Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else rather be in the Sun Deck?

Re: Anyone else rather be in the Sun Deck?

It doesn't bother me much because I am a fairly new poster myself -- I wouldn't have qualified for the elite status under any measurement. I do find it amusing that the "elite" forum is called Old Red Guard -- and proudly proclaims that this area was named after a prominent deceased poster.

We all post in an area called "Sun Deck" -- named after the cheap seats, an open, unroofed porch or platform extending from the nicer part of the stadium.

Should we have a big "L" stamped on our foreheads as well?

The fact is that while that may have been the "Freudian slip" kind of thought process behind this move, it usually works in the exact opposite way. Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are mostly likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern. Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of the elite.

For the converse of "elitism" see "anti-elitism," "populism," and the political theory of pluralism. Elite theory is the sociological or political science analysis of elite influence in society - elite theorists regard pluralism as a utopian ideal.

Elitism may also refer to situations in which an elite individual assumes special privileges and responsibilities in the hope that this arrangement will benefit humanity.

At times, elitism is closely related to social class and what sociologists call social stratification. Members of the upper classes are sometimes, though inaccurately, known as the "social elite."

The term elitism is also sometimes misused to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This debased form of elitism may be described as discrimination.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I'm waiting for Natty Redlocks to compose a song called 'Sun Deck" to the tune of Gordon Lightfoot's 'Sundown'.

Of course, Natty's gonna have to dig up the file on Napster to do it......

Never heard of it.

Actually I was thinking more the Beach Boys:

"Everybody's now lurkin'.........Lurkin' ORG....."

Quote Originally Posted by peterose00 View Post
    It doesn't bother me much because I am a fairly new poster myself -- I wouldn't have qualified for the elite status under any measurement. I do find it amusing that the "elite" forum is called Old Red Guard -- and proudly proclaims that this area was named after a prominent deceased poster.

We all post in an area called "Sun Deck" -- named after the cheap seats, an open, unroofed porch or platform extending from the nicer part of the stadium.

The fact is that while that may have been the "Freudian slip" kind of thought process behind this move, it usually works in the exact opposite way. Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are mostly likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern. Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of the elite.

For the converse of "elitism" see "anti-elitism," "populism," and the political theory of pluralism. Elite theory is the sociological or political science analysis of elite influence in society - elite theorists regard pluralism as a utopian ideal.

Elitism may also refer to situations in which an elite individual assumes special privileges and responsibilities in the hope that this arrangement will benefit humanity.

At times, elitism is closely related to social class and what sociologists call social stratification. Members of the upper classes are sometimes, though inaccurately, known as the "social elite."

The term elitism is also sometimes misused to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This debased form of elitism may be described as discrimination.
    I just tried to give this post rep

This will all take some getting used to.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Have you sat in the Sun Deck?

First, they aren't the "Cheap Seats". Ticket prices are in the 18-20 dollar range.

The Sun Deck is named for a very popular area of Crosely Field, and the area in the new park is modeled after that.

In the Sun Deck Area, fans can walk around freely, and hang out under the power stacks. It comes in handy on those 90 degree days because of the cooling mist that sprays you, but doesn't quite get you wet.

I sit there every chance I get, and I'll bet that view from atop the batter's eye is spectacular.

The way I see it, The Sun Deck is a pretty cool name. Hardly meant to deride or chastize.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy View Post
    I am going to miss the all negative points from the elites... one person in particular saved some up in the off season just for me. He is a very thoughtful, nurturing person. I kind of liked having every one of my posts scrutinized by this hole.
    Seriously.

If I decided to stick around, I think I would've been glad to use the Sun Deck. Y'know, so I could post that I like Ryan Freel and not have somebody (or somebody x 23) tell me I'm wrong and immediatley shove "Mathemetic Metric Irrelevant to the Game of Baseball # 5,688" down my throat to back him up, followed by 28 posts quoting his containing some snarky remark about what I said and everyone patting themselves on the back.

Sorry I didn't conform guys.

