Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Everything you said about UC is also true of Pitt. The only difference is that Pitt plays their games at the NFL facility whereas UC does not -- and that's something UC could choose do at any time if the situation was right.
    Obviously I don't know as much about Pitt as I do about UC. Its true that UC could use PBS but I don't like it when they do. It takes away from their unique environment. I did post above they every Big 10 team takes in a minimum of $22M from football revenues and then add on the Big 10 Network revenue. If UC does get an invitation they would be foolish not to accept it. I also think that if they do get an invitation it would be a requirement that Nippert gets a face lift, luxury boxes, and increased seating capacity.

As for Northwestern they defiantly aren't in Chicago. It is close but when I was there last year it had a college town feel and was almost out in the forbidden "burbs".

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't think OSU would throw that big of a fit if UC joined the Big 10. I don't want to start a debate, but until UC steals a big time prospect from OSU I don't worry about UC. UC just can't compete with the athletic department and facilities that OSU has.

I think UC would have some obstacles to overcome in order to join the Big Ten. The first would be facilities. They are improving that but I don't think Nippert would cut it. It would have to be a 45K+ seat stadium. They also are located in a metro area, cant really say that about the other schools. OSU is close to Columbus, but it has so much land that it really doesn't matter.

I don't think they would throw a fit but I think they just wouldn't want them in there. A little too close for comfort. They would have to play them in football every year and probably twice a year in basketball. They don't want to play them in basketball once in 50 years, what makes you think they would want to play them twice a year every year?

You have a point about the facilities. Even Ryan Field in Evanston has 47K seats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think they would throw a fit but I think they just wouldn't want them in there. A little too close for comfort. They would have to play them in football every year and probably twice a year in basketball. They don't want to play them in basketball once in 50 years, what makes you think they would want to play them twice a year every year?

You have a point about the facilities. Even Ryan Field in Evanston has 47K seats.
    I think football is the big deal. In the Big 10 football is the cash cow and will always be the cash cow. I do agree with you that OSU may not want to play UC every year in football, but I don't think they care a whole lot about basketball. I don't really know why OSU and UC haven't played in basketball, I think that is more of a fan issue than anything else.

I think Nippert would have to get to Ryan Field size to work in the Big 10. And if they do get asked to join it shouldn't be a problem renovating Nippert.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Obviously I don't know as much about Pitt as I do about UC. Its true that UC could use PBS but I don't like it when they do. It takes away from their unique environment. I did post above they every Big 10 team takes in a minimum of $22M from football revenues and then add on the Big 10 Network revenue. If UC does get an invitation they would be foolish not to accept it. I also think that if they do get an invitation it would be a requirement that Nippert gets a face lift, luxury boxes, and increased seating capacity.

As for Northwestern they defiantly aren't in Chicago. It is close but when I was there last year it had a college town feel and was almost out in the forbidden "burbs".
    I think it would probably be easier to negotiate something with Mike Brown to play at PBS as opposed to renovating Nippert. If that was all that was holding Cincinnati back from moving to the Big 10, it really isn't much.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Everything you said about UC is also true of Pitt. The only difference is that Pitt plays their games at the NFL facility whereas UC does not -- and that's something UC could choose do at any time if the situation was right.
    Pitt also brought in 20M in football revenue last year compared to UC's 11M.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Pitt also brought in 20M in football revenue last year compared to UC's 11M.
    Amazing what 20k extra tickets to sell and premium seating options will do. It's the benefit of playing in a pro-facility. Of course, along with your extra revenue comes the loss of a "college" atmosphere that comes from an on-campus facility and the sense that you're just sharing space with the pro guys in town.

I'm sure USF loves playing football games with a giant pirate ship in the background.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    A couple years ago, as Miami was doing some facilities upgrades, I was hearing some Big 10 talk in Oxford from some folks "in the know." But that seems like a pipe dream at best. They would still have to spend a boatload of money on personnel and facilities. They need a new arena desperately.
    Forget about athletic facilities, I don't think Miami could magically invent a top notch graduate program, a law school and a med school in the next few years. As much as Miami grads like to talk about "The Harvard of the Midwest," Miami just doesn't have the chops as a research university to meet the wishes of the presidents of the current Big 10 universities. That, and if they can't dominate the MAC, what makes anyone think they'd do anything in the Big 10 but make Indiana look better at football?

Someone mentioned Temple before, but again that's another school that just doesn't make the grade. Right now they're competing in the MAC in football and, although they made it to a bowl game this year, their performance in the MAC has hardly been dominant. You'd make a better argument for Central Michigan from the MAC.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Forget about athletic facilities, I don't think Miami could magically invent a top notch graduate program, a law school and a med school in the next few years. As much as Miami grads like to talk about "The Harvard of the Midwest," Miami just doesn't have the chops as a research university to meet the wishes of the presidents of the current Big 10 universities. That, and if they can't dominate the MAC, what makes anyone think they'd do anything in the Big 10 but make Indiana look better at football? Someone mentioned Temple before, but again that's another school that just doesn't make the grade. Right now they're competing in the MAC in football and, although they made it to a bowl game this year, their performance in the MAC has hardly been dominant. You'd make a better argument for Central Michigan from the MAC.
    Having a law and med school is a prereq for being in the Big 10? Better tell Purdue.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Having a law and med school is a prereq for being in the Big 10? Better tell Purdue.

I don't think it's a prereq but when they go looking for new members, they are probably wanting someone who is similar to them. Of course beggars can't be choosers.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Amazing what 20k extra tickets to sell and premium seating options will do. It's the benefit of playing in a pro-facility. Of course, along with your extra revenue comes the loss of a "college" atmosphere that comes from an on-campus facility and the sense that you're just sharing space with the pro guys in town. I'm sure USF loves playing football games with a giant pirate ship in the background.
    Maybe, but USF's lowest attendance number for a game the last 2 years was 3k more than the capacity at Nippert.

Purdue is in because it has been in since the early days of the Big 10. It doesn't hurt that it has a top notch grad school, even if it lacks a law school and a med school. Purdue certainly has the credibility of a research institution that Miami lacks.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Purdue is in because it has been in since the early days of the Big 10. It doesn't hurt that it has a top notch grad school, even if it lacks a law school and a med school. Purdue certainly has the credibility of a research institution that Miami lacks.
    No question.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think it's a prereq but when they go looking for new members, they are probably wanting someone who is similar to them. Of course beggars can't be choosers.
    True. Miami's chances of getting an invite to the Big 10+2 are less than zilch nonetheless.

Mizzou to the Big 10. TCU to the Big 12. Boise State to the MWC.

This makes sense for all the teams and conferences involved and not just geographically. Mizzou fits the Big 10 persona. TCU rejoins some of its former Southwest Conference counterparts and Boise State escapes the WAC. Maybe most importantly, it avoids much of the residual impact that the ACC caused a few years ago.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-16-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Don't bag on Iowa State so much. They are an outstanding research institution. Yes they would be a bottom feeder in some sports. But their facilities are good, and when they have had the coaches they win. The currently have the best Wrestling program in the Big 12.
    Sorry, but the best wrestling program in the Big 12 is Oklahoma State.

Turn Off Ads?