7 12.28%
  • Fullerton

8 14.04%
  • UC Irvine

1 1.75%
  • Oregon State

10 17.54%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Will win the College World Series?

Re: Who Will win the College World Series?

The Oregon State Beavers will repeat as Champs because they have the strongest will to win.

Yes, that's not a stat, but it's a real element of sports.

If the opposing pitcher is giving up just one run, the Beavers pitchers will give up none.

If the opposing team is scoring 7 runs against the Beavers pitchers, the Beavers will find a way to score 8 runs.

They do whatever it takes to win.

The REDS lack these type of players. You've seen them before...Barry Larkin, Eric Davis, Chris Sabo, Tom Browning, Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr..

Edwin Encarnacion and Brandon Phillips looks like this type of player. Harang is, too. Weathers is.

Update: The Beavers have outhit Arizona State 17-2 through 6 innings. That's steppin' up.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 06-18-2007 at 11:07 PM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is it me or has the defense in this series been absolutely atrocious? Admittedly, I have only seen bits and pieces of maybe 3/4 of the games, but everytime I turn it on someone is making costly, costly physical or mental errors. Maybe someone who has watched more than I can comment on it. In the college game where no lead is safe, teams cannot afford to have so many defensive miscues. I have seen a few impressive defensive showings, but overall we see better defense in the Little League World Series in August...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Is it me or has the defense in this series been absolutely atrocious? Admittedly, I have only seen bits and pieces of maybe 3/4 of the games, but everytime I turn it on someone is making costly, costly physical or mental errors. Maybe someone who has watched more than I can comment on it. In the college game where no lead is safe, teams cannot afford to have so many defensive miscues. I have seen a few impressive defensive showings, but overall we see better defense in the Little League World Series in August...
    The Defense in college baseball usually leaves something to be desired. Teams typically put guys at SS who would normally play 3B or 1B in the pros. Lots of college catchers would also never get a sniff of being a catcher in professional baseball. But you've probably just caught a few bad games - I would say the defense usually isn't spectacular but it's not awful either.

And then there were three.

Oregon State eliminated Irvine tonight - bravo to UC though for making it that far.

The Beavers, who still haven't lost, will face the winner of UNC & Rice Thursday.

Really, really looking like my prediction of a UNC/Oregon State rematch could come true.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    The Defense in college baseball usually leaves something to be desired. Teams typically put guys at SS who would normally play 3B or 1B in the pros. Lots of college catchers would also never get a sniff of being a catcher in professional baseball. But you've probably just caught a few bad games - I would say the defense usually isn't spectacular but it's not awful either.
    I probably have just turned it on at the wrong times. I'm not expecting spectacular defense, but if these teams are the 8 best teams in college baseball I expect them to be solid defensively, and I have seen anything but solid. The plays that I have seen that have been botched have been routine plays, guys fielding grounders on their heels, overrunning flyballs, or throwing the ball around the infield. I wonder if college coaches these days are solely focusing on the hitting aspect of the game because these guys hit the snot out of the ball and simply ignore the defensive side? I've spent more time watching high school, D3, and D2 college ball, but the good high school and lower level college teams I watch are better fundamentally in the field than most of the guys in this series overall.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Well, I'm used to watching Oregon State who has the 2nd best Fielding Percentage in the nation, and it's one of the reasons why they're in their 3rd straight College World Series. Their defense has been nothing but spectacular the last 8 games except for the last out they tried to get against Fullerton the first game. They haven't been behind in a game in 53 innings.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Watching Game 1 between North Carolina and Oregon State, I found it very odd that both Barry Larkin and Orel Hershiser didn't know a basic baseball rule...."that a runner is safe if he crosses home plate before the ball gets back to a base where a runner had left too soon on a flyball/linedrive out where the batter caught leaving too early makes the last out of the inning."

Maybe they didn't read Baseball Digest's, "So, You Think You Know Baseball" very often.

OSU to repeat

...and the best team with the best pitching with the best hearts and the best chemistry wins again.

Congratulations Oregon State Beavers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    ...and the best team with the best pitching with the best hearts and the best chemistry wins again.

Congratulations Oregon State Beavers.
    They were outstanding this whole tournament and congratulations to them. They didn't have an easy path to repeat, either.

UNC had some breakdowns defensively in the series, but some of the catches, particularly by their OFers last night, were amazing.

How many times did the announcers compare Darwin Barney to Derek Jeter? I lost count. "He's a true leader, and all he does is hit and make plays..."

Derek Jeter II on the Cubs? Psshaw. I hope he goes back to Oregon St. for his senior year.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Finish 6th in the Pac 10 (with a 10-14 conference record), win the National Championship.

Bizarre.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I love watching College Baseball but I am far from a expert on it. Does anyone have any insight as to why Oregon State has suddenly become a powerhouse?? I understand that the USC's, Florida State, Texas, Miami etc all have had success in large part to their geographical location, so how does a team as far north as Oregon State all of a sudden become a powerhouse in the world of College Baseball?? Are the good high school players in the sunshine states suddenly looking to Oregon to play at the collegiate level??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I love watching College Baseball but I am far from a expert on it. Does anyone have any insight as to why Oregon State has suddenly become a powerhouse?? I understand that the USC's, Florida State, Texas, Miami etc all have had success in large part to their geographical location, so how does a team as far north as Oregon State all of a sudden become a powerhouse in the world of College Baseball?? Are the good high school players in the sunshine states suddenly looking to Oregon to play at the collegiate level??
    The fact that the University of Oregon doesn't have a baseball program at all certainly helps.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Pat Casey has just done an excellent rebuilding job. Oregon State Recruits heavily in California, and he's just lucked out the last couple of years with picking guys with big time talent like Kevin Gunderson & Mitch Canham. Casey has also really locked down the state of Oregon. I know Oregon has a good baseball talent base that before would be going elsewhere - and now they have a reason to stay home.

It just so happens to coincide with a period when the ACC is down and the Big 12 just isn't as powerful as they normally are. Being 6th in the Pac-10 isn't anything to shake a stick at - USC, UCLA, ASU, Arizona & Stanford are all baseball powerhouses with Washington certainly no lightweight.

But it definitely is a tad odd to have a College Baseball powerhouse in a cold weather climate. I love it personally, and think it's excellent for the sport.

Nebraska has had a big rebirth over the last couple of years - Creighton's been real close the last couple of seasons. Michigan is now on the cusp of being a big time team - the more competitive teams the better as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

But it definitely is a tad odd to have a College Baseball powerhouse in a cold weather climate. I love it personally, and think it's excellent for the sport.
    From what I understand the NCAA will not allow any team to start before March 1 next year. If I had to guess its going to make things more equal and not force the northern schools to cram so many games in such a short period of time, as opposed to the southern schools who have more days to work with because of the warm weather . No doubt it will be better for college baseball to balance out the field and not have the schools in the warm states win the title year in and year out.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?