Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2010 UC Football

Re: 2010 UC Football

Really sucks we lost, but there is at least hope after tonight's performance. If they play like that, they can win the Big East again this year.

Agree with the guy above, no more Woods on punt returns...that fumble was the game. Throw in his fumble in the end zone...ouch, but he played hard. I can't really get too mad about it. We had our chances...

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was thrilled to see all of the UC and OU fans out and about downtown the past few days. Some of the Sooner fans I met were very complimentary of Cincinnati. I love it when UC plays big name opponents at PBS, it is great for the city.

UC looks like they're going to be just fine. It looks like the O-line is coming together, Butch is figuring out how to play call for Zach, and the defense stepped it up when it mattered. With one fewer turnover, UC has a different result. Shoot, even if Jake Rodgers makes his first PAT, they could have gone for two to tie and played for OT instead of having to try the onside kick. Missed PATs always seem to come back to haunt.

D.J. needs to learn to hang onto the ball. The kid is a serious playmaker, but he needs to a playmaker for only one team.

PBS was a lot of fun tonight and the vast majority of the OU fans were well-mannered. I'm a huge proponent of Nippert, but tonight felt "big time" like a bowl game in part to the venue. I might be coming around to the idea of having more UC games on the river after this.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-26-2010 at 01:41 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

So what's going on with this thread? I kid, UC fans, I kid.

I don't know enough about what's been going on in their individual games to know what's "wrong" with UC, but the UC threads were fun to read when they were playing well.

So what are there chances of scratching out 3 more wins and getting to a bowl, maybe?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Retired

Jones has flushed all the goodwill this team built up right down the toilet.

There will be lots of excuses thrown around about players that graduated, young starters, a new coach "learning", etc. That doesn't excuse the horrible game preperation, play calling, and absymal play execution. That's on Jones.

The Big East sucks this year, and there is enough talent on this team, there is no excuse to lose at home against USF and SU. NONE. It's looking like the Butch Jones years are shaping up like the Mick Cronin years, plenty of excuses, but not a lot of wins.

Good news for Ohio State's recruiting...

I guess there is some comfort in knowing that UC is still better than Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Jones has flushed all the goodwill this team built up right down the toilet.

There will be lots of excuses thrown around about players that graduated, young starters, a new coach "learning", etc. That doesn't excuse the horrible game preperation, play calling, and absymal play execution. That's on Jones.

The Big East sucks this year, and there is enough talent on this team, there is no excuse to lose at home against USF and SU. NONE. It's looking like the Butch Jones years are shaping up like the Mick Cronin years, plenty of excuses, but not a lot of wins.
    I think Syracuse will challenge Pitt for the Big East crown. They're not bad at all

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think Syracuse will challenge Pitt for the Big East crown. They're not bad at all
    Pitt shredded Syracuse in the Dome, so Syracuse needs a LOT of help to win the Big East. But Syracuse is definitely much improved.

This sounds incredibly familiar to those of us who went through the Kragthorpe era. Sorry UC fans.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...ing-the-course

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This sounds incredibly familiar to those of us who went through the Kragthorpe era. Sorry UC fans.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...ing-the-course
    Wow. It's amazing how much he sounds like Steve Kragthorpe. This could have been a direct quote of Kragthorpe:

Jones said there were things going on within the program that "Joe Public has no idea" about. He has also alluded to building a foundation.
    Very similar situations overall. High expectations but underachieving relative to the talent. Whispers of "discipline problems" left by the other coach who is currently a popular scape goat. Several recruiting misses and sub-par classes. I predict you'll see several transfers and players kicked off the team this offseason as the coach "cleans house". Next thing you know you'll be fighting Syracuse for last place in the Big East. One advantage UofL had that UC does not is top notch facilities and a booming athletic department which made them attractive to potential coaching hires. UC football may never recover from this hire.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Wow. It's amazing how much he sounds like Steve Kragthorpe. This could have been a direct quote of Kragthorpe:

Very similar situations overall. High expectations but underachieving relative to the talent. Whispers of "discipline problems" left by the other coach who is currently a popular scape goat. Several recruiting misses and sub-par classes. I predict you'll see several transfers and players kicked off the team this offseason as the coach "cleans house". Next thing you know you'll be fighting Syracuse for last place in the Big East. One advantage UofL had that UC does not is top notch facilities and a booming athletic department which made them attractive to potential coaching hires. UC football may never recover from this hire.
    Or it could just be that UC was ready for a down year. There was a lot of talent that came off last season's roster. They were coming off of two BCS Bowl games, the only two in school history. Lets wait and see how Butch Jones does before we start calling him Kragthorpe.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Or it could just be that UC was ready for a down year. There was a lot of talent that came off last season's roster. They were coming off of two BCS Bowl games, the only two in school history. Lets wait and see how Butch Jones does before we start calling him Kragthorpe.
    Jones isnt even in the discussion for worst coach in the Big East, give him some time. I fully expect my Mountaineers to struggle (again) and lose (again) this week as we continue to see excuse, after excuse, after excuse from the biggest excuse in the league that is our coach and offensive cordinator.

There is always growing pains with new coaching staffs what I would look for is are they getting better overall with adjustments and preparation as the team and coach better figure out what works for them. You all lost a coach, top flight QB, and arguably your best WR ever thats a lot for any new administration to overcome. Its not like you all were Boise State and had 21 starters coming back. Plus your defense wasn't that great to begin with under Kelly.

I know, I know, theres no such things as "moral victories" but what do you see from this team besides one letdown game vs Syracuse?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I see few playmakers on a defense of freshmen and sophomores that can't stop anybody and an offensive line that is inconsistent. I understand the fears that go along with Butch Jones, and I do share some of them. His public comments and excuses especially concern me. If you want to preach "Representing the C", isn't accountability for results a part of that? We've heard Cronin pump out excuses for four years and are sick of it. Also, I do hate the excessive chest bumping. Seriously, guys, just stop with it.

If you want to find reasons why UC is 3-5, here they are:

1) The defense can't stop any BCS team. Yes, they're young but I wonder if they have as high of a ceiling as the guys Dantonio had to work with in 2005. If you remember that season, UC was forced to start a bunch of freshmen. They sucked, but later a few of them turned into All-Americans and lead a stout defense. Combined with Huber's punting, they won games without any offense (see Rutgers, 2008). With this defense, UC will have to score 35 to have a shot. That's no guarantee because of the next item...

2) The offensive line. They're inconsistent. They played well against Louisville, Miami and Oklahoma. They've been poor in other games resulting in no run game and Collaros running for his life. And when Zach runs for his life, he forgets to throw the ball away and bad things happen. But at least he can throw the ball greater than 15 yards, unlike Chazz. That's the difference between South Florida and Syracuse. I don't know if it's the position changes, lack of bodies or what, but they've underperformed expectations.

3) Mental breakdowns. There have been too many penalties, missed assignments and personal fouls this season, seemingly at the worst moments.

So how much of this is on Butch? I don't know, and I doubt we'll know for another season or two. I do place the blame for item #3 on him. Discipline is a measure of well-coached team, and I'm not seeing it out of these players.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-11-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'm now officially off the Butch Jones bandwagon. I can understand and expected some dropoff between the past two years and this one since it was obvious we were thin in some key areas, but 3-6 with back to back blowout losses? No way can I get behind or be OK with that.

Turn Off Ads?