Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who gets the 25th postseason roster spot?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tony Cingrani

10 20.41%
  • Logan Ondrusek

2 4.08%
  • Alfredo Simon

10 20.41%
  • Miguel Cairo

10 20.41%
  • Didi Gregorius

4 8.16%
  • Devin Mesoraco

12 24.49%
  • Other (specify)

1 2.04%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final spot of RedsZone's postseason roster

Re: Final spot of RedsZone's postseason roster

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff View Post
    Ideally, Dusty would probably prefer a speedy pinch runner type. Not among the choices however. Cairo's experience as a pinch hitter gets him the nod. Second choice of Simon for me.
    Funny part about this poll is that, in the real world, Cairo is the overwhelming favorite to get this spot.

I don't think the Reds will kick Cairo off the roster at this point. I think they will carry Navarro and if they need to pinch hit with Navarro, they will pinch hit with Navarro even if it leaves no backup catcher.

Many of us (myself included) would pick someone else, but those who have selected Cairo are very likely correct in terms of what will actually happen.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

Are we all aware that Logan Ondrusek has stranded 42 of 46 runners this year and 103 out of 124 in his career?
    I think most poster here would consider that a random stat and would look only to his other. By randon, I mean, if he gives up tons of baserunners, but is not allowing inherited runners to score, he's likely running on luck.

Ondrusek has been horrible this year, with a -0.9 WAR. He should be no where near the post season roster. He's walking almost as many as he strikes out.

Ideally, Dusty would probably prefer a speedy pinch runner type. Not among the choices however. Cairo's experience as a pinch hitter gets him the nod. Second choice of Simon for me.
    We must think alike.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I guess I feel that if we have to pull a starter in the 3rd inning twice in a playoff series, we're probably toast anyhow, so I want 11 pitchers. (Also, there's plenty of off days in the postseason to rest the staff). In all honesty, the odds of Leake pitching in a playoff game on this Redszone roster are pretty slim.
    Yes. I dont' see the need for another short guy in the pen. Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover, LeCure and Arrendondo should have innnings 6-9 covered. The only contingency is a guy getting knocked out early or extras. That's why you have Leake.

I want another bat. I went with Cairo -- he's due.

If Heisey starts, that leaves Paul as your first lefty off the bench and Stubbs as your first righty. As a plus hitter vs. lefties and a guy who can turn a single into a triple, Stubbs actually becomes a pretty nice weapon in a short series.

I don't see the need for 12 pitchers. You already have an 8 man bullpen. I'd rather have more flexibility with pinch hitters than be worried about having used the other 7 relievers...

I voted Cairo, but I'd be happy with Mesoraco too.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'll tell you, I don't envy the management in having to make this decision. I assume some of these guys left off will be voted full shares in however far they go in the post-season.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It would be Mez........

You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Does experience really matter if you suck?

If a player has a long track record of very poor production and poor defense should he really be given credit for having "experience"?

Sometimes experience is a bad thing. Sometimes a guy's experience proves he simply is not a good player.

What is the value of experience? Experience is good if you have a track record of playing well in pressure situations in the playoffs. If you have proven you can handle the pressure and still play well that is valuable. If you have been through some pressure situations and failed then your experience is not a good thing.

When it comes to guys like Valdez and Cairo their experience is totally meaningless. They are simply bad baseball players. They have proven themselves to be unreliable in high pressure situations, unreliable in low pressure situations, unreliable in playoff games, unreliable in regular season games -- unreliable all the time. I don't see how this experience is a point in their favor when it comes to building a playoff roster.

If a guy is one of the absolute worst players in the major leagues (and both Valdez and Cairo are among the worst 10 players in the major leagues) then it simply doesn't matter how much experience they have. If they can't hit on a normal day then how should we expect them to hit in the playoffs? If they are poor fielders during the regular season how will they do when their knees are a little extra wobbly in the playoffs?

I find it very surprising how many people here in the ORG think it is a good idea to put those guys on the roster. The Reds have better options, not great options, but definitely better options despite the fact they don't have experience. If one guy has proven himself to be terrible then it is likely wise to go with someone else that might not be terrible. Terrible is a given when it comes to Valdez and Cairo.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Ideally, Dusty would probably prefer a speedy pinch runner type. .
    Like maybe a Billy Hamilton? I'm going to play a Billy Hamilton drinking game during the playoffs. In ever situation where the Reds could use Billy Hamilton: two shots of wild turkey.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't see the need for 12 pitchers. You already have an 8 man bullpen. I'd rather have more flexibility with pinch hitters than be worried about having used the other 7 relievers...

I voted Cairo, but I'd be happy with Mesoraco too.
    Actually, if they go with 11 picthers its only a 7 man pen and that is plenty from an innings stanpoint, but without Cingrani and with Chapman locked into the 9th, its going to be difficult to keep Marshall back for his late inning role. The game needs to be kept in hand and the team needs a lefty option for earlier in the game IMO.

I just can't see any scenario where any of those position players would offer more value than Cingrani coming in to get a lefty with a runner on second in the fifth inning. If the Reds need to reach for a pinch hitter, there are better choices already on the roster than reaching all the way to then end of the bench for a guy with a sub .500 OPS (including Leake IMO). If they need a lefty early, Cingrani is the only thing preventing them from burning Marshall far earlier in the game than they should.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think Cairo has one or two big hits left in his bat.

Turn Off Ads?