Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Don't look now, but Adam Dunn leads the majors in Home Runs. His next Home Run will be career Home Run number 389 which will tie him with Red's career HR leader Johnny Bench for 56th on the all time list.
    It looks like his 2011 will go down as one of the great mysteries in the history of the sport haha...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It looks like his 2011 will go down as one of the great mysteries in the history of the sport haha...
    I think he had some nagging injuries and he definitely looked out of shape to me. Throw in missed time for an appendectomy and he just never got going. I'm also guessing he was pressing a bit to justify his contract with his new team. I don't really know, but my take is that circumstance and health were part of it, but a lot was on Dunn too.

This year he looks like his old self and the performance is back.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I gotta tell you I'm absolutely shocked about Edwin Encarnacion. I always thought the guy was a bum when he played for the Reds and was thrilled when he was traded. I'm eating some serious crow on that one. Although, I have no question he won't even come close to keeping up this pace.
    No need to eat crow. He has never performed anywhere close to this level before, and I doubt he ever would have had any kind of sustained success in Cincinnati. He was the classic example of someone who needed a change in scenery, for both his and the Reds' best interests. There was always the perception that he was a low-energy player. Whether he was or not, I don't know. But bad defense will suck the life out of a team, and he was definitely guilty of bad defense. Also, don't forget that the Blue Jays let him go on waivers to Oakland after the 2010 season, and then the A's let him go less than a month later.

I supported the trade then, and I still do now. Scott Rolen was exactly what this team needed at the time--someone to lead by example and be Wade Garrett to Joey Votto's Dalton. (Bonus points to whomever gets that reference!) I firmly believe that the Reds don't win the division in 2010 if Encarnacion is at 3B instead of Rolen. Sure, Rolen is near the end of the line, and Encarnacion will likely outproduce him in the present and the future (though Edwin's not a 3B anymore--his best position is DH), but Scotty has served his purpose, and he has served the Reds well. This club is Votto's team moving forward--Joey will teach the players of the future the lessons that Scott taught him and Brandon and Jay.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think he had some nagging injuries and he definitely looked out of shape to me. Throw in missed time for an appendectomy and he just never got going. I'm also guessing he was pressing a bit to justify his contract with his new team. I don't really know, but my take is that circumstance and health were part of it, but a lot was on Dunn too.

This year he looks like his old self and the performance is back.
    Been rumblings that he had some distractions off the field last year. Something about a ill family member and never went public with it. So I'll say no more and leave it at that.

The truth is what's happened to EE and Dunn never could have hapened in the NL. Both needed the "space" of being able to DH. Without that option, NL teams would not have had the patience to stick with 'em.

That's not to take away from the season they're having. They need not apologize for taking advantage of AL rules. Kudos to them. My point is:

What happened there never could have happened here

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The truth is what's happened to EE and Dunn never could have hapened in the NL. Both needed the "space" of being able to DH. Without that option, NL teams would not have had the patience to stick with 'em.

That's not to take away from the season they're having. They need not apologize for taking advantage of AL rules. Kudos to them. My point is:

What happened there never could have happened here
    Even if they were doing what they're doing with the bat, both would have been so bad in the field at this point as to give most or all if it back. I agree that they need the DH, but that's not the only issue.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Ultimately the EE issue is as Big Klu indicated about putting it all together. I mean, even if we hadn't traded Edwin in 2009, would we really have waited until 2012 for a true breakout?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Scott Rolen was exactly what this team needed at the time--someone to lead by example and be Wade Garrett to Joey Votto's Dalton. (Bonus points to whomever gets that reference!)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I gotta tell you I'm absolutely shocked about Edwin Encarnacion. I always thought the guy was a bum when he played for the Reds and was thrilled when he was traded. I'm eating some serious crow on that one. Although, I have no question he won't even come close to keeping up this pace.
    Toronto has a good track record with the dashed dreams of scouts....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Edwin has a career .794 OPS. This year, he has at .894. Sure, he's playing better than his career numbers, but it's not like he pulled a Jose Bautista and went from a low-mid .700's OPS to the up .900's. Dude has always been able to hit pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Edwin has a career .794 OPS. This year, he has at .894. Sure, he's playing better than his career numbers, but it's not like he pulled a Jose Bautista and went from a low-mid .700's OPS to the up .900's. Dude has always been able to hit pretty well.
    But not enough previously to offset his D.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    But not enough previously to offset his D.
    At 3rd base? Yes. Who knows how he would have played in LF or at 1st. Clearly, DH was a nice spot for him, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quentin Berry wasn't traded but released from the Carolina Mudcats at seasons end last year. He started the season at AAA Toledo and has done very well in the leadoff position there. He was called up to Detroit about a month ago when leadoff hitter Austin Jackson was out of the lineup with a health issue. He was 5 for 5 today and is giving the top of the order in Detroit a bit of energy when he gets a start. The guy is batting above .300 and stealing bases. He has a lot of things to work on (strikeouts) but is fun to watch right now.

FWIW, I never understood why Cincy didn't keep him around.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Quentin Berry wasn't traded but released from the Carolina Mudcats at seasons end last year. He started the season at AAA Toledo and has done very well in the leadoff position there. He was called up to Detroit about a month ago when leadoff hitter Austin Jackson was out of the lineup with a health issue. He was 5 for 5 today and is giving the top of the order in Detroit a bit of energy when he gets a start. The guy is batting above .300 and stealing bases. He has a lot of things to work on (strikeouts) but is fun to watch right now.

FWIW, I never understood why Cincy didn't keep him around.
    Had to make room for Daryl Jones.

I can't fault the Reds. Berry is a career minor leaguer and this was a long shot. I love it for him, but I'm guessing the clock is approaching midnight.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Travis Wood with seven shutout innings, 6 Ks, against Mets tonight, leading Santana and the Mets 2-0. Has an ERA in the 3.5 range. Watching game briefly, glad to see him doing well.

Turn Off Ads?