Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Newest KSR blog on Kanter situation...

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=59955

The bolded part is a question I asked myself in this thread last night...
    I think the NCAA's likely to come to the same conclusion with or without Pete Thamel casting light on what has been alleged.

It's not an organization that traditionally cares what people think of it.

As for the source "claiming to be misquoted" I'm going to guess that happens to every reporter on almost every story. I forgot where I read it, but someone said that a journalists greatest skill is getting a source to disclose information that would probably be harmful if it came out.
    Now I don't know if the Asst. Coach realized it as soon as he said it, and asked for Thamel to not use it(he'd be under no obligation to honor that request) or if he said it, thought it would be okay and then saw how it looked in print and said he was misquoted or if he was in fact misquoted. But the fact that Thamell's been accused of misquoting a source on two stories, is no stranger than two seperate UK recruits being accused of improperly receiving benefits. In fact it's probably much less strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think the NCAA's likely to come to the same conclusion with or without Pete Thamel casting light on what has been alleged.

It's not an organization that traditionally cares what people think of it.

As for the source "claiming to be misquoted" I'm going to guess that happens to every reporter on almost every story. I forgot where I read it, but someone said that a journalists greatest skill is getting a source to disclose information that would probably be harmful if it came out.
    Now I don't know if the Asst. Coach realized it as soon as he said it, and asked for Thamel to not use it(he'd be under no obligation to honor that request) or if he said it, thought it would be okay and then saw how it looked in print and said he was misquoted or if he was in fact misquoted. But the fact that Thamell's been accused of misquoting a source on two stories, is no stranger than two seperate UK recruits being accused of improperly receiving benefits.
    Your arguments are getting worse and worse.

YOU FORGOT WHERE YOU READ IT. You should call Pete Thamel and ask to be a source on his next hatchet job.

In fact it's probably much less strange.
    It is? You figured that out how? You pulled it out of your own bias and state it like it's a fact when the truth is you have no clue whatsoever if that statement is true or not. Hehe, I'm beginning to see why you defend these journalism guys so passionately.
    Last edited by WMR; 09-09-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Hatchet job or not by Thamel, do people generally believe Kanter got paid by his Turkish squad or not?

And who is Adrian Wojnarowski's source?

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

"Some top INTL bball officials at USA practice validated on @PeteThamelNYT Kanter probe: "We've all known that kid's already a pro," one said"

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Hatchet job or not by Thamel, do people generally believe Kanter got paid by his Turkish squad or not?

And who is Adrian Wojnarowski's source?

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

"Some top INTL bball officials at USA practice validated on @PeteThamelNYT Kanter probe: "We've all known that kid's already a pro," one said"
    MM had a great point that touches on this: EVERYONE in the international basketball community has a HUGE vested interest in Enes Kanter not playing college basketball. Don't expect anyone to 'have his back' because he could bring a system to its knees that currently makes European teams a lot of cheddar.

How would Kanter bring anything to its knees? He wouldn't exactly be the first Euro to play college basketball. I don't see how Euro club basketball collapses if Kanter plays for Kentucky.

Does the NCAA then have the same motivation in the other direction? If so, that should help UK in this case.

Hey it's not all bad where the NYT is concerned...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...?ir=New%20York

How would Kanter bring anything to its knees? He wouldn't exactly be the first Euro to play college basketball. I don't see how Euro club basketball collapses if Kanter plays for Kentucky.

Does the NCAA then have the same motivation in the other direction? If so, that should help UK in this case.
    No.. It's just a sad case of denial here. Expect to see plenty more of it with Cal coaching his favorite team.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Hey it's not all bad where the NYT is concerned...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...?ir=New%20York
    I'm guessing you didn't read Thamel's article in print...

I'm guessing you didn't read Thamel's article in print...
    it will eventually have to be restructured and downsized (or sold to a deep-pocketed Sydney Harmon-type [sic] who runs it at a loss out of love)."
    Sounds like downsizing and restructuring is exactly what they need down there at the NYT.

Then again, I would guess their college sports department or whatever they call it got their website more college sport driven clicks in the past 48 hours than they've gotten in the past 2 months, so maybe they've got a shot after all.
    Last edited by WMR; 09-09-2010 at 02:18 PM.

I worked with a group looking to buy the Boston Globe from the Times a year or so ago (they decided not to sell). That is obviously a business well beyond being in trouble.

From MM's blog...

For me, the first thing to look at is motivations. It's absolutely clear as day that EVERYONE involved with International basketball is absolutely 100% opposed to Enes Kanter playing in the NCAA. It has nothing to do with any dislike for Kanter or the NCAA, it has to do with money. If the top talent in the international game were to stop signing contracts with international teams in favor of going to college for a year, those international teams would lose a LARGE pot of gold.... the amounts they are paid when those youngsters finally make it to the NBA. When international players are drafted into the NBA, the teams who hold their rights get a LOT of money to let them go to the NBA. If the youngsters go to college and never sign with the international teams, there IS NO contracts and that means no payday for these teams. Every person associated with International Basketball is going to do anything to make sure Kanter can't play NCAA basketball.
    Does the NCAA have a motivation here? Not really, IMO. They make the billions off of their TV deal whether Enes Kanter plays NCAA bball or not. Does it really matter to them if they get more international players into the NCAA? I don't see why it really would. Better international exposure for the NCAA I guess, but again not sure that matters much to them.
    Last edited by WMR; 09-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Eh, seems pretty weak to me given all the Euros already playing college basketball. I'm sure they'd rather he not play college basketball, but I doubt anyone other than the Turkish club itself is going to go out of its way to say or do anything to keep Kanter out if there is no legit reason for it.

Eh, seems pretty weak to me given all the Euros already playing college basketball. I'm sure they'd rather he not play college basketball, but I doubt anyone other than the Turkish club itself is going to go out of its way to say or do anything to keep Kanter out if there is no legit reason for it.
    Well, keep in mind that we're only really talking about the top-top echelon international players here.

You think these european clubs and officials want to make it easy--or even POSSIBLE, if they had their way--for the Ricky Rubios and Enes Kanters of the world to circumvent the system that pays them millions of dollars?

I'm sure they wouldn't be thrilled. But I also doubt this is some sort of conspiracy against Kanter.

If these guys say they think he got paid, the simplest (and most likely) explanation for those comments is that they think he got paid. (Obviously not as simple for the actual team involved as they really do have a huge and immediate motive to lie.)

Turn Off Ads?