Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 10/25

Birthdays- 10/25

Reds:

Andy McGaffigan (55) -a Red in the mid-'80s.

Russ Meyer -Pitched briefly for the Reds in 1956; his nickname was "The Mad Monk".

Others:

Pedro Martinez (40) -For a while, he had the best winning percentage of any 200-game winner; he has since slipped behind Whitey Ford.

Roy Smalley (59) -Gene Mauch's nephew, and a fine player until he hurt his back.

Al Cowens -Former Royal OF died at age 50.

Bobby Thomson - Said of his famous homer, "It was the best thing that ever happened to me. It might have been the best thing that ever happened to anyone".

Smoky Joe Wood -At his peak, one of the greatest pitchers ever; after being injured he made a comeback as an outfielder.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Birthdays- 10/25

Oneupper (51)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Oneupper (51)
    Happy Birthday!!!!!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For a Level Playing Field

Happy birthday, oneupper.

I'll never forget being a kid and seeing Al Cowens charge the mound against Ed Farmer of the White Sox (when the White Sox wore those god awful black-n-white uniforms). Hit a grounder in the infield and charged the mound after running 1/2 way to 1st base. Farmer was watching the infielder make the play when Cowens clocked him. Cowens had been HBP by Farmer at another time and was getting revenge. I had never seen that before and do not believe I have seen it again (a trick ya charge the mound thing).

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Bobby Thomson - Said of his famous homer, "It was the best thing that ever happened to me. It might have been the best thing that ever happened to anyone".
    In the 1990s, over 40 years after his famous home run, Thomson received a letter from a former Marine who had been stationed in Korea in 1951:

I was in a bunker in the front line with my buddy listening to the radio. It was contrary to orders, but he was a Giants fanatic. He never made it home and I promised him if I ever got back I'd write and tell you about the happiest moment of his life. It's taken this long to put my feelings into words. On behalf of my buddy, thanks, Bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    In the 1990s, over 40 years after his famous home run, Thomson received a letter from a former Marine who had been stationed in Korea in 1951:

I was in a bunker in the front line with my buddy listening to the radio. It was contrary to orders, but he was a Giants fanatic. He never made it home and I promised him if I ever got back I'd write and tell you about the happiest moment of his life. It's taken this long to put my feelings into words. On behalf of my buddy, thanks, Bobby.

Wow! What a great story!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?