Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

In December 2006, I was lucky enough to run across a 20GB Playstation 3. Since then, I've been enamoured with the PS3 Blu-Ray picture quality on my 32-inch LCD TV. I'm watching Deja Vu as I'm typing and the PQ is ridiculous with a properly calibrated LCD TV. You notice things you can't see with a DVD on an SD set. Considering the "Trojan Horse" effect from each PS3 also being the least expensive Blu-Ray player on the market, I went "all-in" on the tech and I haven't been let down considering that Blu-Ray is currently outselling HD-DVD by a huge margain.

The games have been so-so and I own only Resistance: Fall of Man and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Both look fantasic on the PS3 as do the PS2 games I missed by never buying a PS2 (God of War 1 and 2, Shadow of the Colossus, etc). Those PS2 games looked great to begin with, but due to a PS3 firmware update, they now upscale (as do regular DVDs). The Playstation Network is in it's infancy, but I've already been able to download and play Wipeout and MediEvil. The system is also backwards-compatible, meaning that I don't have to sell Final Fantasy VII (PS1) yet, nor my Metal Gear Solid, nor my Resident Evil collection. Color me impressed.

Via the latest update, I'm also able to connect to my PC media wirelessly in order to play songs and watch videos stored on my computer, but I digress...

I also picked up a Nintendo DS Lite on the cheap at Sam's Club. I've finished "Hotel Dusk, Room 215" (a fabulous game) and have a bunch of other games I haven't even started yet; including Metroid Prime Hunters, Trace Memory, Phoenix Wright- Ace Attorney (1 and 2), etc. I'll be picking up the web browser attachment next week. It's a great system and I was able to effortlessly connect via my wireless internet to play Metroid Prime Hunters against players all over the world.

My questions are:

1. What system do you have (both console and handheld)?
    2. What games do you enjoy?
    3. What else do you do with the system?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Steel,

You can also run the Folding @ Home distributed computing program on the PS3.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

If that sort of thing intrests you...

I just want to get a PS3 before Madden comes out.

High five!

1. Xbox 360
    2. MLB 2k7, Madden, Halo 3 beta (at the moment), Crackdown, GoW, Rainbow 6 Vegas
    3. Watch movies, its the only DVD player we have. Thinking about getting the HD-DVD player

1. I've got an Xbox. Not a 360 but the regular Xbox. (Hoping to get a 360 by fall for Madden.)

2. College Hoops 2K7, Madden 2007, NBA 2K7, MLB 2K7, Medal of Honor Series

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    Steel,

You can also run the Folding @ Home distributed computing program on the PS3.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

If that sort of thing intrests you...

I just want to get a PS3 before Madden comes out.
    I was thinking about doing the Folding @ Home thing, but I'm concerned that leaving the PS3 on constantly would shorten its lifespan. Now if it was priced like a Gamecube...

Speaking of Gamecube, if anyone needs one they should check their local Sam's Club. Mine has a Gamecube combo pack (system, controller, memory card, two games) on sale for $65.00.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    3. Watch movies, its the only DVD player we have. Thinking about getting the HD-DVD player
    I'd maybe hold off on the HD-DVD player add-on as it's around $200.00 and standalone HD-DVD players are really coming down in price. I've seen online sales for around $299.00 including two HD-DVD movies. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have a standalone player rather than to have to pump video through the Xbox from an add-on.

And even though I'm heavy into Blu-Ray (about 30 movies), I've been threatening to get an HD-DVD player as Universal produces flicks solely for HD-DVD. I'd really like to watch Serenity, The Matrix, Children of Men, Smokin' Aces, and The Hulk in HD.

As you're an Xbox fan, I'd be curious to know what you think of the new Xbox Elite system.

--Ted Williams

I don't play video games but maybe three times a year.

My 8 year old has a Nintendo Wii and a Nintendo GameCube.

He has all of the sports games, Maddens, NCAA Football 2002-2006, NFL 2K3-2K7, NCAA 2K3-2K5. That kind of stuff.

We've been having fun playing Wii Sports (that came with that package) and had our first Wii injury a couple weeks ago when he slammed the nunchuck into my youngest forehead playing HR Derby on Wii Sports.

I'd rather he play outside than inside, but we got him the consoles for when friends or cousins come over to play. They don't get a ton of use.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I play some on the PC(Counter-Srike: Source mainly) but other than that I only have a PS2

Aside from sports games, the God of War series and maybe the GTA's are all I've ever really gotten into.

I'm out of school soon though, so when I get to my summer work I'll probably save up to get a 360.

My wife and I just bought a PS2 over the weekend only for Guitar Hero. She's really addicted. And, I have sore fingers. It's a lot easier to understand Joel Zumaya's injury now.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    We've been having fun playing Wii Sports (that came with that package) and had our first Wii injury a couple weeks ago when he slammed the nunchuck into my youngest forehead playing HR Derby on Wii Sports.
    I ran across a Wii at Wal Mart in January (the last one they had). I grabbed it even though I knew the wife would complain. I didn't intend to use it but, as hard as they were to come by, I figured I'd be able to make a couple bucks on eBay with it if no one I knew wanted it. I called my brother to see if he wanted it for my nephew and neice. Nope. Then he called back the next day to take it because his wife was grumpy with him for not buying it for the kids.

No recorded Wii injuries yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time...

--Ted Williams

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'd maybe hold off on the HD-DVD player add-on as it's around $200.00 and standalone HD-DVD players are really coming down in price. I've seen online sales for around $299.00 including two HD-DVD movies. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have a standalone player rather than to have to pump video through the Xbox from an add-on.

And even though I'm heavy into Blu-Ray (about 30 movies), I've been threatening to get an HD-DVD player as Universal produces flicks solely for HD-DVD. I'd really like to watch Serenity, The Matrix, Children of Men, Smokin' Aces, and The Hulk in HD.

As you're an Xbox fan, I'd be curious to know what you think of the new Xbox Elite system.
    Haven't been too serious about the HD-DVD player because there haven't really been too many movies the wife and I want to watch.

On the Elite system, the thing I would like the most is the HDMI connector. Other than that what I have is OK.

One note, I had to send my 360 in for service because it was randomly freezing. They were pretty good about turning it around and sending me a refurb. I think it only took about 10 days total. So far, no problems.

1. PS3 (sold my PS2 and 8 games on Ebay for over 200 bucks, helped off set the cost)

2. MLB2K7 has been great. I've had it since the day it came out and I still love it. I have Madden, but don't really like it all that much, honestly I liked this years PS2 version better. I rented the tennis game they have for PS3 and was not very impressed, which sucks because I like tennis a lot and I wish they'd make a decent game.

My younger brother and I spent a lot of time over the holidays beating Resistance: Fall of Man, that was a lot of fun, mostly because we could play it co-op. I don't really enjoy playing games like that on my own.

3. I love the Blu-Ray player. I have quite a few Blu-Ray discs.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Does this count?

Hey Steel, you gotta try MLB 07 the Show. It's great.

Personally, I like it better than MLB 2k7.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Hey Steel, you gotta try MLB 07 the Show. It's great.

Personally, I like it better than MLB 2k7.
    I may have to check that out. I haven't played any MLB video games in years and I hated the MLB 2K7 demo I downloaded to the PS3. Thanks for the advice.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?