Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tennis Player Drinks from Wrong Glass--Suspended

Tennis Player Drinks from Wrong Glass--Suspended

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

At least Manny didn't try this excuse : Really, it is common at parties to drink from others' glasses? Must be a European thing.

Gasquet suspended after positive cocaine test
    By STUART CONDIE, AP Sports Writer
    2 hours, 38 minutes ago

AP - May 10, 3:45 pm EDT 1 of 5 Tennis Gallery LONDON (AP)—French tennis player Richard Gasquet was suspended Monday following a positive cocaine test and will miss the French Open.

The International Tennis Federation expects to have a panel in place within 60 days for a hearing. Gasquet could face a two-year ban if found guilty.

The 22-year-old player is gathering evidence to prove his innocence despite two samples testing positive. He said a separate test of his hair samples May 7 showed no trace of cocaine. Cocaine traces were found in Gasquet’s urine sample at the Sony Ericsson Open, in Key Biscayne, Fla., in March.

“He’s suspended until the end of the hearing,” ITF spokesman Neil Robinson said. “We’re now assembling an anti-doping tribunal. The ideal time frame is within 60 days, but people have to fly in from all over the world for it.”

The French Open, the year’s second major, begins May 24 and the French Tennis Federation withdrew Gasquet’s name after the provisional suspension.

Gilbert Ysern, director general of the French federation, said the test was considered an in-competition control, meaning Gasquet could face a two-year ban if found guilty. A player who tests positive for cocaine out of competition would face a reduced penalty.

“Richard is devastated by this announcement,” said Ysern, also tournament director of the French Open. “On a human level, we can support him. If he did nothing wrong, we hope he will know how to prove it, but we are not his lawyer.”

Gasquet was ranked No. 7 in July 2007 but has since slipped to No. 21. He has played just five matches since pulling out of the Key Biscayne event before his second-round match against Albert Montanes of Spain.

Gasquet cited a right shoulder injury for the withdrawal and has since returned to play in Barcelona and at the Rome Masters, where he lost in the third round to Fernando Verdasco on May 1.

Former top-ranked player Marat Safin believed Gasquet may not be to blame for his positive test.

“Everyone makes mistakes,” the Russian said at the Madrid Open. “I feel sorry for Gasquet. When you’re at a party, at a huge table full of people having fun, it’s absurd to have to watch what glass you’re drinking from.

“Testing for doping is also becoming very intrusive. It gets to the point where you almost feel you should be calling the ATP to tell them where you are after you leave a party.”

Gasquet lost to Roger Federer in the semifinals at Wimbledon in 2007. He was considered a future star when he first arrived on tour with a one-handed backhand widely considered among the best in the game.

Martina Hingis was banned for two years early last year after testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon. The five-time Grand Slam champion and former top-ranked player failed a test after losing to Laura Granville in 2007.

Hingis, who has since retired, became the second WTA player suspended for cocaine after Lourdes Dominguez Lino of Spain was banned for three months in 2002.

Former top-ranked men’s player Mats Wilander and Karel Novacek had positive tests for cocaine at the 1995 French Open.

That was before the introduction of rules to automatically suspend players following a positive second test. Both continued playing before they were banned for three months and ordered to return prize money and forfeit rankings points.

Associated Press Writers Samuel Petrequin in Paris and Harold Heckle in Madrid contributed to this report.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tennis Player Drinks from Wrong Glass--Suspended

What? I thought cocaine isn't absorbed into the body by mouth, thats why the police "taste" it to see if the substance makes their tongue numb. I'd like to know the science on this.

I'm not buying his story......

Maybe it was like what happened to Dick when he got on the wagon, or was it fell off the wagon, after picking up Jerry's alcoholic drink instead of his own virgin drink at Elaine's work party? I bet that's it. He picked up the cocaine laced drink at a party where everyone was just having a good old time, drinking out of each other's glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Maybe it was like what happened to Dick when he got on the wagon, or was it fell off the wagon, after picking up Jerry's alcoholic drink instead of his own virgin drink at Elaine's work party? I bet that's it. He picked up the cocaine laced drink at a party where everyone was just having a good old time, drinking out of each other's glasses...
    I have no idea what that means.

Rem

Tennis is a difficult sport to administrate---players pick the tournaments they want to play, enter events that they may think they can do well in when more than one tourney is running that week, cities and facilities they like etc. They are pretty much free-lance artists. For some players the city/facility/party crowd is what they gravitate to.

Still, no excuse. You've just played a match and/or will play a match the next day and you are at a party? Yep, I know that these are rich (even the low-ranking players) twenty-somethings that are traveling to some of the most exciting cities in the world but you have to have an eye open so that you don't put yourself in harm's way.

OTOH, waiting for 60 days for a 'tribunal' to meet is rediculous. And, if they are going to wait that long for a hearing then Gasquet should be allowed to play until a final decission is made.

JMO

Rem

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I think its a Seinfeld reference

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What? I thought cocaine isn't absorbed into the body by mouth, thats why the police "taste" it to see if the substance makes their tongue numb. I'd like to know the science on this.
    Yes, from my understanding, it can be missed into liquids and ingested orally. I believe that is how Len Bias OD'd.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Two years for testing positive for cocaine?!? I can't decide whether I think they're nuts or if I want to put them in charge of MLB's drug enforcement program.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    I think its a Seinfeld reference
    Indeed. Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Seinfeld. A slice of Americana.

How about not hanging out with people who do blow? Just a thought.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?