Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • C Tucker Barnhart

7 14.29%
  • IF Alex Buchholz

1 2.04%
  • RHP Tyler Cline

0 0%
  • LHP Matt Fairel

4 8.16%
  • C Mark Fleury

11 22.45%
  • RHP Jordan Hotchkiss

1 2.04%
  • RHP Jake Johnson

11 22.45%
  • RHP Matt Klinker

2 4.08%
  • 1B/OF Jaren Matthews

2 4.08%
  • RHP Wes Mugarian

1 2.04%
  • RHP Brian Pearl

0 0%
  • RHP Chad Reineke

0 0%
  • OF Juan Silva

0 0%
  • RHP Dan Tuttle

4 8.16%
  • OF Kyle Waldrop

5 10.20%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

Here it is. It was number 40, and Valor beat him out. Interesting that Fairel, who I'm planning on voting for next, was number 25.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Just curious as to why it matters in this instance? Fluery has more power than Barnhart which is the biggest difference in the 2 as far as I'm concerned.
    I like Barnhart's hit tool much better than Fleury's. Fluery certainly has the power edge. Defensively, I would give the upside potential to Barnhart as well, though its a little closer than the hit tool.

After a full season of 25 starts and 129 innings last year at Dayton (4.47 ERA), 6-foot-4-inch, 215-pound Jacob Johnson figures to be either a) the Opening Day starter (or its equivalent) at Dayton, or b) a 20-year-old in the rotation at High-A (can't bring myself to say Bakersfield). Either way, he's worth a vote right here, in my view.

I hate to beg. It's not manly. I do need some help, however, with Hotchkiss votes. It looks as if I am the only vote keeping him in the list of candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I hate to beg. It's not manly. I do need some help, however, with Hotchkiss votes. It looks as if I am the only vote keeping him in the list of candidates.
    I feel your pain. I like Hotchkiss a lot--more than six or eight guys already elected--but first I have to vote for Johnson, Barnhart and possibly Horst, when he reappears on the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I feel your pain. I like Hotchkiss a lot--more than six or eight guys already elected--but first I have to vote for Johnson, Barnhart and possibly Horst, when he reappears on the ballot.
    Thanks for the support. If Hotchkiss had come from a major college program, I believe his numbers and recognition from the Reds would have landed him in the top 15. I think RZ ought to have an annual award for a player who perseveres and steadily improves despite a low draft round or relatively obscure baseball program origin. On second thought, it should be a dual award for both the player and the scout that found him.

For me Hotchkiss isn't on the radar because I have this poor mans LeCure view of him. I am willing to listen to a good argument on why I should vote for him as a better future major leaguer than others on the list.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Well, there are his numbers over four seasons. ERA: 2.69. WHIP: 1.138. A strong BB/K ratio. Good size (6-4, 220). Steady improvement. I don't know where to find the splits, but I'm fairly certain that his numbers as a starter (all in portions of the last two seasons) are better, perhaps considerably, than his overall numbers. And he was the Reds' Minor League Pitcher of the Year.

Well, there are his numbers over four seasons. ERA: 2.69. WHIP: 1.138. A strong BB/K ratio. Good size (6-4, 220). Steady improvement. I don't know where to find the splits, but I'm fairly certain that his numbers as a starter (all in portions of the last two seasons) are better, perhaps considerably, than his overall numbers. And he was the Reds' Minor League Pitcher of the Year.
    All good points. Additionally, he pitched well out of the pen before coming a starter. Should he falter as a starter, he should be able to return to that role with some ease. The only potential negatives..... It could be said that he was a little old for his minor league levels. I have no idea how hard he throws or what he throws. I admit that I am going on stats alone.

Good numbers, but he has been old for his leagues and his stuff isn't anything to write home about. He didn't make my Top 40. Solid prospect though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good numbers, but he has been old for his leagues and his stuff isn't anything to write home about. He didn't make my Top 40. Solid prospect though.
    Curious about his stuff Doug, what you can tell us? What does he throw and how does it rank, below average for the average major leaguer?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Curious about his stuff Doug, what you can tell us? What does he throw and how does it rank, below average for the average major leaguer?
    I'm curious as well. You mentioned his arm angle earlier. Is it unusual enough to baffle minor league hitters, but probably not major leaguers? It is puzzling. He has a low BAA, but is neither a ground ball nor high K pitcher.

I'm curious as well. You mentioned his arm angle earlier. Is it unusual enough to baffle minor league hitters, but probably not major leaguers? It is puzzling. He has a low BAA, but is neither a ground ball nor high K pitcher.
    I will say this, it seems Carolina and Louisville are both tougher to hit flyballs out of than even GABP. Not sure if that makes a difference but it might.

--Woody Hayes

Average fastball velocity, maybe a tick below average. Good run on it though. Slider/change up as well. Good control. Arm angle is very low 3/4, nearly side armed. Guys with that arm angle just don't get chances to start in the Major Leagues too often, so I wouldn't expect him to get that chance either, especially since the only reason he has been given chances to start is because other guys have gotten hurt and he stepped in for them.

Turn Off Ads?