Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yondor Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If he signs late, it wouldn't surprise me if the Reds send him to the Fall Instructional League. I guess if he's a Junior and can return to Miami then Boras is technically just "an advisor"? Wonder if he will threaten the Independant League route?
    Boras is not Alonso's agent. It's Greg Ganske.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    No need to screw around here. We took this kid No. 7 overall and he's a proven 21-year-old bat. Sign him and don't worry about pinching pennies. Give me the same attitude I see with going after 16-year-old unproven Dominicans and Venezuelans. Aggressive.

Actually, I'm not too worried about it at all. He will sign. I would just prefer if it was right now so he could get as many ABs as possible with wooden bat. He's not completely foreign to it since he played in the Cape Cod summer league, but if the Reds are going to sign him eventually, might as well do it now.
    IMO he is not a proven bat until he picks up a wooden bat and plays against professionals. I think one of the keys to getting him signed is to see where he is and how long you project him to be ready for the bigs.

how long has it been since the pick ahead of him signed? need to make this happen

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    how long has it been since the pick ahead of him signed? need to make this happen
    I think it is a matter of other college bats signing...The guy ahead of him was a high school player...

This is definitely taking longer than I thought it would. It almost undoubtebly is a money thing. Hopefully the deal gets done soon.

From Fay's blog - according to Jocketty the issue is that Yonder is asking for a major league contract - I don't think they'll be pushing that - signing bonus is one thing but major league contract as all sorts of problems associated with it.

Give it to him, it WILL NOT take him 3 years to get up here and be ready

In my book he could be a mid-season to September call up next year.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Give it to him, it WILL NOT take him 3 years to get up here and be ready

In my book he could be a mid-season to September call up next year.
    It MIGHT not take him three years, but injuries alone could slow that time table.

I just hope he signs by August 1st so he play a month of minor league ball and we can get a feel for how close he is to the majors.

I hope they do not give him a major leauge contract. That's a ridiculous request that may cripple the club when they're competing if he's not ready.

I hope they can get the deal done without that request.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I couldn't care less if he signs a Major League contract or not. Just get him signed! This guy isn't Dane Sardhina. He is going to be in the big leagues and will be there quickly. No need to screw around in the negotiations. Get 'er done!

I'm okay with a ML contract as long as it means his signing bonus is much smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I couldn't care less if he signs a Major League contract or not. Just get him signed! This guy isn't Dane Sardhina. He is going to be in the big leagues and will be there quickly. No need to screw around in the negotiations. Get 'er done!
    I've tried finding it myself, but can someone lay out what the timetable is for a player signed to a major league contract? I know it truncates the time the player is in the minors and I'd like to see what the possible consequences are for offering the guy a ML contract.

I know one consequence is that it eats up a 40 man slot when we wouldn't otherwise have to. I'm guessing the timetable is something like three or four years; and in this case, it may not be a bad risk (the 40 man slot being a larger factor than the development time).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Signing Alonso to a ML contract would mean 1 less spot on the 40-man roster this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I've tried finding it myself, but can someone lay out what the timetable is for a player signed to a major league contract? I know it truncates the time the player is in the minors and I'd like to see what the possible consequences are for offering the guy a ML contract.

I know one consequence is that it eats up a 40 man slot when we wouldn't otherwise have to. I'm guessing the timetable is something like three or four years; and in this case, it may not be a bad risk (the 40 man slot being a larger factor than the development time).
    It's pretty complicated. All players start with three options years.

Let's say Yonder Alonso signs a contract on August 15th, but the Reds call on him as a September call-up on September 1st. That means he was optioned to the minors for less than 20 days, and an option year was not used (regardless of whether he played or not). But if he is optioned to the minors for 20 days or more, then an option years is used, and he would then have only two option years left.

If after his three options years, he still does not have five full years as a pro (one year as a pro equals 90 days on an active pro roster), he qualifies for a fourth option year.

In other words, if the Reds get creative, Alonso would not use an option year in 2008, and for 2009-2012, he could spend each year in the minors, which would mean that he would have to be ready for the Major Leagues in 2013. Like I said, I don't have a problem with Alonso having a major league contract (which would result in him earning slightly more money, since he would be on the 40-man roster) as long as the Reds get a discount on the signing bonus.

Turn Off Ads?