Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal

Re: Yasmani Grandal

Quote Originally Posted by DBFROMNVA View Post
    Their agent must love Jocketty. He has watched him fold like a tent and give out ML contracts twice in the last three years. It will limit flexibility if injuries hit over the next year and a half. Grandal was not going back to college with the loaded draft next year. Call his bluff.
    Disagree. The ML contract is given for a reduction in the overall number, money put to elsewhere, as in signing more drafted guys or international players. IMHO, there are a half dozen absolutely fungible guys on the 40 man who ought not to stand in the way of our signing our best prospects.

2. Turn Off Ads?

IMHO, there are a half dozen absolutely fungible guys on the 40 man who ought not to stand in the way of our signing our best prospects.
    I agree. Grandal is a far more valuable asset than guys in AAA providing middle relief depth. I don't see the major league deal being a burden.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except he gets 4 years, so he has until the start of 2015 before he must stick.
    I believe it should be noted that the 4th option year is not a guarantee. If all 3 options aren't used up in his first 5 seasons professionally, he doesn't get the 4th year.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I believe it should be noted that the 4th option year is not a guarantee. If all 3 options aren't used up in his first 5 seasons professionally, he doesn't get the 4th year.
    Well that is true, but at that point it doesn't matter.

What about wasting a roster space that could be better used for a team in that is not only contending this year, but may contend the next few years?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    What about wasting a roster space that could be better used for a team in that is not only contending this year, but may contend the next few years?
    Is he 'wasting' it any more than Danny Herrera is? No, he isn't. Plus, the fact that he is on the 40 man and got the MLB deal which helps spread out his bonus likely allowed the Reds to sign Drew Cisco too, who got $975,000, money that probably wouldn't have been there if Grandal wasn't given the big league deal and had his bonus spread over a few years.

It could. Because while he may have 5 professional seasons, he may only have 1.5 years of service at that time... meaning that extra option could come in handy if he were to struggle the following season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

By the way... after some confusion, I went back and did some digging... and I'm pretty sure this year will count as an option year. It won't count as a professional season (used for the evaluation clock to place a player on the 40-man--which won't affect Grandal since he's already signed to a Major League deal), but I believe it will count as an optional assignment for him if he spends more than 20 days active.

If that's the case, 2010, 2011 and 2012 would be his option years, though he would be credited with just two "professional" years of service, meaning he would then be granted the fourth option year for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    By the way... after some confusion, I went back and did some digging... and I'm pretty sure this year will count as an option year. It won't count as a professional season (used for the evaluation clock to place a player on the 40-man--which won't affect Grandal since he's already signed to a Major League deal), but I believe it will count as an optional assignment for him if he spends more than 20 days active.

If that's the case, 2010, 2011 and 2012 would be his option years, though he would be credited with just two "professional" years of service, meaning he would then be granted the fourth option year for 2013.
    He won't spend 20 days in the minors, just like Alonso didn't in 2008. The Reds know what they are doing and will place him somewhere that doesn't have 20 days left so he doesn't use an option this year. They aren't stupid.

I just posted a new thread with an article from Fangraphs explaining option years, ML deals and time. It's here in the minor league forum.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

He won't spend 20 days in the minors, just like Alonso didn't in 2008. The Reds know what they are doing and will place him somewhere that doesn't have 20 days left so he doesn't use an option this year. They aren't stupid.
    I was going to say I didn't get that impression from Jocketty's comments because they were giving him two stops, which is why I had brought it up. But I re-read his comments and realized he said they would send him to Goodyear first, then on to Billings. So yeah, you're right that he probably won't be on an active list for more than 20 days.

Is he 'wasting' it any more than Danny Herrera is? No, he isn't.
    I think so, yes. DRH has proven something at the MLB level. He has been at least an average reliever at The Show.

Plus, the fact that he is on the 40 man and got the MLB deal which helps spread out his bonus likely allowed the Reds to sign Drew Cisco too, who got $975,000, money that probably wouldn't have been there if Grandal wasn't given the big league deal and had his bonus spread over a few years.
    Speculation at best. We don't know that for sure, but it's a nice theory.

I am not losing sleep over losing DRH or Owings from the 40-man. They are expendable. But there are MORE that are going to deserve 40-man spots and much sooner than Grandal will be ready. I like that he is in the fold, but I remain concerned that he is taking a 40-man spot WELL before he is ready and that spot will be valuable as hades in an organization as stocked with prospects who are major league ready as this one is.

That is better, but I still don't like it. Unlike other positions a catcher has to be ready both offensively and defensively. If either is slow to develop then he becomes a wasted pick rather quickly. He can always be carried as a backup catcher, but unless he is ready on both sides of the ball the Reds won't be able to afford to give him much playing time (as long as the Reds are contending). Without playing time it is doubtful he will improve much further.

johnfayman

#Reds designate Micah Owings for assignment to make room for Yasmani Grandal.

Turn Off Ads?