Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

thorn

Re: Site Feedback/Questions

Thanks for the info Boss

2. Turn Off Ads?

There are a LOT more threads being created compared to in the past. It seems like at least some of the them are about the exact same thing as another thread that was created a week or two before. There's probably a few subjects that have more than a few threads about them from the last month.

Just an observation ...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    There are a LOT more threads being created compared to in the past. It seems like at least some of the them are about the exact same thing as another thread that was created a week or two before. There's probably a few subjects that have more than a few threads about them from the last month.

Just an observation ...
    I prefer that to excessive aggregation. There was a time a year or two back where there was a tendency to gather ALL discussions about a player into a single thread for that player. I remember complaining about that and Boss replying that it wasn't something TPTB were trying to encourage.
    /r/reds

Not sure if this is the place for a technical question, but every time I click on the Baseball GIFs thread, I get bumped from my internet connection and have to reset my cable modem and wireless router. Anyone else have this problem or know why it happens? I have a feeling it's a setting on my end, but no idea what.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Several weeks ago I started this thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102945

It was closed after just a few posts and the following was posted regarding it:

I realize that moderation is pretty lax in this sub forum but I'm going to shut this one down until the other mods/admins can take a look and discuss.

Thanks for your patience.
    So my question is has a decision been reached by the MODs concerning this thread and if it was decided that it will not be re-opened, why is that?

As the originator of that thread I felt it was a provocative current event being discussed locally in the news / talk radio and would make for compelling discussion in the political section. To this day no one has told me what the problem was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Several weeks ago I started this thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102945

It was closed after just a few posts and the following was posted regarding it:

So my question is has a decision been reached by the MODs concerning this thread and if it was decided that it will not be re-opened, why is that?

As the originator of that thread I felt it was a provocative current event being discussed locally in the news / talk radio and would make for compelling discussion in the political section. To this day no one has told me what the problem was.
    And you were told, in another thread, that if you had any questions you could ask them via PM and that myself or another moderator would gladly answer your questions.

I was the moderator who closed the thread and got feedback from the other mods, so it would have been the best course of action, if you actually wanted answers, to PM me.

That has not happened.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And you were told, in another thread, that if you had any questions you could ask them via PM and that myself or another moderator would gladly answer your questions.

I was the moderator who closed the thread and got feedback from the other mods, so it would have been the best course of action, if you actually wanted answers, to PM me.

That has not happened.
    Wow, instead of being a mod that just TALKS to a member you decided to just be you. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

That has not happened.
    I would think it'd be a courtesy for a MOD to at the very least inform the thread starter if a thread is closed after 5 posts. You don't need an invitation to PM a member. I wouldn't think this would be a private matter. Why shouldn't everyone be educated on what threads are legal and which ones aren't?

I would think it'd be a courtesy for a MOD to at the very least inform the thread starter if a thread is closed after 5 posts. You don't need an invitation to PM a member. I wouldn't think this would be a private matter. Why shouldn't everyone be educated on what threads are legal and which ones aren't?
    That's the other thing that I don't get. Couldn't he have just added a post to that thread with an explantion? That way it educates everyone that frequents that forum and only those people. But, no, he didn't want to do that and he didn't want to send you a friendly pm with an explanation either. He WAS the one that closed the thead. An explanation should be automatic. Instead just attitude. Lovely.

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-10-2013)

The dude has told you twice to address the issue via PM and he'd be happy to explain things privately.

There are apparently reasons the mod would prefer it to be a private matter.

I would actually think if you were truly curious you'd actually spend the few seconds it took to author the post above to author a PM instead.

Mods have a craptastic job. They deserve a little benefit of the doubt when it comes to second guessing how they'd prefer to discuss the rational for moderation-they might just know something that you don't appreciate yet.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

13. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-23-2013),TeamCasey (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The dude has told you twice to address the issue via PM and he'd be happy to explain things privately.

There are apparently reasons the mod would prefer it to be a private matter.

I would actually think if you were truly curious you'd actually spend the few seconds it took to author the post above to author a PM instead.

