Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are umpires ignoring instant replay?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Are umpires ignoring instant replay?

There have been multiple reviews around the league where umpires have been clearly wrong but held up their initial ruling despite it. This appears to have happened in the 9th of today's Reds game as well where Bernadina was called out despite the Pirates catcher appearing to violate the new plate blocking rule.

What's going on here, blue?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Are umpires ignoring instant replay?

Nope. They got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe. Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the Umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable.

I'm guessing, because the throw was right on the money, in front of the plate, blue considered the latter part of this rule to be in play.

I am also not sure that the catcher without the ball "blocked the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score."

Not sure Bernadina is considered "attempting to score" until he is actually crossing the plate.

The catcher here may have had the ball by the time Bernadina was actually crossing the plate.

As for whether the catcher had no alternative but to block the plate to make the out, it's arguable, not sure. But it would be sufficient reason.

So there are two reasons why the out call may have been upheld.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

If that play at the plate wasn't overturned today, what is the point of having that rule? Baserunners have no option there. I'm all for trying to make things safer, but if you're going to do it, you have to give the runner an opportunity.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

6. Likes:

cincyinco (04-16-2014),joshua (04-17-2014),Trajinous (04-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    If that play at the plate wasn't overturned today, what is the point of having that rule? Baserunners have no option there. I'm all for trying to make things safer, but if you're going to do it, you have to give the runner an opportunity.
    Good point, whatever they decided seems like a technical point. Just watching the play, the big picture seemed that the catcher blocked the plate. Period.

I'd like to hear what the umps and the league say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Nope. They got it right.
    Martin could have very easily caught the ball while standing a foot to his left, and not blocking the plate. Bench invented that, and most catchers use it. Watch Molina, he does it nearly every time.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-16-2014)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Martin could have very easily caught the ball while standing a foot to his left, and not blocking the plate. Bench invented that, and most catchers use it. Watch Molina, he does it nearly every time.
    That was my feeling too, he definitely had a few angles to work with pretty reasonably there.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Baserunners have no option there. I'm all for trying to make things safer, but if you're going to do it, you have to give the runner an opportunity.
    I have an answer to this. DO NOT run into an out at the plate. Your option is to stay at third base and hope the next hitter can cause you to score. How many times have we seen dumb plays at the plate (no, it is not aggressive) this year? They teach this crap in tee-ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    There have been multiple reviews around the league where umpires have been clearly wrong but held up their initial ruling despite it. This appears to have happened in the 9th of today's Reds game as well where Bernadina was called out despite the Pirates catcher appearing to violate the new plate blocking rule.

What's going on here, blue?
    The umpires on the field aren't the ones reviewing the plays, unlike in the NFL. Are you suggesting the guy in New York is telling them to overturn the call and the umpires on the field are too stubborn to change it?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The umpires on the field aren't the ones reviewing the plays, unlike in the NFL. Are you suggesting the guy in New York is telling them to overturn the call and the umpires on the field are too stubborn to change it?
    He could be suggesting that the umpires in New York are backing up the guys on the field in cases where it's a judgement call.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Nope. They got it right.
    He was camped out directly on the 3rd base line blocking the plate he easily could have fielded the ball leaving access to the plate. That is the entire point of the rule.

It's the first year. I think some of the rulling needs to be changed. This particular rule seems very grey to me. I think it would have been stupid for him to be safe on this play. But that being said if it's the rule it's the rule, but I think either way it needs to be clarrified more. To me I don't know how this ever gets called. I guess we will see. Just as when they started football instant replay they tweak stuff every year and it should only get better. They changed a play on the out call at first today and they got the call right. It went against the Reds, but you want to get the play right if you can. To be continued.

I honestly don't think anyone knows the rules. See all the "exchange" calls. No way you call Elliot Johnson's play a drop, not even by the rule book explanation. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

MLB will see that the catcher wasn't mowed down therefore the new rule is working. I'm glad this wasn't an important run but still baffling. The umps need to clear up their decisions and what the call is. Most of the time they just walk back and us, viewers, are left guessing what the call is til the scoreboard's updated/another batters up. NFL explains their decision, why doesn't MLB?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He could be suggesting that the umpires in New York are backing up the guys on the field in cases where it's a judgement call.
    Yeah, why slow down the game with replay if we're stuck with the same Band of Brothers mentality.

Turn Off Ads?