Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

Pete may not be the brightest, but he knows baseball. Someone needs to pay the guy to do the Extra Innings show. Maybe he could stop hocking autographs. He could do the show from Vegas, what's the problem? He'd get sky high ratings, and it would give him a platform to show why he's good for the game and has a lot to offer. This came to me last night when he called Marty on the Hot Stove Show.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

Something tells me it might create problems with the commissioner's office for the station that holds the rights to Reds broadcasts to employ the only living human being who is banned from the sport to have him discuss the sport.
    /r/reds

Did Pete seem so "slow" in the 1970s or is he just getting old. I have seen him interviewed over the past few years and frankly it's hard to watch. As a kid in the 70s I thought he was the greatest ever...wow it's hard to watch your boyhood heros fall apart.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Pete's favorite subject used to be baseball, now it's Pete Rose.

Pass

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pete's favorite subject used to be baseball, now it's Pete Rose.

Pass
    Disagree. He is naturally going to discuss baseball from his perspective and from his experience, but his favorite subject is always going to be baseball. He'll talk to you with gusto about any facet of the game. He's got personal flaws as we all know, but his knowledge of the game is unquestioned as is his passion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Something tells me it might create problems with the commissioner's office for the station that holds the rights to Reds broadcasts to employ the only living human being who is banned from the sport to have him discuss the sport.
    If he is an employee of WLW I doubt MLB would care.

Pete anymore kinda seems a little senile. Which actually might make for entertaining radio.

Pete has his flaws but no doubt he is entertaining.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Pete may not be the brightest, but he knows baseball. Someone needs to pay the guy to do the Extra Innings show. Maybe he could stop hocking autographs. He could do the show from Vegas, what's the problem? He'd get sky high ratings, and it would give him a platform to show why he's good for the game and has a lot to offer. This came to me last night when he called Marty on the Hot Stove Show.
    It's not a bad idea. However - assuming you could get MLB's OK on this, and that's a big if - I think the show is better served by having a local host. Someone who has an idea of what is going on locally.

Secondly, most of the Reds games start at 7:00 p.m. That's 4:00 p.m. Vegas time. So he's basically going to have to spend the next 5 hours watching the game and doing the Extra Innings show. Is he willing to dedicate his evening hours doing that? Most of the time the show is about ranting and raving over the game that just happened. Is Pete really going to stop whatever he's doing at 4 in the afternoon and watch the Reds game? As far as hocking autographs go, that's how the man makes his living. Whatever WLW would pay him to do the show is more than likely a drop in the bucket compared to what he makes signing those autographs.

Third, how long before it starts becoming the Chris Farley Show? "Hey, Pete, remember when you slid head first into 3rd against the Yankees in the World Series? That was awesome."

Fourth, as far as ratings go, since the Reds games get great ratings both on TV and radio, you have to believe a lot of that crowd is going to be listening to the show no matter who is hosting. I don't really think WLW and Clear Channel are fretting over ratings from 11:00 p.m. to midnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Disagree. He is naturally going to discuss baseball from his perspective and from his experience, but his favorite subject is always going to be baseball. He'll talk to you with gusto about any facet of the game. He's got personal flaws as we all know, but his knowledge of the game is unquestioned as is his passion IMO.
    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/39644156/

Rose: "I do not badmouth baseball. Why would I badmouth baseball? I love the game. I've loved the game my whole life? I have never badmouthed baseball, and I never would badmouth baseball. Not in a million years. I want it to be the most important game in the world. Why would I badmouth it? No, I would never badmouth baseball."

One beat of silence. Two beats of silence. Three beats of silence.

Rose: "I mean, for me? I would rather watch college football or basketball. I can't hardly watch baseball anymore. I see these guys with their sunglasses on, not running the ball out, makes me sick. I can't watch it."
    Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    . Is Pete really going to stop whatever he's doing at 4 in the afternoon and watch the Reds game?

If the price is right there are few things in the world Pete wouldn't do.

Last edited by George Anderson; 12-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Pete used to have a syndicated radio show. I can't remember if it was before or after the ban.. I think it was after though.

Pete was great when he was telling stories about Eric Davis, etc.. stories from playing or managing or talking about hitting.. Other than that, he talked in cliches and was pretty boring (like most talk show hosts are). He's been away from the game so long now, that I'm not sure his stories would be as cool. Not many people remember the Reds from the 80's..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    If the price is right there are few things in the world Pete wouldn't do.
    Yep.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I am a lifelong Pete lover and yes it is painful to listen to Pete sometimes, but reading this thread is much more painful.

Pass............on future Pete Rose threads.
    Last edited by Crosley68; 12-05-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: sp
    Let's play two!!!

Pete might get bored of it, but on the other hand he might get a kick out of it a lot of nights. I'd love to hear him get salty with some callers. I don't know, I just figured he's got to be just as, if not more, bored sitting in a shopping mall, which he could still do by the way. He pays close attention to the Reds, shoot he was listening to the Hot Stove last night and called it. The guy is a Reds fan.

Tracy Jones has made a career of congratulating himself on the air, I can see where Pete Rose would do just fine in the EI slot.

As for ratings, the games do well, but I doubt as many people listen to the EI show as they once did. It's just not that interesting. Pete would be appointment radio for a much larger audience. Pete's only quality audience is Reds fans, of all ages. He is a story (1000 of them) and he's got stories (1000000 of them). I think it would be a slam run.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    Yes it is painful to listen to Pete sometimes, but reading this thread is much more painful.

Pass............on future Pete Rose threads.
    Sorry you stopped by

Turn Off Ads?