Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick over Heisey

Ludwick over Heisey

So I know it's just the first game of the Spring but Dusty has Ludwick over Heisey in LF and is hitting cleanup. Sign of things to come, or unimportant? I'd be upset if I was Heisey......

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ludwick over Heisey

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    So I know it's just the first game of the Spring but Dusty has Ludwick over Heisey in LF and is hitting cleanup. Sign of things to come, or unimportant? I'd be upset if I was Heisey......
    My bet is that Lud will get the everyday job, at least until he sucks REAL bad.

I realize Heisey's a popular guy here, but I think a lot of people a missing the boat on Ludwick. He could put up some pretty big numbers here.

No big deal. We know what Heisey offers, lets see how Ludwick fits. Come on, it's only spring training and the first game!

I'm going into this open minded because I do think Ludwick can really produce in Cincinnati and I think Heisey can be a solid every day left fielder. If I know anything about Dusty Baker though, this has already been decided before spring training even begins unless Ludwick really falters.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    No big deal. We know what Heisey offers, lets see how Ludwick fits. Come on, it's only spring training and the first game!
    Hence the comment in my post "so I know it's just the first game of the Spring".

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I think his returning to a contending team could do wonders if he still has it in him @32. After being a Cardinal, what motivation could a multi millionaire have going to a dog crap team like S.D. in that big park?

I can't tell you how many times he stung 'em after an int. walk to Pujols a couple of years back....I'm very curious to see what he has left. And btw, he is a great outfielder. Not flashy, but very solid. Over the shouder catches he makes look easy....no laid out diving catches for him. He either runs it down or holds up to play it on the bounce. Nothing gets thru him. Can gun a man out too.

If he can bat .270+ for the Reds he WILL deliver 30 HRs and 90+ RBI. And Votto will see plenty of pitches.
    Last edited by Magdal; 03-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    I think his returning to a contending team could do wonders if he still has it in him @32. After being a Cardinal, what motivation could a multi millionaire have going to a dog crap team like S.D. in that big park?

I can't tell you how many times he stung 'em after an int. walk to Pujols a couple of years back....I'm very curious to see what he has left. And btw, he is a great outfielder. Not flashy, but very solid. Over the shouder catches he makes look easy....no laid out diving catches for him. He either runs it down or holds up to play it on the bounce. Nothing gets thru him. Can gun a man out too.

If he can bat .270+ for the Reds he WILL deliver 30 HRs and 90+ RBI. And Votto will see plenty of pitches.
    If he hits .270 with 30/90 you can punch our ticket to the postseason.

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post

.270/30/90? You do realize he's only hit more than 22 HR's once in his career, correct? I like this as a low key, under the radar sleeper signing, but I'd be thrilled with .260/15/70/.700 with solid defense. Don't see him having a Berkmanesque resurgence however.

Agree. Was never as consistent or productive as Berkman anyway.

Not a fan of this signing, so I'll be rooting very hard for Ryan to prove me wrong.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by LaFlamaBlanca View Post
    .270/30/90? You do realize he's only hit more than 22 HR's once in his career, correct? I like this as a low key, under the radar sleeper signing, but I'd be thrilled with .260/15/70/.700 with solid defense. Don't see him having a Berkmanesque resurgence however.
    True, but that was the only year that he got 500 AB's.

Let me tell you a few things about Luddy: he had come into his own in that bustout year. 37 HR and 113 RBI, but on the last day of the season his BA was .299...you know how much it means to a hitter to hit .300. Tony BENCHED him with one AB left...FOR NO GOOD reason.

When asked after the game why he did it, he said that he didn't know he was at .299 What an agregious lie. Everybody in the dugout knows that kind of thing. (especially a stat crazed manager) Knowbody knows what words were spoken after that game, but he was missused from that day on.

The next season TLR started benching him 2 times a week in favor of Chris Duncan and Ankiel. So here he was, the NL Silver Slugger NOT an everyday player. Finally one of the gutless St. Louis media guys brought it up on a pre-game show, and Ryan said "What have I got to do to play every day?"

Wham! I new that his days were numbered in St. Louis. That was tantamount to questioning Caezar.

I think if Dusty plants him in the 4 or 5 hole and LEAVES him there he will put up decent numbers. He strikes out a lot but is one of the hardest players around to double up. (only 8 GIDP in that one full season)

helluva post. i like heisey as much as the next guy but I am now curious to see what ludwick does with regular ABs. if he can be the clean up hitter for this team the rest of the lineup would look a lot more practical.

To me, Ludwick is the OF version of the current Rolen, w/out the injuries. I believe their production will be very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Not a fan of this signing, so I'll be rooting very hard for Ryan to prove me wrong.
    I haven't been a fan of it either. Was hoping for a LH bat, ala Brad Hawpe.

Turn Off Ads?