Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC football discussion thread #3

Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

Not as good as Utah from a few years back, but still fun so far.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My wife is growing concerned. If Bama were to lose tonight and Auburn were to win the national championship on Monday, a zombie apocalypse would be preferable to what will happen thereafter on Sand Mountain.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Shouldn't be an issue.

It just got real serious when I suggested Saban could still bolt for Texas or Cleveland. She's packing an emergency bag now in case we need to evacuate ahead of the implosion.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-03-2014)

Glad I don't have to do a shot every time Okie misses a tackle. I'd just have to hold a bottle in each hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think holier than thou college football debate is pointless and stupid. Every school from Alabama to Utah St violates NCAA rules one way or another every single season. Some get caught, some don't, but arguing about which school or conference is "cleaner" is ridiculous. The stakes for those violations are obviously higher at an Ohio State or USC or Alabama due to the money and prestige involved, but it happens everywhere which is why the NCAA is going to be fundamentally reformed over the next 10 years because there is no way to police it.
    I've been reading "The King of Sports" by Gregg Easterbrook and what I find concerning isn't what schools are doing that violate NCAA rules, but rather some of the stuff they do that is perfectly legal. For all the talk about how much money College Football makes, it amazes me that they not only hide behind the tax exempt status of the University while often being organized as separate entities to protect their assets from the University, but even most of the profitable programs receive additional payments from their University's general fund. Apparently there were only six programs which haven't dipped into their University's general fund in recent years. And this is on top of the University often paying for facility upgrades. Not only are they making money hand over fist, but they're raking in all kinds of money from students (and taxpayers if they are public) as well. This is all in the name of keeping up with the Joneses.

Unfortunately, I think the only way reform will happen is if Congress gets involved. Considering the political capital the universities and their football programs have, I don't see it changing anytime soon.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I've been reading "The King of Sports" by Gregg Easterbrook and what I find concerning isn't what schools are doing that violate NCAA rules, but rather some of the stuff they do that is perfectly legal. For all the talk about how much money College Football makes, it amazes me that they not only hide behind the tax exempt status of the University while often being organized as separate entities to protect their assets from the University, but even most of the profitable programs receive additional payments from their University's general fund. Apparently there were only six programs which haven't dipped into their University's general fund in recent years. And this is on top of the University often paying for facility upgrades. Not only are they making money hand over fist, but they're raking in all kinds of money from students (and taxpayers if they are public) as well. This is all in the name of keeping up with the Joneses.

Unfortunately, I think the only way reform will happen is if Congress gets involved. Considering the political capital the universities and their football programs have, I don't see it changing anytime soon.
    All you have to do is tie it to a revenue generating source and it's like youre handed a blank check regardless of where the generated revenue will end up.

And that is what happens to teams that are overconfident.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    And that is what happens to teams that are overconfident.
    That is what happens when one team isn't as good as the other one.

12. Likes:

Slyder (01-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That is what happens when one team isn't as good as the other one.
    Auburn damaged Bama. You were watching a wounded animal. It was kind of sad in a way.

Auburn left them tattered....a great white shark that can't catch a seal....a three-legged cheetah...Napolean with no mojo.

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-03-2014)

Don't think that had anything to do with Auburn. Who did Alabama beat this year? Squeaked out a win vs. 4 loss A&M? A&M barely beat Duke in their bowl game. A 3 loss LSU I guess?

Sometimes things are more clear in hindsight, and it doesn't look like Alabama was all that strong this year.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-03-2014),jimbo (01-03-2014),Roy Tucker (01-03-2014),Slyder (01-03-2014)

Time to take a time out, find a QB, and make the changes needed on defense up to stopping 2014 offenses. The 1999 offenses are vanishing quickly, even in the NFL. I imagine next year Saban has packages were his DE can cover RBs, his LB can cover WRs, and he never has to leave a Safety on a slot WR again.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Don't think that had anything to do with Auburn. Who did Alabama beat this year? Squeaked out a win vs. 4 loss A&M? A&M barely beat Duke in their bowl game. A 3 loss LSU I guess?

Sometimes things are more clear in hindsight, and it doesn't look like Alabama was all that strong this year.
    Alabama was "more talented" than every team they played.

That Auburn loss will be in their heads for a long time. They feel like Al Gore in 2000.

But it's hard to win three in a row. Getting all of the free suits tailored is distracting...all of the free steak dinners tends to make one less hungry and football requires talent AND hunger.. And being around the success starts to make one a little too self confident...maybe just maybe you know more than Smart or Saban...at least their voices aren't quite as loud and you don't really get a consequence for stopping one bench press short of what you could've pressed. Some of the little things suffer. Execution is all about the little things and that's important because it's rare to just out athlete an opponent in the Sugar Bowl.

Auburn is in their heads and now Bama fans need Auburn to lose in order to retreat into the delusion that they have a claim for their 44th national championship. It might be the only thing that prevents a statewide meltdown and descent into madness where violence against trees somehow makes sense. In a way it's unfortunate for eagles that an eagle is one of the proud symbols of Auburn University. Auburn ought to adopt racism and illiteracy as symbols in a grande form of reverse psychology.
    Last edited by jojo; 01-03-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Time to take a time out, find a QB, and make the changes needed on defense up to stopping 2014 offenses. The 1999 offenses are vanishing quickly, even in the NFL. I imagine next year Saban has packages were his DE can cover RBs, his LB can cover WRs, and he never has to leave a Safety on a slot WR again.
    Maybe he can covert Reuben Foster into a cover guy....

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

They lost on the road on the last play of the game to their hated rival, the SEC champions and #2 team in the country and a few weeks later they played an uninspired game against a team they would likely beat on most days.

Sometimes hindsight clouds one's vision.

Turn Off Ads?