Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reds Pitching Staff

The Reds Pitching Staff

I took a look around the league and was a little suprised by how our pitching staff stood up with theirs. We are loaded with possible number 5 starters which if on other teams could be 3-4-5 starters and we have a young stud in the minors waiting to shine by mid season.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lohse
    Milton
    Saarlos
    Belisle
    Ramirez
    Livingston

That is a quantity of pitchers that could push each other to suceed. Lohse is on a free agent year and he has all of the tools to be good. Milton is also on a free agent year and if he stays healthy he could be consistant and productive. I really like the Saarlos deal because he is another young and promising starter. I believe that this is the best rotation I have seen in Cincinnati for a long time!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds Pitching Staff

Quote Originally Posted by jamess697 View Post
    We are loaded with possible number 5 starters which if on other teams could be 3-4-5 starters and we have a young stud in the minors waiting to shine by mid season.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lohse
    Milton
    Saarlos
    Belisle
    Ramirez
    Livingston

That is a quantity of pitchers that could push each other to suceed. Lohse is on a free agent year and he has all of the tools to be good. Milton is also on a free agent year and if he stays healthy he could be consistant and productive. I really like the Saarlos deal because he is another young and promising starter. I believe that this is the best rotation I have seen in Cincinnati for a long time!
    ughhhhhh.....hope springs eternal this time of year.... I guess even turds help flowers to grow....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    ughhhhhh.....hope springs eternal this time of year.... I guess even turds help flowers to grow....
    I also am negative sometimes but honestly what the first poster said is true. We have a rotation that is the best that it has been in years. We have a potential number 1 starter knocking on the door. Everyone in the National League and many teams in the American League (including the Yanks) have 2 or 3 spots that are weak. Very few teams in either league have 2 starters that do what Harang and Arroyo did last year. I think saying positive things when there are positive things to talk about could be something new and refreshing on this board.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    so would we be better if we had the Lilly's,Meche's, and William's of the world?
    While our staff is not the bosox staff....it is comparable to most of the NL's.
    Last edited by jmac; 02-07-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I also am negative sometimes but honestly what the first poster said is true. We have a rotation that is the best that it has been in years. We have a potential number 1 starter knocking on the door. Everyone in the National League and many teams in the American League (including the Yanks) have 2 or 3 spots that are weak. Very few teams in either league have 2 starters that do what Harang and Arroyo did last year. I think saying positive things when there are positive things to talk about could be something new and refreshing on this board.

Maybe, but how many teams have 3-5 spots as weak as the Reds'?

That to me is the signal question.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    so would we be better if we had the Lilly's,Meche's, and William's of the world?
    While our staff is not the bosox staff....is is comparable to most of the NL's.
    Yes, the Reds would be better on the field, but not economically.

The wild card is that Cincy is historically not big players at the deadline. So this, with the exception of a Homer calling, will be their rotation. If they were battling the Mets for a WC spot in July, I'm sure the Mets would spend the money to get over the hump while Cincy goes bargain shopping.

Pitching in general is something that I think will be a strength for us this year - we have a decent rotation and I think we also have a decent bullpen (despite all the negativity on RZ). We have options this year!! I think there's room for optimism there.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Pitching in general is something that I think will be a strength for us this year - we have a decent rotation and I think we also have a decent bullpen (despite all the negativity on RZ). We have options this year!! I think there's room for optimism there.

Sorry...had to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I'm all for positivity. But what's desirable about positivity that's not factually reasonable?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

When you consider that Victor Santos reasonably could represent an upgrade over 3/5 of your current major league rotation, you have very, very serious problems.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamess697 View Post
    I took a look around the league and was a little suprised by how our pitching staff stood up with theirs. We are loaded with possible number 5 starters which if on other teams could be 3-4-5 starters and we have a young stud in the minors waiting to shine by mid season.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lohse
    Milton
    Saarlos
    Belisle
    Ramirez
    Livingston

That is a quantity of pitchers that could push each other to succeed. Lohse is on a free agent year and he has all of the tools to be good. Milton is also on a free agent year and if he stays healthy he could be consistant and productive. I really like the Saarlos deal because he is another young and promising starter. I believe that this is the best rotation I have seen in Cincinnati for a long time!
    I believe you hit the nail on the head there. IMO, bringing in Arroyo last year sure helped Harang step up his game...competing for spots in the rotation and in the bullpen is a good thing!

P.S. I don't know why I am saying this, but I think that Saarloos will be a surprise this year. Maybe Arroyo Part Deux???
    Last edited by shredda2000; 02-07-2007 at 11:52 PM.
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Wayne Krivsky isn't done this year, of course.

There's more to come.

There will definitely be some trading still at the A, and AA level, but I'm believing that there is at least one more move at the AAA/Major League level.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I am really happy about our pitching...like a few others have said it is the strongest it has been in years.

Lohse, Milton, Sarloos, Santos and others competing for the 3-5 and long relief spots isn't bad.

The other variable in all of this is the new Pitching Coach...Pole could be a difference maker in some of these guys game...he's done it before.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I am really happy about our pitching...like a few others have said it is the strongest it has been in years.

Lohse, Milton, Sarloos, Santos and others competing for the 3-5 and long relief spots isn't bad.

The other variable in all of this is the new Pitching Coach...Pole could be a difference maker in some of these guys game...he's done it before.
    I think all of this needs to be considered. And this isn't fantasy. I see no reason why we must believe that because some pitcher or another has struggled before means they must always struggle. Or why no pitcher can pitch better once they reach the Reds. These are human beings playing this game and to have reached the majors they must have a level of competitiveness that can benefit this club.

I expect much from our staff and I see no reason why they can't compete in the Central division. Will it be a cakewalk? Of course not! But we have several pitchers who can step up and perform at a higher level, regardless of what St. Pecota or the Alphabet Soup stat lines suggest may happen. I know that may be considered mocking, but we really don't leave in a world of predetermination. Human actors play these things out.

I agree that this is the best staff the reds have had in years. The depth of arms is also helpful. They won't have to go to the scrap pile to pick up another starter if someone gets injured (Joe Mays). Hopefully pitchers this year wont pitch when they are injured (Milton, EZ, etc.). I am expecting big things from Arroyo this year. He struggle at times to get a win last year but that doesn't mean he didn't pitch well.

You have both Harang and Arroyo who are a pretty good 1-2 punch. You have Lohse and Saarloos who have both pitched well at certain points in their career. Then you have a guy like Milton who has something to prove before he its fee agency. It is a pretty good rotation as is but you have the wild card in Baily hopefully coming up sometime this year. IF the reds can score enough runs this year it just may be a successful year.

Turn Off Ads?