Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Hall of Fame

Re: Redszone Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I guess I would suggest the process as such:

Once a year, we have a nomination process. The moderators could field the nominations. The minimum criteria would be certain time in rank and maybe a threshold of number of posts (though I agree with Ron I wouldn't set the number too high, but I do think there should be a minimum as this is supposed to be not just about quality, but longevity and amount of quality).

Anyone fielding at least two nominations will go up for the ballot.

The moderators then propose the Hall of Fame ballot and I would propose that both Sun Deck and ORG members vote on it (though results are hidden). The reason I propose Sun Deck members vote too is because they often read the ORG and have an objective view about the best members.

My proposal is that we set the number at 75% of the votes for admission into the Hall of Fame.

We could have the first ballot be a little bigger to account for past members that aren't necessarily active anymore. Some of the past great posters could be included on that first ballot (or subsequent ballots if they're not voted in).

Though it seems counterintuitive, if we wanted to avoid hurt feelings, we could avoid a discussion thread on the topic except for nominations. This would somewhat lessen the chance it gets too sensitive.
    I don't see the upside here. Once someone is nominated, if there is discussion on his/her merits, feelings are going to be hurt. someone will dissent eventually.

Besides, in every HOF it usually means that person is retired. I prefer yearly awards because there are no hard feelings.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't see the upside here. Once someone is nominated, if there is discussion on his/her merits, feelings are going to be hurt. someone will dissent eventually.

Besides, in every HOF it usually means that person is retired. I prefer yearly awards because there are no hard feelings.
    Like I said, if we're worried about hurt feelings, why do we already have a class society separating the best posters from the folks on the Sun Deck? If that's truly an issue, we should go back to one board.

Several people have already commented they think it's a neat idea. So if it is, then I think we shouldn't let the possibility of a few people getting their feelings hurt stop us from doing it. I'm all for doing it in a way we can limit the possibility, but I see no reason why we can't do it. Awards, merits, honors are given in almost every facet of life at the risk of someone having their feelings hurt. I just think that's a petty reason not to do something. Do we have to give trophies for last place these days?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Brutus, you make some good points, but if we're going to (re)institute an accolades system, I'd prefer we start with the yearly awards that we've had in the past. It's something we used to have and I never heard a negative word uttered about the process; personally speaking, I enjoyed them quite a bit. If there's enough interest to make this happen and things go as well as they have in the past, I'm certainly open to reconsidering your suggestion. I'd rather start a bit smaller with something we've successfully done before and see how the yearly awards goes over first, though, before potentially attempting your idea. That will be kind of a guinea pig to see if there's enough interest to make this type of idea work.

I really enjoyed the old Annual RedsZone Postees Awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I really enjoyed the old Annual RedsZone Postees Awards.
    I think Sava used to start that thread every year.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

most handsome poster (The Raisor Award)
    damn right

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    damn right

Sure, now that you've shaved off your beard no one else has a chance.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Like I said, if we're worried about hurt feelings, why do we already have a class society separating the best posters from the folks on the Sun Deck? If that's truly an issue, we should go back to one board.

Several people have already commented they think it's a neat idea. So if it is, then I think we shouldn't let the possibility of a few people getting their feelings hurt stop us from doing it. I'm all for doing it in a way we can limit the possibility, but I see no reason why we can't do it. Awards, merits, honors are given in almost every facet of life at the risk of someone having their feelings hurt. I just think that's a petty reason not to do something. Do we have to give trophies for last place these days?
    Something about this post was bugging me, and I finally figured it out.

You are right. We don't have to give out trophies for last place. Where you are wrong is not everything is a competition. The reason tORG was separated from tSD was that the established members of Redszone had built a community that was comforable. There were rules posted but almost no violators. We left the old cinci.com board to get away from trolls, flame posts and edgy language (see edgy language thread ) Like it or not, the new people had to prove they can contribute in a way acceptable to the existing community. And they weren't doing a good job.

And now you want to segregate another group, by placing a fewat yet another level? why? There is absolutely no upside to this idea. IMO Redszone has one HOFer... Old Red Guard. Look for the post that tORG was essentially founded on. I think it's archived.

I've been here a long time. I've been right a few times, wrong a few times and part of the masses almost all the time. Some here I consider casual friends, though we have never met. Some I miss terribly because they left and their wit and wisdom were a bright point to a day or week. Some I wouldn't say hi to if we passed on the street. I don't need to see them in a Virtual Hall of Fame.

The yearly awards are fun, light hearted, offer no special privileges and are not taken so seriously that we offend anyone. It's about as much of a competition as a David Letterman Top 10 List.

So count me against a HOF idea.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I demand inclusion on the first ballot!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

damn right
    Man how I wish I still had that picture of you and the bunnies. I need to see if I can find that bad boy....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Man how I wish I still had that picture of you and the bunnies. I need to see if I can find that bad boy....
    I have it at home

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Ask and ye shall receive.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Enshrine Puffy and Raisor and then burn it to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Enshrine Puffy and Raisor and then burn it to the ground.
    Hopefully with both of them still inside....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Something about this post was bugging me, and I finally figured it out.

You are right. We don't have to give out trophies for last place. Where you are wrong is not everything is a competition. The reason tORG was separated from tSD was that the established members of Redszone had built a community that was comforable. There were rules posted but almost no violators. We left the old cinci.com board to get away from trolls, flame posts and edgy language (see edgy language thread ) Like it or not, the new people had to prove they can contribute in a way acceptable to the existing community. And they weren't doing a good job.

And now you want to segregate another group, by placing a fewat yet another level? why? There is absolutely no upside to this idea. IMO Redszone has one HOFer... Old Red Guard. Look for the post that tORG was essentially founded on. I think it's archived.

I've been here a long time. I've been right a few times, wrong a few times and part of the masses almost all the time. Some here I consider casual friends, though we have never met. Some I miss terribly because they left and their wit and wisdom were a bright point to a day or week. Some I wouldn't say hi to if we passed on the street. I don't need to see them in a Virtual Hall of Fame.

The yearly awards are fun, light hearted, offer no special privileges and are not taken so seriously that we offend anyone. It's about as much of a competition as a David Letterman Top 10 List.

So count me against a HOF idea.

This is a very good post IMHO.

Turn Off Ads?