Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't get me wrong, I love Hanny......

Don't get me wrong, I love Hanny......

..... but I think I'm ready to see Meso pick up another pitcher and take the lead in playing time. It really looks like he's starting to get more comfortable at the plate and having good at bats. The future has arrived IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Don't get me wrong, I love Hanny......

Dusty won't see it that way. I predict that long as Hanigan hits over .200, he'll get most of the starts this season.
    /r/reds

Mesoraco is the sole reason I'd like to see Hanny traded. Let Navarro back him up. While Hanigan is here Mesoraco will never get the lion's share of playing time.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I still think Hanigan is undervalued. Heck, I still miss Ramon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I still think Hanigan is undervalued. Heck, I still miss Ramon.
    At least Hanigan can get on base. I don't think the Reds should trade the only active player (with Votto out) who can get on base. I think he should be playing first base in Votto's absence.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    At least Hanigan can get on base. I don't think the Reds should trade the only active player (with Votto out) who can get on base. I think he should be playing first base in Votto's absence.
    Since the start of June Hanigan is hitting .238/.326/.310.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

That would make sense if he could, you know, play 1B....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Since the start of June Hanigan is hitting .238/.326/.310.
    In the last 28 games, Rolen is .304/.225/.529. Hanigan is .300/.333/.633. Maybe Hanigan can't play first...who knows? He played 59 games there in the minors.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-20-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

In the last 28 games, Rolen is .304/.225/.529. Hanigan is .300/.333/.633. Maybe Hanigan can't play first...who knows? He played 59 games there in the minors.
    What does Hanigan's line have to do with Rolen's? Or are you saying Frazier should be at 3rd and Hanny at 1B?

Side note, slash lines are Avg/OBP/SLG

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I know that Hanigan can't hit enough to play first base, even part time.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I know that Hanigan can't hit enough to play first base, even part time.
    It would be nice if Mes could at least out hit Hanny so we can have the discussion that he should have most of the PT.

An OK July so far, hopefully he's coming around.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I am fine with keeping the current 60/40 playing time split for Hanigan/Mesoraco until Devin can truly earn more playing time. Right now Hanigan is the better defensive catcher and the more productive hitter.

What I don't get is why the experienced veteran catcher Hanigan catches the experienced crafty veteran pitcher Bronson Arroyo, while the raw rookie catcher Devin Mesoraco catches the inexperienced, non-crafty, still-learning young pitcher Homer Bailey.

Seems like Mesoraco could learn a lot by pairing up with Arroyo, and Homer could learn a lot by pairing up with Hanigan. Right now we have the blind leading the blind and the trail guide leading another trail guide.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    What I don't get is why the experienced veteran catcher Hanigan catches the experienced crafty veteran pitcher Bronson Arroyo, while the raw rookie catcher Devin Mesoraco catches the inexperienced, non-crafty, still-learning young pitcher Homer Bailey.

Seems like Mesoraco could learn a lot by pairing up with Arroyo, and Homer could learn a lot by pairing up with Hanigan. Right now we have the blind leading the blind and the trail guide leading another trail guide.
    The current match up is doing just fine.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The current match up is doing just fine.
    Exactly. Anybody wonder if Bronson is having a good year BECAUSE he feels comfortable with Hanigan? Same for Homer with Mesoraco. I personally think Baker is handling the catching situation perfectly. Eventually Devin will force himself into the lead role and more playing time. Until then, Ryan is more than capable.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Exactly. Anybody wonder if Bronson is having a good year BECAUSE he feels comfortable with Hanigan? Same for Homer with Mesoraco. I personally think Baker is handling the catching situation perfectly. Eventually Devin will force himself into the lead role and more playing time. Until then, Ryan is more than capable.
    I agree Mesoraco has a lot to learn and until then Hanigan should get most of the work. That is what I said before. The point you may have missed is that Mesoraco can learn a lot from Arroyo, so having him work with Arroyo instead of Bailey could accelerate Mesoraco's development as a catcher.

The same goes for Bailey working with Hanigan. Bailey could learn a lot by working with a top-notch defensive catcher with tons of experience like Hanigan. I am sure Bailey's numbers would be even better if he had been working with Hanigan instead of Mesoraco all year.

The Reds should make sure to have that veteran experience, wisdom and savvy transferred to the young players while the veterans are still here. Having the veterans working with each other instead of the youngsters is wasting an opportunity. I am sure they discuss things during off-time, but there is nothing like doing it on the field in game action.

Bronson Arroyo is having a good year? News to me. His days as a good pitcher were over years ago. Many folks predicted Arroyo would have a bounce back season this year and his three good cold-weather starts in April convinced those people they were right. But ever since then Arroyo has been mediocre at best just like last year. He has a 4.50 ERA since May 1st and it has been rising quickly ever since then.

Arroyo has had the benefit of working with Hanigan, who is a far better catcher than Mesoraco and that has helped his numbers at the expense of Bailey (since Bailey has not had the good fortune to work with Hanigan). Hanigan makes any pitcher look better. But his experience would work better for Bailey because Bailey could learn so much from him.

Turn Off Ads?