Turn Off Ads?

Thread: DVD/VCR Recorder Combos

DVD/VCR Recorder Combos

We will probably get one of these for our Christmas present this year and was wondering what brand is best? What is the good and bad of them? Are they hard to use for someone technically challenged?
    My wife has some home movies of her on VHS when she was little;our wedding video and I have a VHS of converted home movies,about three hours worth, my grandfather made in the 1950's that we would like to convert to DVD. I also have tons of UK basketball games I would like to convert too but I'm sure I'll never do them all. Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: DVD/VCR Recorder Combos

cumberland, do as you feel you should, but I would just buy a DVD recorder and hook the existing VCR to it with the red, white, and yellow RCA cables. Once you've got all your stuff onto DVDs, you'll have that big ol' VCR slot sitting there in your machine with no further use for it. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    cumberland, do as you feel you should, but I would just buy a DVD recorder and hook the existing VCR to it with the red, white, and yellow RCA cables. Once you've got all your stuff onto DVDs, you'll have that big ol' VCR slot sitting there in your machine with no further use for it. Just my two cents.
    Thanks but my VCR's are just about worn out. They are old and at times have had problems playing and recording things on them. You can't find just a VCR alone in a store anymore. It's just the combo's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I know next to nothing about them, but Sears had some on sale last weekend.

$65-90
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I know next to nothing about them, but Sears had some on sale last weekend.

$65-90
    If the DVD has recording capability then that sounds like a good deal. I'll check them out. Thanks!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If the DVD has recording capability then that sounds like a good deal. I'll check them out. Thanks!
    That was a typo it should have read 165-190
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Thanks but my VCR's are just about worn out. They are old and at times have had problems playing and recording things on them. You can't find just a VCR alone in a store anymore. It's just the combo's.
    Walmarts has VCR-only players for $29.

But what macro says is best.

I bought a Magnavox VCR/DVD Recorder combo last year, for just under $200, in order to transfer my VHS home movies over to DVD. I got a majority of them done before the unit finally puked on me. It was constantly giving me trouble with DVD record errors. I did everything I could to correct this.... tried different format of DVDs, cleaned the unit, etc., etc.

Walmarts has that same model now for around $149.

I went out last week and bought a Sony DVD recorder for $120, and I'm going to hook up our VCR to it to finish the task.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-09-2008 at 05:28 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Walmarts has VCR-only players for $29.

But what macro says is best.

I bought a Magnavox VCR/DVD Recorder combo last year, for just under $200, in order to transfer my VHS home movies over to DVD. I got a majority of them done before the unit finally puked on me. It was constantly giving me trouble with DVD record errors. I did everything I could to correct this.... tried different format of DVDs, cleaned the unit, etc., etc.

Walmarts has that same model now for around $149.

I went out last week and bought a Sony DVD recorder for $120, and I'm going to hook up our VCR to it to finish the task.
    That was the one at Wal-Mart I was looking at,a Magnavox. I'll probably get it and give it a try. The Wal-Mart here in northern Virginia doesn't have any stand alone VCR's. If I could find one at that price I would get it. One of our VCR's has just about bit the dust. Thanks to all for your input.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 12-10-2008 at 09:52 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

That was the one at Wal-Mart I was looking at,a Magnavox. I'll probably get it and give it a try. The Wal-Mart here in northern Virginia doesn't have any stand alone VCR's. If I could find one at that prive I would get it. One of our VCR's has just about bit the dust. Thanks to all for your input.
    Like I said.... it worked great for a while, as far as recording (dubbing) went; but it soon developed problems in that area on the DVD side. But both sides still worked great though individually as far as playing VHS or DVDs.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I have a Panasonic DVD/VHS combo that also burns dvds. I've honestly never tried to burn a dvd with it, but otherwise its a very nice unit.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

My cousin has a theory that anything that's two machines in one never works for long. VCR/DVD, phone/answering machine, electric can opener/wine corker, etc. I've found his theory to be correct most of the time.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    My cousin has a theory that anything that's two machines in one never works for long. VCR/DVD, phone/answering machine, electric can opener/wine corker, etc. I've found his theory to be correct most of the time.
    Very sound reasoning to me. You can add all in one washer/dryer combos, surround sound systems that have dvd players built in, TVs with built in VCRs and/or DVD players, and Wily Taveras.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Very sound reasoning to me. You can add all in one washer/dryer combos, surround sound systems that have dvd players built in, TVs with built in VCRs and/or DVD players, and Wily Taveras.
    Also add those 3-in-1 copiers, printers, faxes to that list. Once one goes bad you're screwed.

Turn Off Ads?