Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 6/7

Birthdays: 6/7

Reds:

Roberto Petagine (41) -A case of the fans being way ahead of old-school baseball men. Anyone who had read even a little about sabermetrics could see that Roberto's walks and power compensated for his low batting average, but no one was really willing to give him a full chance. Instead he went to Japan and became a big star. How good was he really? I guess we'll never know.

Roger Nelson (68) -I knew as soon as I saw him that trading Hal McRae for this guy was a bad idea. Old-time scouts talk about a player having a "good face"- Nelson had a horrible face for a player. He didn't look like he could do anything more athletic than prepare your taxes for you.

Others:

Thurman Munson -The first Yankee captain since Gehrig, and the only Yankee to win both a ROY and an MVP.

Don Money (65) -Phillie third baseman before Schmidt. Hit the first HR in Veteran's Stadium. On April 10 of 1976, he hit a grand slam that was disallowed because the first base umpire had called time as the pitch was being delivered...Currently managing Nashville, I think...

Herb Score -Wild, fireballing lefty who dominated before the accident that you all know about. The first full-time starting pitcher to average more than a strikeout an inning. Later a longtime Indians broadcaster.

Hub Perdue -Mentioned here because of his wonderful nickname: "The Gallatin Squash".
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 6/7

When I was a young kid I would turn the radio dials at night and listen to a lot of different MLB teams during the summer. Herb Score of the Indians was one of those. He seemed pretty good at the time. He had easy way about him and how he called the game. He was about the only reason to listen to the Indians back then. They were usually horrible.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

If a pitcher named "Score" can have some success, does that leave hope for "Homer?" Or does his tragic accident serve as a warning about pitchers with "offensive" types of names

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    When I was a young kid I would turn the radio dials at night and listen to a lot of different MLB teams during the summer. Herb Score of the Indians was one of those. He seemed pretty good at the time. He had easy way about him and how he called the game. He was about the only reason to listen to the Indians back then. They were usually horrible.
    I live close to Cleveland and remember alot of summer nights listening to Herb Score also. I despise the Indians but he was a good broadcaster. Can't really say the same for Tom Hamilton. The guy makes me never want to listen to another ballgame.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    If a pitcher named "Score" can have some success, does that leave hope for "Homer?" Or does his tragic accident serve as a warning about pitchers with "offensive" types of names
    Bob Walk helped the Phillies win the World Series in 1980.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Touche

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Bob Walk helped the Phillies win the World Series in 1980.

The best name is a current pitcher named Josh Outman. You would think with a name like that he would be a Hall of Famer.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Herb Score -Wild, fireballing lefty who dominated before the accident that you all know about.
    I notice, chico, that in many of your entries over the past months (like the one above) you give the reader credit for knowing their baseball history. Frankly, I have my doubts that even a third of RedsZone readers/posters have any idea about Score's accident. Probably much less. Same way with the other times you extend your readers the courtesy of a 'I'm sure you all know about this incident so I won't repeat it here' comment.

Dont get me wrong, I love RedsZone. I've learned a lot here over the years but I get the feeling that the majority of posters are primarily interested in the here and now and have little or no interest in what happened 50 or 60 years ago. The average age in here I would guess to be about 30 and I think that has a lot to do with it.

I would be interested in anyone else's thoughts on my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    I notice, chico, that in many of your entries over the past months (like the one above) you give the reader credit for knowing their baseball history. Frankly, I have my doubts that even a third of RedsZone readers/posters have any idea about Score's accident. Probably much less. Same way with the other times you extend your readers the courtesy of a 'I'm sure you all know about this incident so I won't repeat it here' comment.

Dont get me wrong, I love RedsZone. I've learned a lot here over the years but I get the feeling that the majority of posters are primarily interested in the here and now and have little or no interest in what happened 50 or 60 years ago. The average age in here I would guess to be about 30 and I think that has a lot to do with it.

I would be interested in anyone else's thoughts on my point of view.
    I think you are right on the money with your comments Bob. I find that case on other sports boards as well. Not that much interest in the history of the game. Just the right now aspect of it. I think that's the way of society in general too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (06-08-2013)

Yeah, Bob, I never knew quite how to handle that when I was doing the birthday project. If a Redszoner had no interest in baseball history, he probably wasn't reading the birthday thread anyway. On the other hand, I'm sure you are right in that the Herb Score thing, for example, didn't resonate with a lot of the readers. I guess I decided that I would rather leave some stories left untold than risk boring others with stuff they already knew. So I compromised by using the "of course you all know about..." thing. That way, if readers in fact don't know about Herb Score's injury or whatever, they have some motivation to look it up for themselves.

And by the way, thanks guys for keeping these alive by refreshing them daily. I can't tell you how many of them I have no recollection of writing. Maybe next year we can all work together on adding new players, correcting the ages, etc...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

13. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (06-09-2013)

I personally like to see the old timers on here being mentioned. That is the problem with baseball right now. People forget the history and what really made the game what it is today.

We need to teach the young guys about the very game itself.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

15. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (06-09-2013)

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Thanks, guys, for the responses. Good points all.

Yeah, this second go-round of the birthdays ends in about a month and it would be great if some new replacement could be found. Go for it, chico!

Turn Off Ads?