Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Taveras, Wigginton, and Miles

Reds interested in Taveras, Wigginton, and Miles

From MLBTradeRumors.com:
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 13 at 12:59pm CST]
    Reds GM Walk Jocketty told MLB.com's Mark Sheldon that he's interested in three players who became free agents after being non-tendered by their former clubs: Willy Taveras, Ty Wigginton and Aaron Miles.

Jocketty said Taveras could play in center field, Wigginton's a backup in case they don't get their first choice of outfielders and Miles could work if the Reds don't re-sign Jerry Hairston.

Wigginton played in the outfield 30 times for the Astros this year and that was the most ever for him.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds interested in Taveras, Wigginton, and Miles

The original story from mlb.com:

Non-tendered players options for Reds
    Jocketty expresses interest in Taveras, Wigginton and Miles
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Reds' pool of candidates to fill holes became a little deeper Saturday following the revealing of players who weren't tendered 2009 contracts around the league.
    Among those that pique Cincinnati's interest are outfielder Willy Taveras, utility player Ty Wigginton and infielder Aaron Miles. All are now on the free-agent market.

"Miles, if we don't sign [Jerry] Hairston," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said during a break from Redsfest on Saturday afternoon. "Wigginton if we don't find the outfielder we want. Taveras could be the center fielder-type guy."

Taveras, a speedster who led the Majors with 68 stolen bases last season, batted .251 with a .308 on-base percentage for the Rockies in 2008. The Reds were rumored to have interest in trading for him last month.

Wigginton, who was eligible for arbitration this winter if he remained with the Astros, can play both corner infield spots and left field. He batted .285 with 23 home runs, 58 RBIs and a .350 on-base percentage.

"Wiggington was a bit of a surprise," Jocketty said of his being non-tendered. "I thought [the Astros] might, but I wasn't sure they would."

Miles primarily plays second base, shortstop and third base, but he has some outfield experience. He also played for Jocketty in St. Louis. Last season with the Cardinals, Miles batted .317 with four homers and 31 RBIs.

Another right-handed-hitting outfielder on the market is Jonny Gomes, who was non-tendered by the Rays. Gomes hit a career-high 21 homers in 2005 and was once a promising star for Tampa Bay. He fell back last season and batted .182 with eight homers and 21 RBIs in 77 games.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I was about 5 feet from Jocketty when he was on the radio with Dayton's 980 AM and he said Taveras was someone they were interested in as a leadoff hitter. I almost threw up in my mouth.

Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

This list makes me sick...

You have got to substatue Wiggington with Gomes. Tavares should be an option only if Dickerson, Hopper, and Stubbs can't play for an extended period of time. I'd rather go Joey Gathright for a platoon CFer. Danny Cabrera has to be at least on your plate and Charlie Haeger would be a good option for Louisvilles rotation and a possible pen candidate. Heck no mention of Clay Hansley who was on the Reds radar a year ago. I hope Walt has a change of heart...

I'll pass out the stomach bags. Better take the Malox now because I can see Taveras patroling centerfield at the Great American Ballpark next season.

Wiggington? If Uncle Walt is able to reel him in, I'll give him two thumbs up.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Wigginton

Wigginton would be a nice pickup. good power. can play 1B-2B-3B-LF.
    A look at his defensive stats indicate he is an above average defensive third baseman. he shouldn't be a backup plan.

heck. sign him to play 3B and either move EE to LF or trade him for a SS.

I like all 3 of these guys (ducking tomatoes).

from MLBtraderumors

"John Fay heard from Jocketty that a Wigginton deal could move Edwin Encarnacion to left field"

add a 25 home run bat and improve the defense. no cost in players or draft picks. likely at a decent price.
    do it ASAP!

They're just interested, guys, while the whole FA and trade market is fluid. WJ has to have backup plans in case the primary ones don't work. Nothing to get excited about yet.

As I said before, Uncle Walt doesn't trade Freel unless he sees a centerfielder to take his place. Why trade for Taveras if he has a hunch that the Rockies were going to non-tender him?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    They're just interested, guys, while the whole FA and trade market is fluid. WJ has to have backup plans in case the primary ones don't work. Nothing to get excited about yet.
    That's important to remember. "Fluid" is an appropriate word and we should be looking at every option. I will say this, conceding a point against WK, but Jockety certainly talks more than Krivsky did. It may be, as they say in the old country, blarney, but it gives the fans some red meat and certainly raises blood pressures around RZ land!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: from MLBtraderumors

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    "John Fay heard from Jocketty that a Wigginton deal could move Edwin Encarnacion to left field"

add a 25 home run bat and improve the defense. no cost in players or draft picks. likely at a decent price.
    do it ASAP!
    Is Wigginton better defensively than EE @ 3B?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: from MLBtraderumors

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Is Wigginton better defensively than EE @ 3B?
    By a long shot.

Turn Off Ads?