Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 11/17

Birthdays: 11/17

Reds:

Darnell McDonald (33) -Seems to have found a home in Boston. Good for him.

Tom Seaver (67) -I read that he's the only member of the Hall Of Fame who's wearing a Mets cap on his plaque. Can this be true?

Orlando Pena (78) -Reds reliever in the late '50s who went on to play 14 seasons in the bigs. I had his baseball card one year and he looked 78 back then; Lord knows what he looks like now.

Others:

Ryan Braun (28) -Highlight of his career so far? Probably shooting a commercial with Marisa Miller.

Mitch Williams (47) - Right after his retirement, he opened a bowling alley. In 1996, some TV producers set up a bowling match between Mitch and Joe Carter, in remembrance of their confrontation in the 1993 World Series. Mitch bragged that since he owned an alley and practiced every day he would dominate. Carter, who was an excellent bowler, rolled a strike between his legs on the first ball and went on to defeat Williams handily.

Gary Bell (75) Three-time all-star best remembered now as a character in Ball Four.

George Stallings -Manager of the 1914 miracle Boston Braves and a lot of other good teams.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 11/17

I think you may be correct about Seaver and his HOF plaque. I doubt Nolan Ryan used a Met cap on his plaque. I can't think of anyone else who may have. When Gooden and Strawberry were in their prime I would have thought they were shoo-ins for the HOF. But they just couldn't stay away from that drug habit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Darnell McDonald (33) -Seems to have found a home in Boston. Good for him.

Tom Seaver (67) -I read that he's the only member of the Hall Of Fame who's wearing a Mets cap on his plaque. Can this be true?

Orlando Pena (78) -Reds reliever in the late '50s who went on to play 14 seasons in the bigs. I had his baseball card one year and he looked 78 back then; Lord knows what he looks like now.
    Adding Ray Lamanno...a catcher for the Reds in 1941 and 1942. Then served in the US Navy '43 thru '45. Returned to play '46 thru '48. He was part of the 1946 All-Star squad and he caught Ewell Blackwell's no-hitter in 1947.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think you may be correct about Seaver and his HOF plaque. I doubt Nolan Ryan used a Met cap on his plaque. I can't think of anyone else who may have. When Gooden and Strawberry were in their prime I would have thought they were shoo-ins for the HOF. But they just couldn't stay away from that drug habit.
    Agreed on Gooden & Strawberry, just a shame.

As for other Mets in the Hall....

Casey Stengel
    George Weiss
    Ralph Kiner
    Gary Carter

I'm assuming Carter is wearing an expo hat. No clue on the other 3 as they weren't inducted as players but broadcasters/management (as far as the Mets are concerned...obviously Kiner's in there for his play with the Pirates). Do those guys even wear hats in the hall?
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 11-17-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agreed on Gooden & Strawberry, just a shame.

As for other Mets in the Hall....

Casey Stengel
    George Weiss
    Ralph Kiner
    Gary Carter

I'm assuming Carter is wearing an expo hat. No clue on the other 3 as they weren't inducted as players but broadcasters/management (as far as the Mets are concerned...obviously Kiner's in there for his play with the Pirates). Do those guys even wear hats in the hall?
    Yes they wear hats except for the executives like Weiss. Carter is an Expo. I'm sure Kiner is a Pirate in the HOF and Stengel is a Yankee.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Mitch Williams (47) - Right after his retirement, he opened a bowling alley. In 1996, some TV producers set up a bowling match between Mitch and Joe Carter, in remembrance of their confrontation in the 1993 World Series. Mitch bragged that since he owned an alley and practiced every day he would dominate. Carter, who was an excellent bowler, rolled a strike between his legs on the first ball and went on to defeat Williams handily.
    that's just wonderful.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?