Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LF - at what point do you do something?

Re: LF - at what point do you do something?

There really is no answer.

There isn't anyone in the minors, and they don't really have anyone that they could move.

It's just like the Cozart situation. Hold your nose and throw it back, chase it with something that tastes better.

The Reds are like a pretty girl with spinach in her teeth. All you can do is hope she can figure it out before you kiss her.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds should make a deal with the Cubs that if they sweep this series, the Cubs have to give them David DeJesus.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    There really is no answer.

There isn't anyone in the minors, and they don't really have anyone that they could move.

It's just like the Cozart situation. Hold your nose and throw it back, chase it with something that tastes better.

The Reds are like a pretty girl with spinach in her teeth. All you can do is hope she can figure it out before you kiss her.
    If you are kissing the pretty girl, why do you care if she has spinach in her teeth? Are you not just thinking "Cool, I'm kissing the pretty girl!"

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The Reds should make a deal with the Cubs that if they sweep this series, the Cubs have to give them David DeJesus.
    DeJesus for JJ Hoover. Who hangs up first?
    Go BLUE!!!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Reds, hopefully.

8. Likes:

marcshoe (05-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Reds. Dejesus is a fine target, but he's a rental. Cubs would probably love to have Hoover.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Xavier Paul to date in 2013:

.283/.377/.413/.790.

Xavier Paul in 2012:

.314/.379/.465/.844.

149 PAs in the two years combined.

Revisiting an oft discussed trade for consideration now; Homer Bailey to SD for Chase Headley Assumptions are that Cueto comes back 100% healthy and Cingrani shows (by say July) that he's ready.

It's basically an even swap of high end talents that will both likely walk after 2014. The ballpark swaps might give each team the chance to sign their new guy to an extension. The current money and arb money next year both seem to line up about the same as well.

The downside is the long term expense of Headly for the Reds and the obvious risk of using up some of the pitching depth. The upside is a Frazier/Headley left side to go with the Votto/Bruce right side for at least another year and a half. IF Ludwick comes back at any point you have a nice depth problem.

Like most trades, probably a slim chance of getting done but the Pads are definitely shopping Headly and the Reds are most certainly at risk to lose HB at the end of '14. So, again, IF Cueto is back and healthy and Cingrani is still looking solid after a couple times around the league, do you do it if you are the Reds?

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Revisiting an oft discussed trade for consideration now; Homer Bailey to SD for Chase Headley Assumptions are that Cueto comes back 100% healthy and Cingrani shows (by say July) that he's ready.

It's basically an even swap of high end talents that will both likely walk after 2014. The ballpark swaps might give each team the chance to sign their new guy to an extension. The current money and arb money next year both seem to line up about the same as well.

The downside is the long term expense of Headly for the Reds and the obvious risk of using up some of the pitching depth. The upside is a Frazier/Headley left side to go with the Votto/Bruce right side for at least another year and a half. IF Ludwick comes back at any point you have a nice depth problem.

Like most trades, probably a slim chance of getting done but the Pads are definitely shopping Headly and the Reds are most certainly at risk to lose HB at the end of '14. So, again, IF Cueto is back and healthy and Cingrani is still looking solid after a couple times around the league, do you do it if you are the Reds?
    Unless this team completely falls out of the race, there is no way this team deals any of its starting pitchers during the season. If things get desperate, and the position ranks are depleted by injury, I might see them dealing Corcino, but Cueto, Bailey, Latos, Arroyo, Leake and Cingrani aren't going anywhere IMO. Similarly, Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover and Lecure probably are on the team the entire year.

The Reds will acquire decent, but not huge name, free agents to be for spare parts and secondary prospects if need be, but I just don't see this team having the upper minor legue depth to make a blockbuster during the season.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

My dream is more like a ridiculous fantasy:

Per the other thread discussing Stanton and the latest article mentioning the Reds: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/miami-m...014400171.html
    ........if the Reds could do that package to get Stanton, I'd play him in LF.

My next dream would be to trade Jay Bruce and a good pitching prospect to Colorado for Fowler.

Move Choo to his natural position in RF. Fowler in CF. Stanton in LF. Completely revamped outfield.

Fowler is a switch hitter with speed.

RF Choo (LH)
    CF Fowler (SH)
    1B Votto (LH)
    LF Stanton (RH)
    2B Phillips (RH)
    3B Frazier (RH)
    SS Cozart (RH)
    C Mez (RH)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    My dream is more like a ridiculous fantasy:

Per the other thread discussing Stanton and the latest article mentioning the Reds: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/miami-m...014400171.html
    ........if the Reds could do that package to get Stanton, I'd play him in LF.

My next dream would be to trade Jay Bruce and a good pitching prospect to Colorado for Fowler.

Move Choo to his natural position in RF. Fowler in CF. Stanton in LF. Completely revamped outfield.

Fowler is a switch hitter with speed.

RF Choo (LH)
    CF Fowler (SH)
    1B Votto (LH)
    LF Stanton (RH)
    2B Phillips (RH)
    3B Frazier (RH)
    SS Cozart (RH)
    C Mez (RH)
    I do that only if Hamilton was in the Stanton deal. If so its an interesting proposal...

I was hoping they would pick up a Casper Wells type to cover CF and slide Choo into Left. Not to many teams are looking to dump an effective slugger. Any player that sells a lot of jerseys is probably an unrealistic trade target IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I was hoping they would pick up a Casper Wells type to cover CF and slide Choo into Left. Not to many teams are looking to dump an effective slugger. Any player that sells a lot of jerseys is probably an unrealistic trade target IMHO.
    You mean like Choo or Latos?

18. Likes:

marcshoe (05-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    You mean like Choo or Latos?
    And as far as jersey sales, I don't know the numbers but neither are top 20. And no, I don't think of either these players as a "slugger."

Did I answer the question or were you just being snarky?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    And as far as jersey sales, I don't know the numbers but neither are top 20. And no, I don't think of either these players as a "slugger."

Did I answer the question or were you just being snarky?
    If only Matt's last name was "Rogers". Then we could call him "Snarky Rogers".

Turn Off Ads?