Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandal vs. Mesoraco

-The Insider-

Re: Grandal vs. Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Can Mesoraco play LF?
    I highly doubt it. I'm almost positive it's a no.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If he progresses at an even pace, I'd think Yorman would be in the OF by 2013 (possible a debut in late 2012). I'd hope that Puckett would be in the mix at 2B too - hopefully with solid power numbers.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If he progresses at an even pace, I'd think Yorman would be in the OF by 2013 (possible a debut in late 2012). I'd hope that Puckett would be in the mix at 2B too - hopefully with solid power numbers.
    Yorman in the Majors at age 19/20 (late 2012 would make that his age at the time) is incredibly aggressive.

I agree with Doug that this is highly unlikely. Yorman is very young and still raw. He has 4 levels left to go, so saying he could make it to the majors by 2013 assumes he can succeed at 2 levels in both 2011 and 2012. That's optimism bordering on delusional, given that this is an 18-year old Venezuelan who's going to have language/culture adjustments to make at each of his minor league stops.

Did someone from RZ just tweet Fay about this?

johnfayman RT @stevenortlieb: Any discussion about trying Grandal at another position in order to keep both him and Mesoraco? #Reds//No. Long way to go

Most of the defensive reviews I've seen suggest that while Mes has the better arm and footwork, Grandal is a much better receiver and game manager. Here's one idea... Mes to 3B.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Most of the defensive reviews I've seen suggest that while Mes has the better arm and footwork, Grandal is a much better receiver and game manager. Here's one idea... Mes to 3B.
    I'm surprised no one else has mentioned that. It makes a lot of sense unless you think that's Frazier's destination, but every hint I've picked up tells me that the Reds see him as the long term solution in left field. Sure, Juan Francisco might be the third baseman of the future, but the odds are very much against him for reasons that have been well-documented and discussed without end. If not one of those guys, then who is it? There's David Vidal, who is reportedly transitioning to catcher, and no one else. Cody Puckett doesn't have the arm, and no one else has the bat except Junior Arias, but let's be real--Arias just turned 19 a couple weeks ago. If he blossoms into a big-time prospect, we won't see any results for probably at least another five years.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I would question when those guys last saw Mesoraco. I just look at the two defensively (scouting report wise on Grandal since I haven't seen him) and can't help but see Mesoraco coming out ahead both now and in the future.

Turn Off Ads?