Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zachary Cozart

Zachary Cozart

Does anyone know anything about this kid. He showed improvement at Dayton last year, skipped Sarasota and is now doing well at AA. Seems like a decent fielder for short also. Not to many errors.

Is he on anyone's charts as the Reds future shortstop?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zachary Cozart

The original word on Cozart that he was a pretty good defender w/ a very shaky bat. I saw him play 1x last year at Dayton, and while he didn't have any chances to "flash" his defense, I was very impressed with his stick. Hit the ball very solid 3 of the 4 at bats I saw, with a pretty good idea of what to do w/ the bat (ie hit the ball the other way to move a runner over, etc...) It was around that same time that people (ie redzoners) started taking note of his bat as well. Seems like the scouts are coming around as well on his bat.

From what I saw the 1x, and what I've read, I think he's got a solid shot to make the majors, and if his bat is legit, he could be a very solid starter at SS, or a valuable trading chip.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

When Cozart was drafted, his bat was extremely questionable. He made some adjustments last season with his swing and actually showed some good skills with the bat. His walk rate was still a little bit low, but hitting the ball seemed to be going well. This year he is off to a strong start, but even more impressive if you ask me is his 4 walks and 2 K's. If he can continue to just control the strikezone, he will be good. His glove is ready for the majors today. His bat is still a question mark, but its made large improvements since he was drafted. His bat may be the most important in the system because if it can play in the majors, his glove fills a giant hole for the Reds that no one else in the system can really handle.

Doug, how does his defense compare with Janish'?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Doug, how does his defense compare with Janish'?
    Better range, lesser arm (but still good).

He's my sleeper pick for breakout minor leaguer. If he hits in Sarasota, we may have something nice on our hands...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    He's my sleeper pick for breakout minor leaguer. If he hits in Sarasota, we may have something nice on our hands...
    If he hits in Sarasota we really will.... thats a long way to Carolina where he is playing at

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If he hits in Sarasota we really will.... thats a long way to Carolina where he is playing at
    Ha, sorry, that's what I meant.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So on the 20-80 scale for power, where would that put him, scratching 65?

Cozart had another big night tonight as he went 3-for-5 with a double, home run, and 3 RBI. Through 29 plate appearances, Cozart is hitting .440/.517/.640 - 1.157 OPS with 4 BB/4 K. Obviously he's won't continue hitting at that pace, but if he can OPS around .800, he could be a very good player. His defense is that good.

Cozart is hitting .440/.517/.640 - 1.157 OPS with 4 BB/4 K. Obviously he's won't continue hitting at that pace
    Ten bucks says he finishes the season with that exact line.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Ten bucks says he finishes the season with that exact line.
    Only ten bucks? Come on. Make it a 100 and you have a deal.

Let's bring him up.

Ok, maybe not yet, but I like moving guys from AA to the show if they flash serious talent. We need a SS, so later in the year maybe just maybe it could and should be a consideration.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I like moving guys from AA to the show if they flash serious talent.
    Or if the big club flashes serious need.

Paul Cozart "Managers rated him the best fielding shortstop in the Midwest League in 2008..." Through June 28th, Cozart is hitting very well at Carolina in AA ball, .287/.371/.454 for an OPS of .825. Not bad at all for a kid who skipped High A ball.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Turn Off Ads?