Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why wasn't Brandon pulled?

Why wasn't Brandon pulled?

I was screaming at my TV set last night at our "manager' when he again showed he has no ability to manage a team. You could see Phillips was hurting and needed to be pulled. Yet he 'listens" to Phillips and lets him play? Why are we paying this man to manage if he isn't going to? There is no way that he or Phillips could know what the true issue was. Also why carry replacement players if you are not going to use them? Dusty has a history or ruining pitchers, now it looks like he might be building a resume at hurting position players also.:thumbdown

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why wasn't Brandon pulled?

Dusty is a big time players manager. Plus there is another factor in there that is to taboo to discuss.

If he isnt playing today could Miguel Cairo be getting some more starts?

Dusty is a big time something (insert your own view) but I personally would not use the word manager. The issue here our manager refuses to manage and take control of this team. Winning teams don't have that type of leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Dusty is a big time players manager. Plus there is another factor in there that is to taboo to discuss.

If Brandon says he is OK, you leave him in. Unless you have seen something that makes you think he can't do the job.

People pick on Dusty for the dumbest things.

If I were dusty I would have done the same thing if Phillips thinks he is fine. From what I've seen of Phillips, he knows when he can play hurt and when he can't, and is able to not hurt himself more severely while doing so.

I did not watch the game last night but caught the inning where he got hurt on the radio, and they seemed to think it was a cramp based on how Phillips was acting. If it was a cramp, I don't see why you would you would pull someone as good as Brandon. Just take the trainer out and let him stretch it out a bit. I was kind of surprised that it took them a whole batter to realize that he was hurting, and wish that would have been a little faster recognizing it.

A) What the player thinks should not matter, very few players will say 'take me out" that is why we employ managers
    B) Did you see how he struggled to get to that next ground ball?
    C) It was the top of the 8th with a 7 run lead, why keep him in?
    D) No Dusty gets 'picked" on because he is an.... who should not be in charge of any pro baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanover View Post
    If Brandon says he is OK, you leave him in. Unless you have seen something that makes you think he can't do the job.

People pick on Dusty for the dumbest things.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Who would have replaced Phillips, Sutton maybe?
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    A) What the player thinks should not matter, very few players will say 'take me out" that is why we employ managers
    B) Did you see how he struggled to get to that next ground ball?
    C) It was the top of the 8th with a 7 run lead, why keep him in?
    D) No Dusty gets 'picked" on because he is an.... who should not be in charge of any pro baseball team.
    A) Not true, if the player says he is ok, you have him jog a little and test it out. If he still looks ok. You believe him.

B) That next ground ball was while he was still having the cramp, I fault Dusty and the other coaches for not calling "time" before that pitch.

c) It was the top of the 7th, not the 8th. And if he said he was fine after stretching it out then ok.

D)Careful your preconceptions are showing.

I agree I think Brandon should have been pulled after that, but if it was just a cramp it's not the end of the world that he didn't.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

A) managers are there to make decisions, players are always going to want to stay in.

B) he cound't jog, it was still causing him to limp when he went after that grounder

C) Okay the 7th, so what, the game was in hand, why risk further injury for no reason?

D) What is showing is my disdain for what the reds have as a manager.

How do you, Brandon, Dusty or anyone know at that point it was just a cramp? Did I miss them bringing out an MRI or xray machine and checking? Gee what happens the next time say pitcher X says he it's only a twitch in the elbow, nothing important and lets him continue to pitch and then what? We have bench players for a reason, we have "trained" medical staffs for a reason. On top of that the game was in the bag.

QUOTE=redlegz;2098787]A) Not true, if the player says he is ok, you have him jog a little and test it out. If he still looks ok. You believe him.

B) That next ground ball was while he was still having the cramp, I fault Dusty and the other coaches for not calling "time" before that pitch.

c) It was the top of the 7th, not the 8th. And if he said he was fine after stretching it out then ok.

D)Careful your preconceptions are showing.

I agree I think Brandon should have been pulled after that, but if it was just a cramp it's not the end of the world that he didn't.[/QUOTE]

we have one of the best W/L records in the major leagues...yeah Dusty needs to go

I was wondering that too. I understand the logic behind being a players manager and wanting to keep guys (certainly a Brandon Phillips) happy. In that situation it just seemed excessive. A huge lead late in the game and a healthy Drew Sutton on the bench. Even someone who's never watched a baseball game could tell BP looked hurt fielding that groundball off the pitcher's glove the next play.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    How do you, Brandon, Dusty or anyone know at that point it was just a cramp? Did I miss them bringing out an MRI or xray machine and checking? Gee what happens the next time say pitcher X says he it's only a twitch in the elbow, nothing important and lets him continue to pitch and then what? We have bench players for a reason, we have "trained" medical staffs for a reason. On top of that the game was in the bag.
    Lol I think I have a pretty good idea what a cramp feels like (get em all the time at night) and I'm pretty sure Brandon does too. No need for the mobile MRI unit.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Well gee the Cleveland Cavilars who had the best record in teh NBA the past two seasons just fired their head coach, the Broncos fired their Head Coach who had led them to the playoffs and World titles. Heck the Yankees fired Joe Torre and look what he did for them. The Yankees hired Joe Giradi who was fired by the marlins after being named MOTY and having a winning record. Dusty needs to go...

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    we have one of the best W/L records in the major leagues...yeah Dusty needs to go

Again i ask you, why take the risk? This wasn't game 7 of the world series? it was a game in late may against the Pirates in teh late innings in a game we were up by 7. It was clearly seeable that what ever the problem was it wasn't going away and Brandon was in discomfort at the least, pain in the most, so why not give him the rest of the game off and bring in Sutton?

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    Lol I think I have a pretty good idea what a cramp feels like (get em all the time at night) and I'm pretty sure Brandon does too. No need for the mobile MRI unit.

Turn Off Ads?