Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Adios Rich Rodriguez

Re: Adios Rich Rodriguez

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Well, sure. But Lloyd Carr only carried the torch on the relay after Shembechler got him an insurmountable lead. I always like to look at the trailblazer rather than the settler that reaped the rewards when making such references.

Just like tOSU football still is "Woody Hayes' tOSU"
    Braylon Edwards, when introducing where he went to school, names the school and the coach he played for. You're really over analyzing this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    You could ask the same question about any city in the US. Some people like living in each place, and some don't. There's nothing wrong with SD, it's just not for me. But I do see why a lot of people love the place.
    OK. Just wondering since I don't go down there at all really but everyone raves about it that visits there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    OK. Just wondering since I don't go down there at all really but everyone raves about it that visits there.
    No doubt. I love it as a place to visit. It wasn't my cup of tea as a place to live, that's all. People who live in SoCal are going to love San Diego. I think it's more about SoCal not being a good fit for me as opposed to San Diego specifically. But I get why people love SoCal.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Expense and traffic would be my two reasons. Also while the climate is nice it really doesn't get "hot". It stays pretty mild all season long. It can be a good thing but I was also wearing jeans and a fleece attending a San Diego Padres game in Late May.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Braylon Edwards, when introducing where he went to school, names the school and the coach he played for. You're really over analyzing this.
    Except that wasn't the point of the original poster. Maybe you're underanalyzing it.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Except that wasn't the point of the original poster. Maybe you're underanalyzing it.
    I wasn't necessarily trying to compare Carr to Schembechler. Clearly Bo is Bo, nobody can match what he did at Michigan when you consider the number of years and the excellence. I was only simply stating that I could see why Braylon would say it's Lloyd Carr's University of Michigan, seeing as how Michigan was last successful when he reigned over the football program.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I wasn't necessarily trying to compare Carr to Schembechler. Clearly Bo is Bo, nobody can match what he did at Michigan when you consider the number of years and the excellence. I was only simply stating that I could see why Braylon would say it's Lloyd Carr's University of Michigan, seeing as how Michigan was last successful when he reigned over the football program.
    That's fair and I got that. But I still think Bo was UM's Messiah and should get his due in that context, while Lloyd was just an apostle--important, but not the cornerstone, just to provide another analogy for my opinion.

But the real question with that analogy, is RR the anti-Christ or just a false prophet?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

That's fair and I got that. But I still think Bo was UM's Messiah and should get his due in that context, while Lloyd was just an apostle--important, but not the cornerstone, just to provide another analogy for my opinion.

But the real question with that analogy, is RR the anti-Christ or just a false prophet?
    He's Mao.

He didn't believe in their "religion", was a megalomaniac, and promoted a system that was doomed to failure.
    School's out. What did you expect?

At this point, would it be appropriate to change the thread title to "Bienvenidos Brady Hoke"?

Sportswriter Rob Parker was on a Sunday sports show in Detroit last night and he said that according to his sources Les Miles turned down the Mich job, not once but twice. After turning then down initially, Mich came back with a better offer and he turned 'em down again.

Parker sounded underwhelmed by the Hoke choice. He said there were so many better choices out there.

He sure has his work cut out for him recruiting wise. Their top PK recruit has now dropped as has their top OL recruit. They're now down to ten verbal commits. They have 18 scholarships to give

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sportswriter Rob Parker was on a Sunday sports show in Detroit last night and he said that according to his sources Les Miles turned down the Mich job, not once but twice. After turning then down initially, Mich came back with a better offer and he turned 'em down again.

Parker sounded underwhelmed by the Hoke choice. He said there were so many better choices out there.

He sure has his work cut out for him recruiting wise. Their top PK recruit has now dropped as has their top OL recruit. They're now down to ten verbal commits. They have 18 scholarships to give
    Jim Tressel was a less than stellar choice as well. Couple that with the fact that Tressel was used to recruiting D2 players instead of the top notch players.

Hoke has his work cut out for him recruiting wise. IMO he needs to hire a recruiting coordinator. He has some midwest roots (Ball State) but it will be very interesting to see his hauls the first years in the program.

The difference with Tressel is that other than a couple years coaching at Syracuse in the early 80s, he was Ohio through and through. Grew up in Ohio. Went to college in Ohio. Coached in Ohio (Akron, OSU & Youngstown State). He was a name and face that wasn't a stranger to very many HS programs around the state. People in the NE part of Ohio, which is very fertile recruiting territory, all knew him. With that background, he was able to plug the leak that had allowed top shelf Ohio HS talent (names like Grbac, Woodson, Howard, etc) to go to Ann Arbor.

Hoke obviously has some ties to Michigan and the Midwest. But right now, he's coming in as second fiddle in his own state to Mark Dantonio. He's got to make up a lot of ground on the recruiting front if he's going to be the guy to turn around UM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO he needs to hire a recruiting coordinator. He has some midwest roots (Ball State) but it will be very interesting to see his hauls the first years in the program.
    He needs some asst coaches first

Hoke is actually from Dayton originally. He coached for almost 10 years in Michigan and Toledo before going to Oregon for a while. Then he came back to coach at Michigan for 7 years and then Ball State for 6. He may not have as strong ties as Tressel did, but they're stronger than some may think coaching in some capacity in Ohio or Michigan for 20 years.

His brother is the secondary coach for the Chicago Bears. Don't know how much that helps, but it can't hurt.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

New U-M offensive coordinator Al Borges will adapt to Denard Robinson
    http://detnews.com/article/20110114/...enard-Robinson

"I think the best thing when I talk to him is emphasizing that regardless of where I've been, it's not about me, and that we're creating this thing from ground up and the quarterback spearheads what we're going to do on offense," Borges, 55, told The News on Thursday. "You've got Denard, who we're going to keep at quarterback, and we're going to wean our team into some of the pro-style concepts, but we're not going to lose what he's capable of. I'm not smart, but I'm not dumb enough to not know that. He's got a skill we're going to exploit."

Robinson, a first-year starter as a sophomore in Rodriguez's spread-option offense, became the first quarterback in Division I history to both rush and pass for 1,500 yards in a season.

"What I will tell him is I coached two first-round (NFL quarterback draft picks in Cade McNown and Jason Campbell), and we accommodated them," Borges said. "We gave them the vehicle for success. They drove it, and they drove it well."

Turn Off Ads?