Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Trade idea for LF

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Trade idea for LF

Just a feeling, but I'd expect Denorfia to turn an awful shade of pumpkin orange the second he put the uniform back on. Pass.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They're not going to give Denorfia away, nor should they.

IF Denorfia was picked up...watch Dusty start a platoon all of a sudden...and bat Denorfia 2nd ...but Cozart 2nd again when Paul plays in LF, which would be more often.

SOmething tells me the SD front office wont be in a hurry to make any more deals with the Reds...

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    No one ever gives up useful players for nothing. It literally does not happen.
    It's rare and unlikely to happen. I agree on that.

Although John Allen's puppet GMs gave away Gabe White, Scott Sullivan, and a few other guys away for nothing in 2003.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    SOmething tells me the SD front office wont be in a hurry to make any more deals with the Reds...
    The Latos deal was too good for SD to pass up. And even if their return appears at this time to be less than expected, there's still plenty of time left for certain members of that trade to fulfill promise.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm still trying to figure out who said San Diego would trade Denorfia for nothing?

But on the flipside, I'm also still trying to figure who in the world thinks Denorfia has a ton of value?

And finally, why would a last place team be unwilling to trade a 4th outfielder who is 32 years old.

Oh the mysteries of life.

9. Likes:

757690 (04-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out who said San Diego would trade Denorfia for nothing?

But on the flipside, I'm also still trying to figure who in the world thinks Denorfia has a ton of value?

And finally, why would a last place team be unwilling to trade a 4th outfielder who is 32 years old.

Oh the mysteries of life.
    When you propose "low level prospects," you're essentially offering nothing. Denorfia is a good player making next to nothing. Despite looking to be pretty bad over the next 2-3 years, the Padres have a fan base who expect to see some level of on field competence in the mean time. If they get a good offer for a player who is a good bet to help in the future, they'd probably make the trade. But they're going to ask for value. If you were broke, would you sell your iPad for $20?

I'm mystified by the idea that Chris Denorfia is a 4th outfielder. He's got the most AB's of any outfielder on the Padres so he's clearly not being used as their 4th outfielder, and his slash line of .319/.372/.458/.830 doesn't read like that of a 4th outfielder either. I'm not one of the old Deno fans here, but by now he's established himself as a quality everyday major league player. He'd represent a tremendous improvement over Chris Heisey, particularly as a 2nd hitter in our lineup. He'd fit our needs well, is worth inquiring about, and will not be let go easily by the Padres--for at least two reasons: first that they understand the need to field a competitive product for their fans and second, because they know that, at the right moment, they'll get something valuable for him. What they do badly need is starting pitching and a conversation focusing on some of our minor league starting pitching might be worth initiating.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    When you propose "low level prospects," you're essentially offering nothing. Denorfia is a good player making next to nothing. Despite looking to be pretty bad over the next 2-3 years, the Padres have a fan base who expect to see some level of on field competence in the mean time. If they get a good offer for a player who is a good bet to help in the future, they'd probably make the trade. But they're going to ask for value. If you were broke, would you sell your iPad for $20?
    See. I think this is where the argument took a wrong turn.

Surely, no one in their right mind believes the Padres would expect Billy Hamilton or Corcino in return for a 32 year old 4th outfielder?

I think to simplify this thread, what Reds prospects are untouchables in a trade for Denorfia?

I'll start, and this doesn't include major leaguers like Cingrani:
    Hamilton - AAA
    Corcino - AAA
    Lutz - AA
    Rogers - AA
    Barnhart - AA - possibly Hanigan's replacement down the road
    Rodriguez - A+
    Contreras - A+
    Winker - A
    Romano - A
    Stephenson - A
    Cisco - A
    Travieso

Here are who the Reds consider their top 20 prospects:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/p...d=cin#list=cin

1. Hamilton
    2. Stephenson
    3. Cingrani
    4. Corcino
    5. Travieso
    6. Lotzkar
    7. Wright
    8. Buckley
    9. Romano
    10. H Rodriguez
    11. Winker
    12. Cisco
    13. Lamarre
    14. Soto
    15. Rosa
    16. Waldrop
    17. Gelalich
    18. Langfield
    19. Guillon
    20. Garrett

Other than Winker and Cisco, I'd probably trade any of the guys from #6 thru #20. Not crazy about trading Garrett. I'm a little surprised that Lutz and Sharky Rogers aren't on the Reds top 20 list.

