Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nice article on Tom Browning.....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Nice article on Tom Browning.....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CINCINNATI -- There is no shortage of personal and team excellence in former Reds pitcher Tom Browning's legacy with the club.

Browning was on Cincinnati's 1990 World Series championship squad. He pitched a perfect game on Sept. 16, 1988, won 20 games as a rookie in 1985 and went to an All-Star Game in 1991.
    In 2008, it's been back to the beginning for Browning --- the very beginning. The 48-year-old has started his coaching career with the Reds at the lowest rung of the farm system at Billings, Mont. -- the Mustangs, a rookie-level affiliate in the Pioneer League. It's the same place where he started his playing career 26 years ago.
    "We're 1,500 miles from everything -- nothing is going to happen fast here," said Browning, who was 123-90 with a 3.94 ERA in 12 seasons, 11 with the Reds.
    It's definitely thousands of miles in every aspect of the Major League life. Browning is back to busing it with the young players -- some not even 21 yet -- in long trips around the league to places like Missoula, Great Falls, Idaho Falls and even his hometown, Casper, Wyo.
    Like the kids, Browning, the pitching coach, stays with a host family. He's living in the basement at his sister's house. And he's loving every minute of the entire coaching experience to this point.
    "It's exactly what I expected," Browning said. "It's first-year players in Billings, Mont. Guys still have their college attitudes here, but they came in with an idea of how to pitch. I don't claim to know everything. I watch and listen. I told them most of my education came from trial and error. They're pretty receptive to the program set up by the Reds and [former Reds pitching coach] Vern Ruhle when he was here."
    Browning remained a fixture in the Cincinnati area and lived in Northern Kentucky after his 1996 retirement. He took a stab at managing with the Florence (Ky.) Freedom in an independent league a few years back. Maintaining ties to the Reds, he also served as a Spring Training instructor and club ambassador the past few years.

On the bus trips, Browning has bonded with the players. They've introduced him to the TV show "Entourage," which passes the time between cities. On and off the field, he's introduced them to what it takes to reach the Majors and shared his knowledge of pitching.
    "It's helped me that I've had success at the big league level," Browning said. "It gives me credibility with the players in some regard. I enjoy what I do. It's about communicating and relating to the players. I tell them Major League Baseball is the greatest place in the world, because it is. They're on the bottom rung, and at what's the first stop towards hopefully a Major League career. I make all of them believe they have a chance.
    "I invented nothing and I don't claim to know everything. I was a good listener and paid attention. I was fortunate to have been around some pretty good players and coaches."
    Now, Browning is one of those coaches passing on what he knows to the next generation. Almost 20 years removed from his perfect game vs. the Dodgers, he sees it from the other side this time around. "Guys think they can conquer the world -- it's awesome," Browning said. "They're great kids. I'd trade places with them, with no guarantees, just for the opportunity to try it again."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nice article on Tom Browning.....

Thanks for posting this. He was always one of my favorite players.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

He is saying all the right things. I hope he has turned the page. Those kids depend on him.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    He is saying all the right things. I hope he has turned the page. Those kids depend on him.
    TC, you'd know a lot better than me but I've heard several things about Browning and all say he's a horrific coach. I sure hope he's changed as well, or that his time in Florida before was simply a misrepresentation of his coaching talent.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    TC, you'd know a lot better than me but I've heard several things about Browning and all say he's a horrific coach. I sure hope he's changed as well, or that his time in Florida before was simply a misrepresentation of his coaching talent.
    I hope he has changed too. Like I said earlier these kids are really depending on him. People can change. I'll give Tom the benefit of the doubt. We have all been humbled in life.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I hope he has changed too. Like I said earlier these kids are really depending on him. People can change. I'll give Tom the benefit of the doubt. We have all been humbled in life.
    I am curious what was so bad about Browning as a coach?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am curious what was so bad about Browning as a coach?
    Ummmm. not going there. LOL
    Cedric 3/24/08

Warm welcome awaits Mustangs' Browning in return to Casper

By GREG RACHAC
    Of The Gazette Staff

On Sept. 16, 1988, Cincinnati Reds pitcher Tom Browning took the mound against the Los Angeles Dodgers and threw what was then just the 10th perfect game in the modern era of Major League Baseball.

Nearly 20 years after the fact, Browning will receive a hero's welcome tonight when he returns to his hometown of Casper, Wyo., as the first-year pitching coach for the Billings Mustangs.

Browning will be honored throughout the four-game series between the Mustangs and Casper Ghosts.

"They're going to roll out the red carpet for me that's for sure," Browning said with a grin. "It's kind of neat. This is the first time I'll be able to really go home for an extended period of time. I'm looking forward to it."

Tonight's game will serve as Tom Browning Bobblehead night. The souvenir will be available to the first 1,000 fans through the gate at Mike Lansing Field. Browning will throw out the ceremonial first pitch, as well.

Browning will also be on had to sign copies of his book, "Tom Browning's Tales from the Reds' Dugout," which was published in 2006.

It's all part of Casper's effort to remember its native son and to help Browning celebrate the 20th anniversary of his perfect game.

Browning, who won 123 games in his career, is one of three former big leaguers of prominence to come from Casper.

Lansing is a former infielder who played nine seasons with Montreal, Colorado and Boston. Mike Devereaux, an outfielder, played 12 seasons with the Dodgers, Orioles, White Sox, Braves and Rangers. He won the 1995 National League Championship Series MVP with the Braves.

"There's some good talent in Wyoming," Browning said. "It just so happens that three of us came from the city of Casper and we were able to make our mark in the big leagues. I'm just glad to represent the city."

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...2-browning.txt

Turn Off Ads?