Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You're the GM

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

You're the GM

From Benihana off of ORG:

We've all heard the rumors. We know who's available, and we have an idea of what those teams are looking for. So the question is now- you are the GM. What do you do?

I would first call Jack Z, and make the following offer:

Seattle gets: Alonso, Heisey, Boxberger
    Cincinnati gets: Cliff Lee and Brandon League

I would be willing to slightly increase the offer, perhaps to even Alonso and Mesoraco (no Boxberger or Heisey), but not go much beyond that. If that didn't get it done, I'd turn to Arizona.

Arizona gets: Bailey, Wood, Alonso, and Cozart
    Cincinnati gets: Dan Haren and Stephen Drew

Imagine going into the postseason with Haren headlining the rotation, while going into the next three years with a rotation of:

1. Haren
    2. Cueto
    3. Leake
    4. Volquez
    5. Chapman

and a lineup of

2B Phillips
    SS Drew
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    LF Gomes/Francisco
    CF Stubbs
    C Hanigan/Mesoraco

Wow. I'd consider adding Heisey to that deal if it got it done, especially if the D'backs add Heilman. Thoughts?
    What do you do if you were the Reds GM?

I'm still not crazy about trading Travis Wood.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You're the GM

I definitely want to get a real Ace - Lee, Haren, Oswalt or Greinke are what is being reported that is available.

As for Lee from the M's, all the analysts are saying Seattle has to get a prime Catching prospect in return, if that is the case, forget about getting Lee. Plus the Reds arent going to give him the $16-18 mil a year deal after this season so I think he would only be a rental, therefore not too excited about that one.

The Arizona trade would be great - to get a solid #1 (he is having a rough year so far though but on a bad team) and a good young SS that is only going to get better would be in our interest for sure. I have no problem giving up 3 top level prospects and 1-2 lower tiered ones to get 2 instant starters (well, i guess one would be a replacement of Cabrera in the future).

I still think for this year and the near future, the best thing would be to get Oswalt. Houston is even willing to eat some of his salary. He would replace Harang after 2010 as far as salary goes, we'd be getting Oswalt for the same amount of $. Also, I think we would only have to give up 2 guys to get him - 2 out of these: Homer, Wood, Leake, Heisey, Stubbs, Alonso.

They need a Berkman replacement, so why not start with Alonso and Homer offer?

If i'm giving up 3 top guys for Lee, I'd happily give up 6 for Greinke.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Marlins claim Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson aren't available.

I call the Marlins and blow them away with an offer for Josh Johnson.

I would say look at Greinke and Dejesus, forget about Lee the rental, and the big contract.
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Just to put it out there.... The 700 wlw guy (I forget which one) said that he talked to some Reds sources and said that not only do they want Lee, but they believe that they could keep him for a couple extra years. that would be tight huh?
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    If i'm giving up 3 top guys for Lee, I'd happily give up 6 for Greinke.
    +1,000,000

If I'm giving up that much young talent, I'd much rather have a younger #1 and someone whom I really think we'd have a chance to resign.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Marlins claim Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson aren't available.

I call the Marlins and blow them away with an offer for Josh Johnson.
    Do you trade the farm? I like Johnson, alot. But is he worth 3, 4 or even 5 top prospects? Do you give up leake, wood, alonso, francisco?
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    Do you trade the farm? I like Johnson, alot. But is he worth 3, 4 or even 5 top prospects? Do you give up leake, wood, alonso, francisco?
    Josh Johnson is the best pitcher in baseball this year.

So do you give up Leake, Wood, Alsonso and Francisco for him?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    So do you give up Leake, Wood, Alsonso and Francisco for him?
    Yes

How long would the Reds get to keep him? If we're going to be a great team, we need someone like Johnson. On the other hand, we also need homegrown players to pan out.

through the 2013 season.

His Salary.
    11: $7.75M, 12: $13.75M, 13: $13.75M

Well yeah, I'd make that deal too. The old bird in the hand.

Of course with that much time left on his contract I find it unlikely they are going to deal him. And if they do, it's going to take a ton.

As the Guinness beer commercial states, fortune favors the bold.

Yonder Alonso, Todd Frazier and Travis Wood for Cliff Lee. I would try to keep Wood and Mesoraco, but if it came down to the trading deadline then I would give up Wood.

Turn Off Ads?