Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Lee

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Cliff Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    So, many of you wouldn't trade Wood so we can have him as a potential TOR starter in 1-3 years and the Reds have who playing 2B, SS, 3B and LF?

They have the players to win now, so that is what the team should try to do. I'd much rather have a World Series title while wondering who is going to start in the rotation than to not have the title and be sitting on pitching prospects that may not pan out and less offense.
    I don't think people are saying Wood is untouchable. I think a lot are saying they wouldn't trade him for a 2 month rental.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, but the odds aren't against him being a #4 and that makes him very valuable given how little he is getting paid for the next 4 years. As far as who I would rather trade of those three.... My list looks something like this:

Yonder Alonso

One of the other two guys I would really rather not trade.
    My list reads the same. But if a guy is odds on to be a #4 starter...and if it were my money in Vegas I might not even go that far...I'd give him up for 1/2 a season of a top-3 pitcher in baseball, in a contending year.

Who would people rather trade: Wood or Volquez?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Wood
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bailey

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Travis Wood
    HollyWood
    Woody Harrelson
    Tiger Woods
    Woody Wood Pecker
    Woodrow Wilson
    WoodStock
    Woody from Toy Story

Volquez is #1-2 maybe a 3 starter; where as Wood is a #3-4

From Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune:

The Cliff Lee sweepstakes is heating up, with the Reds and possibly even Yankees joining the Twins at the forefront. A.J. Burnett's problems have forced GM Brian Cashman to reconsider waiting for free agency to take his shot at Lee. A team trading for the Mariners starter in the next couple of weeks would owe him only about $4.5 million, which puts him on the radar for even a mid-payroll team such as the Reds. …
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3409335.story

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Travis Wood
    HollyWood
    Woody Harrelson
    Tiger Woods
    Woody Wood Pecker
    Woodrow Wilson
    WoodStock
    Woody from Toy Story

Volquez is #1-2 maybe a 3 starter; where as Wood is a #3-4
    Throw in Woody Woodruff and Woody Hayes

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Question: Isn't Maloney more of a flyball pitcher? I can't remember too much about how he pitched when he was up to pitch for the Reds, but I thought he was the one who's got more of those flyball tendancies. I'd rather trade him along with Alonso and whoever for Lee since Maloney's pitching tendancies would seem to suit Safeco pretty well. That big park sounds like it would be perfect for him. He doesn't seem to be too high up on the Reds list at the moment even though he isn't having a horrible year so why not put him in the deal instead of Wood? JMHO of course.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Question: Isn't Maloney more of a flyball pitcher? I can't remember too much about how he pitched when he was up to pitch for the Reds, but I thought he was the one who's got more of those flyball tendancies. I'd rather trade him along with Alonso and whoever for Lee since Maloney's pitching tendancies would seem to suit Safeco pretty well. That big park sounds like it would be perfect for him. He doesn't seem to be too high up on the Reds list at the moment even though he isn't having a horrible year so why not put him in the deal instead of Wood? JMHO of course.
    The problem with trading Maloney is that no one really particularly values him.

He's a humerless dinger meaning he's a gopher ball machine.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Exactly. Maloney is 26 and he's not going to be worth very much to the Reds on the trade market. He will be a third guy in a deal (step just above "throw-in") if there is in fact a blockbuster in the works.

Resident PED Expert

In the end what Jocketty does will probably be the right thing.

He hasn't made a bad trade yet as GM of the Reds.

Some questionable signings, but got value for Griffey, Dunn,
    Encarnacion and even moved Taveras. So if he gets Lee, I'm
    Sure he will get value for the deal. I just hope hope hope Wood
    Is still a Red after the deal is made. Cause the deal is going to happen.

if we trade volquez i will be one pi$$ed fan! it would be like giving josh hamilton away for a rental player.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    if we trade volquez i will be one pi$$ed fan! it would be like giving josh hamilton away for a rental player.
    Ugh...if we are gona play that game I could say we would be getting Lee for simply a rule 5 pick.

I'd hate to trade EV, but give us a sound argument.

I went back and looked at when Walt has made "buyer" deals in the past, when he had contending teams. It seems they were all closer to the deadline than I remembered.

McGwire, Woody Williams, Chuck Finley, Scott Rolen (the first time) all were late July. He did grab Jeff Weaver on July 5 in 2006.

I mention this as a means of asking: when do you think a Lee deal happens? Not that it will happen with the Reds/Walt, but when do you think it will happen at all?
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Turn Off Ads?