Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Academically Iowa State and Missouri are more like other schools in the BigTen. Rutgers would impose high travel costs on the western schools. Penn State is the only school even remotely close to them.

My preferences in order would be
    Missouri
    Iowa State
    Notre Dame
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Academically Iowa State and Missouri are more like other schools in the BigTen. Rutgers would impose high travel costs on the western schools. Penn State is the only school even remotely close to them.

My preferences in order would be
    Missouri
    Iowa State
    Notre Dame
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    Don't like Iowa State. I think they would be a Big 10 bottom feeder. I don't think you want to add a school like that. Don't know much about Missouri academically except that they have a very good School of Journalism. They would also attract midwest markets of St Louis and Kansas City. Notre Dame would help the athletics as well as help academically. Remember University of Chicago is still a member of the Big 10 academically because of their focus on academics.

I wonder if Ohio State, mainly the state of Ohio would put up a fight about UC joining the Big 10. I wonder if it would skew the state money away from the other state schools and put it in OSU and UC's pockets. Big 10 = more money = more exposure = more students = less students at the other state universities.

Louisville would be a good athletic choice. I don't know about their academics as well as their association with the south.

If ND and Missouri decline I would be ok with Pitt, another midwest city. Don't want Rutgers or Syracuse. Too much travel and too far east. Could you imagine the women's soccer team from Indiana having to travel to Syracuse?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

This is a post from another MB. Pure fantasy, but an interesting idea.

I think the big ten should be no more. I would add 3 teams and create the Power 14 Conference.

East:
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    WVU
    Pitt
    Purdue

West:
    Iowa
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Indiana
    Illinois
    Northwestern
    Notre Dame

Adding three instead of one would be a major addition. Each team would play the 6 teams from their division. They would be allowed to play 4 nonconference games. And then 2 games on a home-home rotational basis from the other division.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...atement-today/

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

If Missouri goes, then I would much rather see the Big XII take Arkansas. As much as I am a SEC fan, I think Arkansas would fare a LOT better in that conference than Houston.
    Not to get too far off-topic. But, If Arkansas were to bolt for the Big XII, could you see the SEC going after Georgia Tech as a replacement?

This is kinda interesting...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...xpansion-texas

No way this would ever happen, but this is the only team that I heard mentioned that I got excited about.

I think if they got 12 teams, the East would be stacked.

A North-South would work if they landed Mizzou or Rutgers.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Not to get too far off-topic. But, If Arkansas were to bolt for the Big XII, could you see the SEC going after Georgia Tech as a replacement?
    No one is leaving the SEC at least until their recently signed ESPN contract expires.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The Texas thing would never happen, but it does bring up the interesting point that the Big 10 Network is a nice draw for recruiting a new school.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I think that academically any school under consideration is going to have to have strong credentials and that includes graduate programs. I think any school under consideration is going to have to have a highly regarded graduate school, law school and medical school. Looking beyond the obvious choice of Notre Dame, I think Mizzou, Pitt, WVU, UC, Louisville, Syracuse, and of course Texas all fit that bill. I think that puts Iowa State and any MAC Schools (sorry Miami pipedreamers) on the outside looking in. Schools like Rutgers and UConn get mentioned as well, but I don't think they have football programs that could compete in the Big 10 and I don't think the Big 10 is looking to add more football patsies.

I think Texas is intriguing if only because there has been discussion between Texas and the Big 10 before, so it's not as if it's just someone's idle fantasy. Mizzou would probably work. I think another option is to go to 14 by adding Pitt, WVU and a school like ND, Mizzou or Texas.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Incidentally, if the Big 10 does grab Rutgers, and I'm the Big East football members, I'd boot the hoops schools, push all-in and make a power play for Boston College, Maryland, Duke, North Carolina, and either Wake Forest or Memphis.

You'd have far-and-away the premier basketball conference in America to keep Dickie V happy (and get a fat contract from one of the networks), and a football conference that is good enough to maintain AQ status.

You know, while we're playing "fantasy commish" and all.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

This is a post from another MB. Pure fantasy, but an interesting idea.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...atement-today/
    All the scenarios in which the Big Ten has been divided East/West that I've seen that has IU and Purdue split up has Purdue in the East and IU in the West. Why is this? West Lafayette is farther west than Bloomington (and South Bend for that matter).

To answer the other question, Notre Dame would be far and away my number one choice for the 12th team. My second choice would be Pitt.

I could see Georgia Tech possibly given the overall sports package and the Atlanta media market.

The one I would like to see get a look is Memphis. I would be worried with football, but the basketball possibilities are endless. The rivalry with Tennessee would be intensified and it would also create an edge with Kentucky as well. Makes even better sense geographically since Memphis is in the western part of the state and would fit into the SEC West. That and a Memphis media market and a possible NBA arena for the SEC tournament in a centralized location.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Also, to add to my previous thought, it would be a shame for IU and Purdue to be in separate divisions as it is the conference's premier basketball rivalry (yes, I'll admit to being a Purdue fan).

I'm guessing one of the Big East teams would need a serious reason to move and the Big Ten might not have that much pull.

I'm guessing they focus on an A-10 team like Temple.

But Miami (OH) sure would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    This is kinda interesting...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...xpansion-texas

No way this would ever happen, but this is the only team that I heard mentioned that I got excited about.
    The only way that would happen is if Oklahoma came with them.

Turn Off Ads?