I echo what VP said... where is that rep button? Now see, this is a well thought out post (I might not agree with everything said but it was worded in a way that stated your case).
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

To those in the Sun Deck... you might be interested to know that a few of us in the ORG wanted to be "left behind" (so to speak) on whatever Reds Live! would become to not only post there but to mentor those to get into ORG. Even tho' I was a ORG member from the beginning, I posted more on Reds Live! because I wanted everyone to respond to my post - esp. when I was giving away extra promotions.

Just be grateful that Boss and GIK didn't take to heart my suggestion two years ago when ORG and Reds Live! were split... I told them to trash the place - it was their baby and they wouldn't make everyone happy no matter what they do - why bother with the headaches? [I'm also saying that now, FWTW... ]
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

WOW this is really gonna mess me up..........

I'll miss talking a lot of you guys now that we are segregated.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are mostly likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern. Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of the elite.

...and for those wishing to read the remainder of this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    ...and for those wishing to read the remainder of this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism
    Someone is said to be suffering from tall poppy syndrome when his or her assumption of a higher economic, social or political position attracts criticism, being perceived as presumptuous, attention seeking or without merit. The process can be linked with anti-intellectualism, especially with public criticism by the media or community leaders of particular academics or members of the intelligentsia.

The term originates from accounts in Aristotle's Politics (Book 5, Chapter 10) and Livy's History of Rome, Book I. Aristotle wrote: "Periander advised Thrasybulus by cutting off the tops of the tallest ears of corn, meaning that he must always put out of the way the citizens who overtop the rest." In Livy's account, the Roman tyrant, Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, received a messenger from his son Sextus asking what he should do next in Gabii, since he had become all-powerful there. Rather than answering the messenger, Tarquinius went into his garden, took a stick, and symbolically swept it across his garden, thus cutting off the heads of the tallest poppies that were growing there. The messenger, tired of waiting for an answer, returned to Gabii and told Sextus what happened, who realised that his father wished him to put to death all the most eminent people of Gabii, which he then did.

A kind of reverse snobbery, this syndrome may have originated in Australasia as a rejection of the British class system.[1] Immigrants to Australia and New Zealand often adopted an egalitarian attitude, viewing people as admirable for what they themselves could do and rejecting the notion that some people are "naturally" superior to their peers by right of birth.

This phenomenon is often interpreted by foreign observers as a resentment of others' success[citation needed]. Those who subscribe, however, see themselves as attacking targets which take themselves too seriously or flaunt their success without due humility.[citation needed] Apparent cases of tall poppy syndrome can often be explained as resentment not of success but of snobbery and arrogance; many Australasians have achieved success and wealth without attracting such hostility

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'll miss talking a lot of you guys now that we are segregated.
    Segregation means separation.

It may refer to:

Racial segregation, separation according to race

Religious segregation, separation according to religious affiliation

Sex segregation, separation according to gender

REDSZONE Segregation, seperation according to how a handful of others view your opinions about the Reds -- they would just as soon act as if an opinion different from their own simply does not exist

Geographical segregation, separation of groups from a large population into different areas.

Security segregation, the separation of assets belonging to customers from the assets of the financial institution holding them

REDSZONE Segregation, seperation according to how a handful of others view your opinions about the Reds -- they would just as soon act as if an opinion different from their own simply does not exist
    Or you're opinion simply doesn't matter as much as theirs does, but you are a "mess" and not "worthy of meaningfull and intelligent posts" that can "enlighten the populus" over how many times in the season Dunn picks his nose instead of running to left field.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

:thumbdown
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    Or you're opinion simply doesn't matter as much as theirs does, but you are a "mess" and not "worthy of meaningfull and intelligent posts" that can "enlighten the populus" over how many times in the season Dunn picks his nose instead of running to left field.
    Dunn never runs in Left Field, so that one is easy. Ooopps, that one comment will keep me in the Sun Deck for another few months....

The people who decided this was a good idea have got to be a real barrel of laughs to be around......NOT

AHHH!!! I've doubled posted....Oh noes no ORG memebership for me et el!!!!!!!!!!
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?