Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unofficially official: Adrian Gonzalez now a Red Sox

Unofficially official: Adrian Gonzalez now a Red Sox

According to ESPN this looks like a done deal.
    The Boston Red Sox have agreed to a deal in principle to acquire slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Saturday morning.

The Red Sox have received permission from Major League Baseball to negotiate with Gonzalez on a new contract, the sources said, and Gonzalez's physical examination, one of last hurdles to deal, could happen Saturday.

The Padres would not receive any established major league players in the trade, ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb...ory?id=5882356
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-04-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: emphasis on last sentence

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adrian Gonzalez to Red Sox

This doesn't say much for baseball's level playing field. This was solely an economics driven deal and just because those prospects may work out or the Padres may sneak into the playoffs before the Red Sox doesn't make it right

Whatever happened to Bowie Kuhn? Sounds like the deal "is not in the best interests of baseball." Funny how that doesn't hold true when "Sox" is on the end of "Red."

I'm still mad over Vida Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This doesn't say much for baseball's level playing field. This was solely an economics driven deal and just because those prospects may work out or the Padres may sneak into the playoffs before the Red Sox doesn't make it right
    i know MLB shouldn't even have the world series anymore. Everyone should get a trophy, every team should be represented in the all-star game, and the good franchises should be regularly penalized for their success while the poor teams should always be propped up to protect against the unfair tactics of competition.

Padres better hope this is a Davis for Schilling, Finley and Harnisch type deal.
    They have no real excuses for not getting more than what they got unless the Red Soz refused to part with anyone that was already at least had a semblance of being established in the majors.

Teams with limited depth (coming off an ownership that lost money) and now under the helm of new ownership trading a star for more assets.

In baseball?

Nothing new here.

I thought the Bowie Kuhn ruling was BS, so did the a good portion of the owners, this current set of owners in todays very different business climate would probably hate it more.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/A...ossible-120310

A major-league source confirmed to FOXSports.com that the Padres will receive right-handed starter Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo and center fielder Reymond Fuentes -- all prospects who have yet to debut in the major leagues. A separate source said there will be a player to be named later, as well.

Major League Baseball has approved a negotiating window for the Red Sox to negotiate a contract extension with Gonzalez, according to a source.

With the extension, the Padres will receive a better package of prospects than if the Red Sox were only gaining control of Gonzalez for one year.
    BA ranks the prospects as Boston's 1, 3 and 6 prospects.
    Last edited by klw; 12-04-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Teams with limited depth (coming off an ownership that lost money) and now under the helm of new ownership trading a star for more assets.

In baseball?

Nothing new here.

I thought the Bowie Kuhn ruling was BS, so did the a good portion of the owners, this current set of owners in todays very different business climate would probably hate it more.
    Still, I wish baseball would put together a system that is a little more middling and does not so favor the extremes as it does now, the poles being large revenue vs. small revenue, and players vs. ownership. They overcorrected an unfair situation in the 70s and have done little to tilt the thing back in the middle. It all seemed ok until the money came flooding into the big market teams through television and now they have done nothing to re-level the playing field, unless one counts the spit in the ocean of revenue sharing.

Man, I'm kinda soap-boxy here lately
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Are we seeing Joey Votto's future?

I wish the Reds could've gotten involved, sending Alonso to the Padres and getting Ellsbury back from the Sawx. Oh well.

Gonzalez is reportedly seeking a Ryan Howard type deal (5 yrs, $125MM). I think we are seeing Joey Votto's future.

Even worse in this case is Gonzalez is from San Diego. So much for a "hometown discount."
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Not if they sign him NOW. Emotions aside, fans should be okay with losing players when they're getting into their mid-30's, not when they're just 30-ish. The Reds seem to have stable enough ownership and enough of a real fanbase that they shouldn't have to get stuck in the sort of 'need to keep payroll around $40M' situation the Padres are in.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Almost certainly, unless Castelinni tells Jocketty "Sign Joey for whatever it takes, and we'll increase budget appropriately to make sure it doesn't impact the rest of the team."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Way off the subject...kind of...but i thought Bowie cancelled one of the deals to the Sox...Joe Rudi comes to mind.

Prospect 1, 3, and 6 are pretty good returns. If AGon was 2 years younger then i think maybe a long term 7 year deal makes sense, but at his age a 7 year deal puts him at 35/36. Those last 2 years could be killers. Small marker teams can sign LTC's if the player is young enough to get back end production. The big market teams never have to worry about those things

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Way off the subject...kind of...but i thought Bowie cancelled one of the deals to the Sox...Joe Rudi comes to mind.

Prospect 1, 3, and 6 are pretty good returns. If AGon was 2 years younger then i think maybe a long term 7 year deal makes sense, but at his age a 7 year deal puts him at 35/36. Those last 2 years could be killers. Small marker teams can sign LTC's if the player is young enough to get back end production. The big market teams never have to worry about those things
    The Fuentes guy looks like bust city based upon his numbers. Speedster who hacks at the plate and hasn't hit for enough power to make a major league pitcher walk him. We all know the value of a base-stealer who can't get on base. Maybe he is projected too but that doesn't look like a big loss for the Sox.

not exactly going out on a limb here but I'm guessing that Gonzalez will quickly become a mega superstar playing in Boston....even Jason Bay owned the city for awhile

Turn Off Ads?