Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Anybody else studying for the CPA?

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    It was really tough. I read an article from the AICPA saying 74's are really rare. I wanted to find that guy and ask him what was going on if that was true.

I started MBA classes this fall also. I really need to finish this last section this window also because the CPA exam format changes in January. They add international standards in January and I really don't want to deal with learning that.
    Yea, I know about the addition of IFRS. I actually think it will help my score, because UD is shoving IFRS down our throats. Good luck on the last part though man.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since my last post on the thread I passed the CPA, not quite how I expected though. I passed my first three sections, and failed BEC with a 74. I don't know how you got four 74's and kept going, I was ready to crawl in a hole and quit after one. Luckily I passed BEC on the second try and have been licensed for just over a year.

I also just passed my series 7 exam, and I start studying tomorrow for the series 66 which I take in a couple weeks. I feel like I will never be done studying and taking tests, even though I may actually be done with my test taking for good in two short weeks.

My advice to anyone that is studying for the CPA, if you really want to pass and not throw a ton of money down the drain, study your arse off for 4-6 weeks. Do every multiple choice question you can get your hands on, and make sure you understand the concepts. Schedule your test for a Tuesday and take Monday off work. Lock yourself to your desk chair from Saturday morning until Monday night before the exam and do practice tests from morning until night. Your life will suck, but it will be over shortly. Trust me, I like to party as much as anyone and it killed me spending my Friday and Saturday nights before the exam studying, but I made myself do it and it worked for me.

The CPA isn't easy, but that's because it's a lot of material to know, not because it's brain surgery. If you put in the time, you will pass it. I'm not talking about spending two nights a week studying, I'm talking about spending 2-3 hours every night after work for a month or so, and dedicating a good chunk of your weekends to studying. If you try and study off and on and don't give it 100% effort there's a good chance you will not pass. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Since my last post on the thread I passed the CPA, not quite how I expected though. I passed my first three sections, and failed BEC with a 74. I don't know how you got four 74's and kept going, I was ready to crawl in a hole and quit after one. Luckily I passed BEC on the second try and have been licensed for just over a year.

I also just passed my series 7 exam, and I start studying tomorrow for the series 66 which I take in a couple weeks. I feel like I will never be done studying and taking tests, even though I may actually be done with my test taking for good in two short weeks.

My advice to anyone that is studying for the CPA, if you really want to pass and not throw a ton of money down the drain, study your arse off for 4-6 weeks. Do every multiple choice question you can get your hands on, and make sure you understand the concepts. Schedule your test for a Tuesday and take Monday off work. Lock yourself to your desk chair from Saturday morning until Monday night before the exam and do practice tests from morning until night. Your life will suck, but it will be over shortly. Trust me, I like to party as much as anyone and it killed me spending my Friday and Saturday nights before the exam studying, but I made myself do it and it worked for me.

The CPA isn't easy, but that's because it's a lot of material to know, not because it's brain surgery. If you put in the time, you will pass it. I'm not talking about spending two nights a week studying, I'm talking about spending 2-3 hours every night after work for a month or so, and dedicating a good chunk of your weekends to studying. If you try and study off and on and don't give it 100% effort there's a good chance you will not pass. Good luck.
    Did you take the test all at once Redlegs? I'm thinking of taking two sections in February and two sections in March with about two weeks between each section.
    I figure that plus all the time I've spent on accounting this fall should leave me prepared to take the exam.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I think took on in October, one in December, one in January, and the last one in May after I got out of tax season. Failed the one in May with a 74 and re-took it in July.

I would take financial first to get it out of the way, it's definitely the hardest with the most material. I know a couple horror stories of people taking it last and not being able to pass it, and ultimately they started losing credits and had to re-take multiple sections because they couldn't pass financial.

I received my final passing score this morning. I am now officially (pending passage of an Ethics exam) a CPA.... Glad to have the whole process behind me. Good look to every one else still going through. Just keep at it.

Congratulations Cincy Jacket. That's fantastic news.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

So I got my first grade back, 74 on the Reg exam. Something I just considered, all failing grades aren't labeled as 74 correct?
    I really was 1 point away from passing?

In either case, fiddlesticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    So I got my first grade back, 74 on the Reg exam. Something I just considered, all failing grades aren't labeled as 74 correct?
    I really was 1 point away from passing?

In either case, fiddlesticks.
    Sucks man. Sorry, all failing grades aren't labeled as 74. You failed by one point. I've been there, believe me.

Still haven't passed by the way. A solid 3+ years after starting this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Sucks man. Sorry, all failing grades aren't labeled as 74. You failed by one point. I've been there, believe me.

Homer, I never noticed this thread.

I just wrote for my CA a week ago (that would be the equivalency in Canada), not sure how your's works, but we can only write for ours once a year, and if you fail, you have to wait until the next year. As well, you only get 3 attempts and then you're out. I have to wait until December to get my marks back. It's considered such a difficult exam here that you have to take 2 and a half months off from work just to study for the damn thing.

Anyways, sorry to hear it's been a rough go for you, and certainly hope you turn things around soon.

Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Homer, I never noticed this thread.

I just wrote for my CA a week ago (that would be the equivalency in Canada), not sure how your's works, but we can only write for ours once a year, and if you fail, you have to wait until the next year. As well, you only get 3 attempts and then you're out. I have to wait until December to get my marks back. It's considered such a difficult exam here that you have to take 2 and a half months off from work just to study for the damn thing.

Anyways, sorry to hear it's been a rough go for you, and certainly hope you turn things around soon.
    Our process is very different, but good luck with your marks. Sounds like a pretty daunting process up there.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Dude.
    I know man. It's just impossible to do once you start working. I'm going to have to take a sabbatical next spring to get this thing over and done with for good. Very frustrating.

Almost 5 years after starting this thread, I can proudly announced I have officially passed the CPA exam.

14. Likes:

JB12 (06-24-2013),oneupper (06-30-2013),Razor Shines (06-24-2013)

Congrats HB. Welcome to the brotherhood!

Almost 5 years after starting this thread, I can proudly announced I have officially passed the CPA exam.
    You still decided to go through with that? I would rather you were more secure in your career as a pitcher but congrats all the same.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

17. Likes:

Homer Bailey (06-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    You still decided to go through with that? I would rather you were more secure in your career as a pitcher but congrats all the same.
    It took him about 5 years to reach his full potential as a pitcher, it only makes sense that he saw it through at about 5 years to become a CPA.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

Homer Bailey (06-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?