Mods have a craptastic job. They deserve a little benefit of the doubt when it comes to second guessing how they'd prefer to discuss the rational for moderation-they might just know something that you don't appreciate yet.
    Newsflash: kissing the butts of the MODs will get you nowhere. They're on to you

I'm only addressing only this part since the rest was directed specifically at Sea Ray.

Maybe you're right and there IS a reason why dabvu2498 can't post an explanation in that forum so everyone that frequents that (private) forum has a better understanding of what is, and isn't, acceptable. I can't think of one but, who knows, maybe there is one.

I understand firsthand that being a mod is a thankless job where you have to deal with people that either don't, or can't, be civil. That shouldn't mean you should sink to their level. Jojo, I can understand if you think Sea Ray was out of line. I just don't think dabvu2498 really handled the situation any better.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I'm only addressing only this part since the rest was directed specifically at Sea Ray.

Maybe you're right and there IS a reason why dabvu2498 can't post an explanation in that forum so everyone that frequents that (private) forum has a better understanding of what is, and isn't, acceptable. I can't think of one but, who knows, maybe there is one.

I understand firsthand that being a mod is a thankless job where you have to deal with people that either don't, or can't, be civil. That shouldn't mean you should sink to their level. Jojo, I can understand if you think Sea Ray was out of line. I just don't think dabvu2498 really handled the situation any better.
    He's a mod and gave a very straightforward mechanism for finding out the answer. Refusing to discuss the matter via PM in lieu of trying to rehash things in an open forum kind of indicates this is less about wanting to understand why the thread was closed and more about something else, whatever that something else might be.

But jeeps, just send a PM. Dabs will tell a poster the score, it's not like he rules with an iron fist and stone war hammer.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

17. Likes:

TeamCasey (09-19-2013)

The discussion about the thread in question basically started and stopped with this:

This is a damn shame. Here we have an example of gays screwing with traditional marriage. A generation ago this sort of thing would have gone on without incident and 13 couples would have had the memories of a lifetime.
    This is from post 1 in the thread, and already the discussion is little more than baiting. The discussion that followed consisted of posts that can be summarized as:

-pointing out a flaw in the article's premise
    -historical context for why the article may be flawed
    -a personal attack (in a polite manner)
    -a personal attack (that has been deleted)
    -thread closed, with moderator statement

...and the first two responses were hardly stated in a way that read as "oh, wow, this article brings up a very good discussion about local issues. Let's provide counterpoint!"

A thread was started that had no future or ability to be discussed without becoming a flamefest.

And yes, there are reasons to PM moderators when you have an issue rather than taking it to this sub-forum. Furthermore, PMing every poster who has a thread closed after 5 posts is ridiculous when 99.999999% of threads that are closed are shut down for very obvious reasons, such as flaming, being a duplicate, reaching 1000 posts, or inappropriate content. I thought that was pretty clear in this case too, that the thread needed to be shut down when it did because it had no potential for intelligent discussion following a first post about "gays screwing with traditional marriage" [sic].

So, the moral of the story (and this can be for everybody) is that if you want threads to remain open for discussion, don't start them with harshly worded and extremely controversial statements. This is true for all forums and sub-forums. For example, if you posted this link:

http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/9...-two-outs-reds

...with the title or opening statement "proof that Dusty Baker and Chris Heisey are morons who love to bunt like a fat kid loves cake!" then the thread probably won't last long. However, posting it with the title of the article and a snippet, and then asking for input or saying what you might have discerned from the article that could be a good discussion point, then it might be a good source of discussion.

This also seems like a good time to necro this thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70973

And allow people to start discussing it once again. What constitutes a healthy or good thread/post, and what doesn't? I am aware that we don't have the voting system in place any longer, but this is still a valuable resource for posters, new and old, to look through.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

He's a mod and gave a very straightforward mechanism for finding out the answer. Refusing to discuss the matter via PM in lieu of trying to rehash things in an open forum kind of indicates this is less about wanting to understand why the thread was closed and more about something else, whatever that something else might be.

But jeeps, just send a PM. Dabs will tell a poster the score, it's not like he rules with an iron fist and stone war hammer.
    Most of this post sounds like it's either directed to Sea Ray or just about his actions. So, I don't know if I should've even responded to this. lol

Turn Off Ads?