Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds sign another Catcher

RotoHester

Reds sign another Catcher

Reds Sign Humberto Cota
    By Tim Dierkes [February 2 at 4:05pm CST]
    According to C. Trent Rosecrans of AM 1530, the Reds signed catcher Humberto Cota to a minor league deal. Cota, 30 in a few days, hit .319/.342/.493 in 37 Triple A games last year. He served a 50-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign another Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by wojo1025 View Post
    Reds Sign Humberto Cota
    By Tim Dierkes [February 2 at 4:05pm CST]
    According to C. Trent Rosecrans of AM 1530, the Reds signed catcher Humberto Cota to a minor league deal. Cota, 30 in a few days, hit .319/.342/.493 in 37 Triple A games last year. He served a 50-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.
    Also, Ryan Jorgenson retiered. Good riddance.

Huge signing!!!! Playoffs here we come!!!!

I thought Walt promised "fringe" players, not Humbertos.

To clarify some things in ORG if you are reading the thread from over there about Jorgensen. He was suspended for steroids plain and simple. He is listed in the Mitchell Report and his suspension played a major part in forming the Investigation Division of MLB. I for one am glad to see him gone. Too bad he was replaced with another player tainted with steroid use, but Im sure there is no way Cota is more arrogant than Jorgensen. So ill take Cota over Jorgensen

Quote Originally Posted by wojo1025 View Post
    He served a 50-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.
    If you a'int cheatin', you a'int tryin'.

You want an interesting fact? On July 23, 1999, Cota and Joe Oliver were traded by the Rays to the Pirates for Jose Guillen and Jeff Sparks. The Reds just traded for Cota and Oliver used to play for them. Jeff Sparks was drafted by the Reds and of course Guillen spent time with the Reds as he was just beginning his quest to play for every team in MLB.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

...then Guillen went on to play for Oakland, whose GM was Billy Beane, who will be played in a movie by Brad Pitt, who was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon! I did it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    To clarify some things in ORG if you are reading the thread from over there about Jorgensen. He was suspended for steroids plain and simple. He is listed in the Mitchell Report and his suspension played a major part in forming the Investigation Division of MLB. I for one am glad to see him gone. Too bad he was replaced with another player tainted with steroid use, but Im sure there is no way Cota is more arrogant than Jorgensen. So ill take Cota over Jorgensen
    The arrogance of that guy was pure comic gold to us fans at a Durham Bulls day game against L-Ville a couple seasons back, Ryan had a thing for the bud girl (not a real bud girl, but the girl selling beer at the stand down the left field line by the bullpen) and hit on her the ENTIRE game, letting all fans in those sections know about it as he turned and stared at her the whole game, adn even got some kid to keep tkaing her baseablls with notes he had written on them for her, telling her he loved her, to come visit him, etc, it was funny. The fans ended up having a game with him over it, one older guy calling him out and Ryan asked why he was "c@&*blocking him" outloud for everyone to hear, which got a laugh.

cota has a chance to be the next steve christmas or even dave van gorder, you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    I thought Walt promised "fringe" players, not Humbertos.
    Agreed. Cota doesnt even merit a "fringe" designation. I dont see him breaking through.

We need all the catcher depth we can get.
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    If you a'int cheatin', you a'int tryin'.
    S.E.C. man?

Thank God. I am so glad we didnt abandon the 3 catcher philosophy. (sarcasm)

I like saying his name though. HUMBERTO....

Turn Off Ads?