Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Free Agents for 2009

Possible Free Agents for 2009

Not that I have given up hope for 2008 but thought it was interesting looking at the possible right handed bats that will be available via free agency next year.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...ee-agents.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Possible Free Agents for 2009

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs2370 View Post
    Not that I have given up hope for 2008 but thought it was interesting looking at the possible right handed bats that will be available via free agency next year.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...ee-agents.html
    I would like to see Carl Crawford in a Red's Uniform.

Its an incredibly weak class. I'd go after Pat Burrell if they were to let Dunn walk but thats about it in terms of adressing the offense. Maybe Furcal if Gonzo is gone. Then Kepp could move to left.

I would take a hard look at Derek Lowe simply because his GB/FB ratio would make him real nice at Great American. Other than that no pitchers excite me either. At least none in the Reds price range.

thorn

IF Dunn and Griffey are gone, and we assume Bruce is in RF, some bats I would be looking for to get therough the next couple of years are: Kotsay, Rivera, Mench, Brown, Jones and Encarnacion. If you looking for 3-5 year guys, then I agree, not much there except Crawford.

TB accepted Crawford's option (if I recall correctly?), I think he'll be a Ray till the off-season after '08-'09.

And yes, I'd love to get Crawford, he's one of my favorite players in the MLB.

part of BBN

Of course,let us not forget while we think free-agents, Jocketty could be thinking big trade ( like Big Mac,Rolen).

I throw alot of money at a guy like Pat Burell. Solid numbers and averages like 155 games played per year. Plus, his numbers would probably improve playing in GABP, atleast his power numbers would. A good RH bat to offset our LH lineup. Stick Bruce in RF, and figure out what to do in CF or sign somebody.

John Lackey isn't a flashy name, but if the Reds are still in the market for another starter, he has had 4 straight winning seasons while pitching around 200+ innings in each. Nothing special, but better than most.

Derek Lowe is not the pitcher he was in his best years in Boston, but he's another solid guy. But he turns 35 on June 1st.

The Reds could sign Mike Mussina for the 5th spot in the rotation. He turns 40 in December. Actually, compared to alot of teams #5 guy, his numbers aren't that bad, even at his age.

30 year old Brad Penny? Another guy with decent stats. Nothing flashy.

Ben Sheets? Dream on.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    TB accepted Crawford's option (if I recall correctly?), I think he'll be a Ray till the off-season after '08-'09.

And yes, I'd love to get Crawford, he's one of my favorite players in the MLB.
    That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love having Carl Crawford. When was the last time the Reds had a true leadoff man that could play everyday?

Crawford isnt a true leadoff. He doesnt get on base enough. His 2008 OBP is below .300 and his career OBP is .330.

With his talent, his career to this point would have to be called a disapointment.

Go get him...
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I throw alot of money at a guy like Pat Burell. Solid numbers and averages like 155 games played per year. Plus, his numbers would probably improve playing in GABP, atleast his power numbers would. A good RH bat to offset our LH lineup. Stick Bruce in RF, and figure out what to do in CF or sign somebody.
    Other than the fact that he´s righthanded, what about being Adam Dunn for more money make you interested in Pat Burrell...you realize they´re the same player just flipped around the batter´s box, right?

i would hate to see pat burrell brought in personally.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    i would hate to see pat burrell brought in personally.
    If he was brought in to be a starter, I would agree with you. The only way I would want him would be if he would platoon with Dickerson in left.

I would be highly opposed to bring in Burrell as well. As somebody whose watched him the past few years, he's just cashing in on his contract year. Whoever signs him next season is going to regret it. Oh, not to mention the guy is a complete drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobuddy View Post
    Crawford isnt a true leadoff. He doesnt get on base enough. His 2008 OBP is below .300 and his career OBP is .330.

With his talent, his career to this point would have to be called a disapointment.

Go get him...
    Can you name 10 "true" leadoff hitters in the majors with a OBP better than .330? Crawford is like 110 on the active leaders list in career OBP, but I can't find too many "true" leadoff hitters with a better OBP. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Jimmy Rollins is right ahead of him. Is he a "disapointment" too. And Crawford is only 26. Not everyone can be Rickey Henderson. Give the guy a break. Ichiro, Luis Castillo, Johnny Damon, Furcal, Ray Durham, Juan Pierre, Julio Lugo, and Jimmy Rollins are all guys I would call legitimate lead off hitters (as guys who have been historically leading off) that appear in front of Crawford. Damon and Durham are over the hill, Ichiro and Rollins have no chance ever at becomming Reds, Furcal and Lugo are good, Castillo is starting to fade (speedwise). When you look at him after saying that, he could be one of the best lead off hitters in the league. Maybe I am wrong.
    Last edited by tommycash; 05-10-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Turn Off Ads?