Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redszone is the smartest place on the web-lets help Walt get a stud pitcher....

Redszone is the smartest place on the web-lets help Walt get a stud pitcher....

Alright, I'm already sick of hearing about Lee rumors so in an effort to "make it stop", lets help Walt land the stud starter that will all but surely get you divorced for maxing out the gold card on World Series tickets.

The premises are: 1) the Reds have a better chance of improving themselves by involving multiple teams than if they are the highest bidder on ebay for Lee and 2) Jocketty is a talented GM that can work deals that make sense by matching realistic components that can easily be rationalized based upon what fits each participant's best interests (i.e. Walt is smart, other GMs are too but Walt is smarter because he knows how to connect the dots).

As a idea starter, this was posted in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Reds need to hopelessly complicate things by involving at least four teams...

Uggla to the Rockies, Johnson and Snyder to the Reds, a badaggle of near ready prospects to Florida and something to the Dbacks so that they can say they didn't sell Snyder for greed...maybe the Reds can use Alonso to the Ms and Lee to somebody and somebody's stuff to Florida to help too...
    Clearly that's throwing a wild idea into a noisy room... But what can the Redszone braintrust come up with? Lets hammer out a deal that Walt and the other participants simply can't walk away from....

What dots can be connected?
    Last edited by jojo; 07-03-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Redszone is the smartest place on the web-lets help Walt get a stud pitcher....

Here is my question first.... which NL teams have a rotation that the Reds can't match up with? By my count its only the Phillies and the Cardinals. I am not against acquiring a starter, but it most certainly wouldn't be something I would worry about if we didn't have one by August 1st short of the Phillies or Cardinals acquiring another ACE.

Re: Redszone is the smartest place on the web-lets help Walt get a stud pitcher....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Here is my question first.... which NL teams have a rotation that the Reds can't match up with? By my count its only the Phillies and the Cardinals. I am not against acquiring a starter, but it most certainly wouldn't be something I would worry about if we didn't have one by August 1st short of the Phillies or Cardinals acquiring another ACE.
    I only used starter as an example because of the recent fixation on Lee but really any area of weakness is fair game be it pen, ss, catcher, LF etc...

I threw out an idea that improved the Reds' chances this year and made their 25 man roster better the next several too...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

DING DING DING DING! We have a winner.

This is my point all along. When did our starting rotation become the concern?

I'm still trying to get past the aprt where RZ is the smartest place.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm still trying to get past the aprt where RZ is the smartest place.
    With spelling like that, I am wondering too! :

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    DING DING DING DING! We have a winner.

This is my point all along. When did our starting rotation become the concern?
    Opening day?

It's in the lower third by nearly every measure. There aren't any pitching categories where it's above average.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Opening day?

It's in the lower third by nearly every measure. There aren't any pitching categories where it's above average.
    Sure Nate, but go 1-2-3 with Volquez, Cueto and Arroyo. What teams other than the two I mentioned where you would be concerned the Reds aren't at least even with the team on the other side in the NL.

Sure Nate, but go 1-2-3 with Volquez, Cueto and Arroyo. What teams other than the two I mentioned where you would be concerned the Reds aren't at least even with the team on the other side in the NL.
    For the purposes of a pennant run, it's tough to pencil in Volquez as your #1 starter this season isn't it? Truthfully, he's got a lot to prove ignoring the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    For the purposes of a pennant run, it's tough to pencil in Volquez as your #1 starter this season isn't it? Truthfully, he's got a lot to prove ignoring the injury.
    I was just naming our 3. Go Arroyo-Cueto-Volquez. Is there a three man rotation that worries you that is clearly outclassing those guys that aren't the Phillies/Cardinals?

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Just about the entire NL West.

High five!

Well, to me, the Padres, Marlins, Rockies, Giants.

And I like the guy but which Volquez am I getting? When? For how long?

Wouldn't you like to go into the playoffs with Lee substituted for one of those names?

I was just naming our 3. Go Arroyo-Cueto-Volquez. Is there a three man rotation that worries you that is clearly outclassing those guys that aren't the Phillies/Cardinals?
    Arroyo doesn't miss bats. That scares me. Volquez again is a big question mark. He had a break through season before the injury and looked to be a FIP=4ish arm and who knows if he'll be friends with the strikezone this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Just about the entire NL West.
    The Rockies have Ubaldo and a rookie in Chacin who has never thrown 180 innings in a season. In the playoffs, Chacin isn't likely a factor. After Ubaldo then, who do they have?

The Dodgers have who? Kershaw is their ace and he walks nearly 5 guys per 9 innings. In the playoffs, that doesn't worry me one bit. Kuroda and Billingsley are good, but not exactly guys I would be bothered by matching up with any of our top 3 guys.

The Padres best starter is Mat Latos. His career high IP is 122. He is also 22 years old. He won't be starting in the playoffs. Then they have a bunch of guys who don't miss bats in their rotation who are likely posting good ERA's because of the park they play in. Only Richard outside of Latos even has a 2.00 or better K/BB rate in the rotation and he is at 2.13. Why are you worried about that rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Well, to me, the Padres, Marlins, Rockies, Giants.

And I like the guy but which Volquez am I getting? When? For how long?

Wouldn't you like to go into the playoffs with Lee substituted for one of those names?
    I would like Lee, but I am not handing them Mesoraco and Wood to get it done either.

Turn Off Ads?