Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Bronson

What to do with Bronson

We added two years through 2013 and $23.5 million in new money to him. That's quite a handicap. So what can we possibly do with this guy?

-1.1 WAR this season. Average big league starter for the past 3 years prior.

I say the answer is clear, Move LeCure to the rotation and make Bronson the highest paid long man in baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to do with Bronson

They need to just shut him down, to think his pitching isn't being impacted on my the mono is just not thinking. shut him down, bring up Wood and finish the season that way.

I can't believe he is starting tonight....this is his last chance IMO. If he can't beat the AAA Astros then he needs to be removed from the Starting Rotation, DL'd or something....he is flat out hurting this team.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I can't believe he is starting tonight....this is his last chance IMO. If he can't beat the AAA Astros then he needs to be removed from the Starting Rotation, DL'd or something....he is flat out hurting this team.
    Not sure I would say HE is hurting the team. He is just doing what he is asked to do by his Manager. Bronson is trying his best, and IMO he should be given props for just going out there with Mono. It is Baker that is hurting this team by not shutting him down. I am sure Bronson tells Dusty he wants to pitch, but the manager has to step in sometimes and just say NO, thank him for his determination but do what is best for the TEAM.

Quote Originally Posted by redram View Post
    Not sure I would say HE is hurting the team. He is just doing what he is asked to do by his Manager. Bronson is trying his best, and IMO he should be given props for just going out there with Mono. It is Baker that is hurting this team by not shutting him down. I am sure Bronson tells Dusty he wants to pitch, but the manager has to step in sometimes and just say NO, thank him for his determination but do what is best for the TEAM.
    Of course he is hurting his team. And of course he is doing his best, I have no doubt about that as well. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

He was cleared by doctors so it's not a health issue. The only thing I can think of is that he's never really fully recovered his strength after getting mono, and with 100+ heat index games all summer it's probably made it harder for him to catch up.

If he struggles tonight you have to DL him, that way he can be good to go next year. He's not as bad as he's pitching right now...I really don't think a guy that has made a career on throwing 67 mph breaking balls just loses it like that.
    Last edited by Stray; 08-01-2011 at 03:34 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    He was cleared by doctors so it's not a health issue. The only thing I can think of is that he's never really fully recovered his strength after getting mono, and with 100+ head index games all summer it's probably made it harder for him to catch up.

If he struggles tonight you have to DL him, that way he can be good to go next year. He's not as bad as he's pitching right now...I really don't think a guy that has made a career on throwing 67 mph breaking balls just loses it like that.
    Yeah, just because someone is over a sickness, doesn't mean they're back at full strength.

I fully believe Arroyo isn't back to full strength, and that is the problem.

I think they should shut him down for the season and bring up Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Of course he is hurting his team. And of course he is doing his best, I have no doubt about that as well. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
    Well, I disagree with you. he is doing what he is told to do and he is doing it the best that he can. He is only hurting the team because he is being thrown out there every 5 days by the MANAGER. That means Dusty is hurting the team, Bronson is only doing what he is told to do by his BOSS. It is no different if you had an employee that was hurt yet you had him doing jobs he could not physically do. Who is the one hurting your company the employee that is hurt or the Boss that keeps asking him to do what he cannot do as well as someone that is not hurt. It is no different in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by redram View Post
    Well, I disagree with you. he is doing what he is told to do and he is doing it the best that he can. He is only hurting the team because he is being thrown out there every 5 days by the MANAGER. That means Dusty is hurting the team, Bronson is only doing what he is told to do by his BOSS. It is no different if you had an employee that was hurt yet you had him doing jobs he could not physically do. Who is the one hurting your company the employee that is hurt or the Boss that keeps asking him to do what he cannot do as well as someone that is not hurt. It is no different in this case.
    OK, I see your point and I basically agree...just a matter of semantics. I too am more frustrated with management mainly.

Bronson should have been in a Hospital any of the preceding 4 months. Send him there now.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Move LeCure to the rotation and make
    not this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    He was cleared by doctors so it's not a health issue. The only thing I can think of is that he's never really fully recovered his strength after getting mono, and with 100+ heat index games all summer it's probably made it harder for him to catch up.

You actually believe what the Reds doctors and the Reds say?

The way the Reds have handled Arroyo is puzzling. Between the mono and the 2-3 mph drop in velocity, it seems like there is a physical problem. His recent physical didn't turn up anything, but that means very little. My biggest fear is that pitching him with mono was like running an engine without oil. He may have put years of wear and tear on his arm this season. I don't really know if the problem is temporary or permanent, but given his recent ineffectiveness, a 15 day DL stint seems like the best course. But since he continues to be in the lineup, I hope he matches Cueto's Sunday performance.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Key will be pulling him after 5 strong innings. It seems like all year he started getting in trouble in the 6th. Unless he is throwing a no hitter or an absolute GEM, I want to see someone throwing in the bullpen after 5.

First batter to reach in the 6th or later = reliever comes in. After Cueto's CG yesterday, we should be good and rested.

Worst pitcher in mlb

Turn Off Ads?