Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

Re: This Is Pete Rose's Corked Bat

Is there any evidence that Pete used said corked bats during the games?

Does he deserve the benefit of the doubt on that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

No, he lost that privilege quite some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, he lost that privilege quite some time ago.
    Once guilty, always guilty?

A friend of mine, who is a common pleas court judge, told me that when weighing the testimony of a witness, if a juror has found the witness to be dishonest in one part of his testimony then he can dismiss the entire testimony as being unreliable.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

No. Not really.

IF you read the article, you have to come to the conclusion that either one of the owners of the bat has inserted the cork OR that Rose used the bat in a game situation.

It's really tough to believe that one of the owners of the bat would take what they believe to be a very expensive bit of baseball memorabilia and start cutting on it.

It's much easier to say Rose was at least occasionally using corked bats at the end of his career. Does anybody think that would be out of character?

What I don't get is the "holier than thou" attitude being applied. Baseball has a long history of players bending the rules in order to take every advantage they could. That's not just Pete, that's everybody.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    No. Not really.

IF you read the article, you have to come to the conclusion that either one of the owners of the bat has inserted the cork OR that Rose used the bat in a game situation.

It's really tough to believe that one of the owners of the bat would take what they believe to be a very expensive bit of baseball memorabilia and start cutting on it.

It's much easier to say Rose was at least occasionally using corked bats at the end of his career. Does anybody think that would be out of character?

What I don't get is the "holier than thou" attitude being applied. Baseball has a long history of players bending the rules in order to take every advantage they could. That's not just Pete, that's everybody.
    From Deadspin

Bill Schubert's bat was authenticated by Sports Investments, which had received it directly from Pete Rose, so the chain of custody was as pristine as it gets. Still, there was no way to prove it had actually been used in a regular-season game, rather than, say, in batting practice or spring training.

I would think it would be quite easy to tell if the cork was added later. Seems to me it would have to be re-painted and it would be very difficult to match the old paint

Once guilty, always guilty?
    You asked if he deserved the benefit of doubt, I said he didn't, as far as guilt I don't really care, and as dfs noted, getting an edge in baseball is as american as apple pie and chevrolet's.

I'm not shocked whether it's true or BS.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Except that the Deadspin article says that the value of the bat, if corked, is more than 20X higher corked than not corked.

A game-used PR4192 bat could go for $5,000 or more. But a proven corked bat is unique; no one has any idea how high the bidding could go. Certainly six figures.
    Would an owner of this bat want to increase the value from $5,000 to more than $100,000? Nah, that wouldn't be enough to make anyone fake a corked bat, would it?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Would an owner of this bat want to increase the value from $5,000 to more than $100,000? Nah, that wouldn't be enough to make anyone fake a corked bat, would it?
    I agree, it sounds like this guy is trying to make a buck, I dont blame him for trying to make money, its a non issue, the hit record is Pete's and it will be his for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I agree, it sounds like this guy is trying to make a buck, I dont blame him for trying to make money, its a non issue, the hit record is Pete's and it will be his for a long time
    The HR record is Bonds' and will be for a long time, well until AROD breaks it and then it'll be his.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    The HR record is Bonds' and will be for a long time, well until AROD breaks it and then it'll be his.
    youre right about that, I think unless they let Pete in the hall then all the junkies dont deserve to go either, they did let Ricky Henderson in, so they did slip up
    Last edited by icehole3; 06-09-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post

I see denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Pete urinated away all his credibility many many years ago.

If he told me that the sky is blue and the clouds is white and the grass was is green and the mud is brown, I would go look and see for myself and make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    youre right about that, I think unless they let Pete in the hall then all the junkies dont deserve to go either, they did let Ricky Henderson in, so they did slip up
    If all he did was cork his bat, I'd be in favor of him getting into the Hall. Betting on baseball is worse than PEDs, corking, spitters.....etc.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?