I guess after doing this analysis, do you think a top 5 prospect is what it takes to get Denorfia?

If it does. Forget it. Not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'm mystified by the idea that Chris Denorfia is a 4th outfielder. He's got the most AB's of any outfielder on the Padres so he's clearly not being used as their 4th outfielder, and his slash line of .319/.372/.458/.830 doesn't read like that of a 4th outfielder either. I'm not one of the old Deno fans here, but by now he's established himself as a quality everyday major league player. He'd represent a tremendous improvement over Chris Heisey, particularly as a 2nd hitter in our lineup. He'd fit our needs well, is worth inquiring about, and will not be let go easily by the Padres--for at least two reasons: first that they understand the need to field a competitive product for their fans and second, because they know that, at the right moment, they'll get something valuable for him. What they do badly need is starting pitching and a conversation focusing on some of our minor league starting pitching might be worth initiating.
    Hence my bringing up the trade idea.

But would you seriously consider trading a Corcino, Cingrani, Stephenson, Travieso type pitcher? I wouldn't.

I like Sharky Rogers, but maybe it would take someone like him to get Denorfia. I have a soft spot for Sharky, and want to see him succeed in a Reds uniform. I like underdogs. But he's got some good numbers right now and had good numbers last season. Kind of the "forgotten" starting pitcher in the Reds farm system, IMO. Would a Rogers for Denorfia trade get it done?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Chris Denorfia has been a 4th outfielder his entire career. In 8 years as a pro he has 1219 AB's. Last year he played the most he has ever played, and had 348 AB's.

This year he is playing more because Camron Maybin has been injured. Once Maybin is healthy, Denorfia will go back to being the Padres 4th outfielder.

Here is what is mystifying to me.

People think that by losing Denorfia, the Padres will put up a lesser product than they are right now, and lose fans. The Padres are averaging 13k fans a game right now, for 11th in the league. I can guarantee that not a single one of those 13K fans will either buy a ticket or not buy a ticket because Denorfia is either on or not on the team. They are a terrible, last place team with or without him. If Denorfia is traded, that just means more playing time for Kyle Blanks and Mark Kotsay, both of whom are decent MLB players.

As for someone offering more, who? Who is going to need a guy like Denorfia more than the Reds right now? Now or later, the Padres are going to get the same for Denorfia... C level prospects.

In 2009, the Reds traded Jerry Hairston jr., a near perfect comp for Denorfia, a nice 4th outfielder, to the Yankees for Chase Weems.

In 2011, the Reds traded Jonny Gomes, another perfect comp for Denorfia, to the Nationals for Bill Rinehart and Chris Manno.

I would expect that the Padres would not get a better offer than those guys for Denorfia.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

15. Likes:

Redeyecat (04-29-2013),Vottomatic (04-29-2013)

I'm not really plugged into the ins & outs of the D'backs, but I'm pretty partial to Gerardo Parra.

307/.377/.467 thus far.

Seems like every time I read his name it's followed with some variation of "filling in admirably while Adam Eaton gets healthy."

Seems like he'd slide into the two-hole pretty nicely.

Eh?

17. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    I'm not really plugged into the ins & outs of the D'backs, but I'm pretty partial to Gerardo Parra.

307/.377/.467 thus far.

Seems like every time I read his name it's followed with some variation of "filling in admirably while Adam Eaton gets healthy."

Seems like he'd slide into the two-hole pretty nicely.

Eh?
    Angels have outfield depth with Hamilton, Trumbo, Trout, Bourjos. The odd man out usually DH's.

I say go after Bourjos. He's hitting over .300 with an OBP around .370. He has speed and plays a very good CF. Move Choo to LF. Bat Bourjos second.

Angels obviously have needs since they're doing so lousy. DH? Neftali Soto? Pitching prospect? but not Cingrani or Stephenson.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Angels have outfield depth with Hamilton, Trumbo, Trout, Bourjos. The odd man out usually DH's.

I say go after Bourjos. He's hitting over .300 with an OBP around .370. He has speed and plays a very good CF. Move Choo to LF. Bat Bourjos second.

Angels obviously have needs since they're doing so lousy. DH? Neftali Soto? Pitching prospect? but not Cingrani or Stephenson.
    Soto's ceiling is AAAA player. I doubt the Angels are interested.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?