Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I cant take much more Thom Brennaman

I cant take much more Thom Brennaman

Does he drive anyone else nuts with his nonstop negativity during a game in which the reds are losing. He gets stuck on a topic, usually going on and on about a player, a move, or some bonehead play and will not drop it. It is depressing enough watching the reds get blown out, but he just makes it unbearable to watch.

I feel bad for Grande, at least he tries to look at the bright side of things sometimes. After watching today an listening to Thom I would guess the reds had a worse record than the nationals.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I cant take much more Thom Brennaman

Nah I like Thom because he know hes broadcasting the Reds and not telling us about how great some guy on the other teams little sister is at ping pong or something.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Nah I like Thom because he know hes broadcasting the Reds and not telling us about how great some guy on the other teams little sister is at ping pong or something.
    Haha, on a day like today I would almost rather forget I was watching the reds though

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Haha, on a day like today I would almost rather forget I was watching the reds though
    just turn it off then. Why candy coat it, is Grande really going to make you forget the score is 150 - 1? If anything he would just be ticking me off reminding me about the most useless info.

just turn it off then. Why candy coat it, is Grande really going to make you forget the score is 150 - 1? If anything he would just be ticking me off reminding me about the most useless info.
    I wasn't applauding Grande, I simply stated at least he looks at some positives sometimes. Everything about Thom's nature from what he talks about to the tone of voice is just depressing on long days. And he get stuck on a topic for innings at a time, such as today when talking about trading for a Holiday type he was reiterating his same points over at least an inning before i shut it off.

So you want somebody to throw sprinkles on a turd>?

I wasn't applauding Grande, I simply stated at least he looks at some positives sometimes. Everything about Thom's nature from what he talks about to the tone of voice is just depressing on long days. And he get stuck on a topic for innings at a time, such as today when talking about trading for a Holiday type he was reiterating his same points over at least an inning before i shut it off.
    Id still rather listen to him talk about how we will never sign Holliday than George telling us how great another city is.

Like father like son. I absolutey can not listen when it Thom and Franchester on the radio side.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I love him...and his dad....I dont need someone to cheer me up, I am an adult...I dont need someone to hold my hand while I make an opinion about the reds.....I want someone to call a spade a spade and let me see the game the way the game is being played. Thom and Dad both speak highly when the reds are playing great baseball. They are not homers, they call it like it is...Its OK to dislike him because he sounds stupid or because he is whiny or because he gets stuck on a topic..I so get ya there, but he is only speaking what the majority of us are thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I love him...and his dad....I dont need someone to cheer me up, I am an adult...I dont need someone to hold my hand while I make an opinion about the reds.....I want someone to call a spade a spade and let me see the game the way the game is being played. Thom and Dad both speak highly when the reds are playing great baseball. They are not homers, they call it like it is...Its OK to dislike him because he sounds stupid or because he is whiny or because he gets stuck on a topic..I so get ya there, but he is only speaking what the majority of us are thinking.
    Excellent post.

My thoughts exactly...

Quit being babies, they are excellent announcers. If you want sugar coating bull****, change it to WGN and watch that garbage. I want an announcer who tells me the truth -- even when it's bad...

When I mentioned Grande at least looks at the positives sometimes I am not referring to trying to lift my spirits during an 10-1 loss, its that if someone makes a nice play in the field he will talk about it being a nice play regardless of the situation. Thom will basically just say "and Bruce makes the diving stab" and then get back onto some rant about how much we suck and can't compete with this team when just the day before he is talking about how this team competes and can make things interesting.

Its kinda like the old quote about how in baseball you can never get to high and never get too low, Thom just seems like he gets way to low. I love him during 10-1 victories and close wins and losses, but not a fan of him during a blowout loss.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 07-05-2009 at 05:19 PM.

The differnce between George and Thom is this
    George
    A player on the other team got a hit in an 0-2 pitch because hes a great player and it was a great AB.
    Thom
    A player got a hit because it was a ball right down the middle on a 0-2 strike count and was an awful pitch.

George never says anything negative about a player he just says the other player did something great.

Both can be annoying I think a large majority can handle someone telling us the truth.

The differnce between George and Thom is this
    George
    A player on the other team got a hit in an 0-2 pitch because hes a great player and it was a great AB.
    Thom
    A player got a hit because it was a ball right down the middle on a 0-2 strike count and was an awful pitch.

George never says anything negative about a player he just says the other player did something great.

Both can be annoying I think a large majority can handle someone telling us the truth.
    I guess I am missing where I said I don't like Thom because he will tell the truth. That was not at all the point I was making.

I guess I am missing where I said I don't like Thom because he will tell the truth. That was not at all the point I was making.
    Nah I understand what you are saying its just he tends to be negative when negative things happen. He can roll on it for a while but hes also trying to appeal to a large audience not fans who know more about the game than the average fan. He tries to kill time at times because the game is dragging on or tries to hit a subject that some fans might want to know just so they can get some information out there.

Nah I understand what you are saying its just he tends to be negative when negative things happen. He can roll on it for a while but hes also trying to appeal to a large audience not fans who know more about the game than the average fan. He tries to kill time at times because the game is dragging on or tries to hit a subject that some fans might want to know just so they can get some information out there.
    Looking at it from that perspective makes more sense. It's hard to remember that not everyone watching the broadcast is constantly breathing reds baseball from rookie ball to the bigs and every trade rumor real or completely fake.

Turn Off Ads?