Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 MLB Draft order with Bonus pool numbers

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: 2013 MLB Draft order with Bonus pool numbers

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Ryan Boldt with the 38th supplemental pick?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...edium=facebook

Baseball America's Jim Callis reports that Ryan Boldt, a high school outfielder from Red Wing, Minn., will undergo arthroscopic surgery to repair a slight tear in his meniscus. Boldt was a potential first-round pick, and Callis feels that even with the injury he will still go "pretty high" because he was so good last summer (Twitter links).
    ESPN's Keith Law feels that Boldt's injury could drop him out of the first round and may ultimately lead Boldt to honor his commitment to Nebraska rather than sign out of high school (Twitter link). Law ranked Boldt as the 13th best prospect (Insider required) in this year's class in mid-April.
    I love the idea of Boldt with the supplemental pick. I want upside in the draft and getting a guy who would be a mid-first round grade if not for an injury in the supplemental round would be perfect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    JP Crawford, Austin Wilson, Jon Denney, and Trey Ball are all guys who are not consensus Top 5 (and therefore could feasibly fall to the Reds) who I'd be very happy with. Anybody have anyone specific they like or don't like in this draft? We're less than a month away.

Colin Moran and Hunter Renfroe are interesting as well, although unlikely to fall out of the top 20.
    Beni, I like your list. I would also add Devin Williams, Hunter Harvey and Chris Anderson to the mix. I love upside. I don't want to hear proximity to the majors as the major reason for this pick. I want a guy who could be a star in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Beni, I like your list. I would also add Devin Williams, Hunter Harvey and Chris Anderson to the mix. I love upside. I don't want to hear proximity to the majors as the major reason for this pick. I want a guy who could be a star in the first.
    Totally agree.

The only position that remotely makes sense to draft for proximity at this point is SS, and I would argue 1. Don't draft for need and 2. There are no great college SS in this draft.

We don't have immediate needs (organizational or otherwise) at any other positions that would necessitate us drafting for proximity to majors, and even if we did I go for upside over polish everyday of the week. Give me more Robert Stephensons and Jesse Winkers and less Mike Leakes and Ryan LaMarres.
    Go BLUE!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think the pick will be Marco Gonzales.

Looks how the Braves got Heyward is how some lucky teams are going to get Meadows and Frazier. Braves got Heyward so low due to teams not even pitching to him.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Looks how the Braves got Heyward is how some lucky teams are going to get Meadows and Frazier. Braves got Heyward so low due to teams not even pitching to him.
    I wanted Heyward so badly in the Mesoraco draft. We were one spot away!!!!
    Reminiscent of this year's draft when Courtney Hawkins, a similar player that I also wanted, went the pick before us.
    Also in both of those drafts, we passed on the other guy I wanted - the consensus best pitcher in the draft (Rick Porcello and Lucas Gioloto)

(No way were the Braves going to let the local product slide by them though)
    Go BLUE!!!

Kyle Serrano anyone?

From Baseball America's mock draft: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...ock-draft-1-0/

27. REDS: Tennessee high school righthander Kyle Serrano will be difficult to sign away from a commitment to play for his father Dave at the University of Tennessee, but Cincinnati is one of the clubs most determined to try. If the Reds strike out there, they could pursue Tim Anderson.

PROJECTED PICK: KYLE SERRANO.
    http://sbb.scout.com/2/1288174.html

One thing that bothers me with the MLb draft is unlike with the NBA and NFL draft, MLB is all about what are you doing lately. For example, I dont see how you frown upon Austin Meadows or Clint Frazier after 80 high school at bats. It seems like the NFL and NBA take into account what you did for 4 years along with Senior Bowl and Combine unless you played at Kentucky . I dont see how MLB teams forget so quickly how Meadows was knocking the cover off the ball with Team USA. They did this last year with Addison Russell and David Dahl.

If its such a bad draft why not just go with your gut feeling on players from early January ?
    Last edited by 19braves77; 05-10-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Kyle Serrano anyone?
    Late-rising high-school arm, like Stephenson and Travieso were, so it fits a pattern for their late first rounders these days.

He's got a bizarre delivery from the windup -- kind of a half-stretch. Not a big deal. Otherwise, he's very smooth and the breaking ball looks strong..

Funny thing, I think Mark Serrano, released by the Reds this spring, is Kyle's brother.

CNNSI First-round mock draft:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...1_a3&eref=sihp

CNNSI has the Reds selecting Aaron Judge.

Scouting report plus video:

http://www.coast2coastprospects.com/aaron-judge.html
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-10-2013 at 10:56 AM.

A list of scouting reports from Coast2CoastProspects, including some of the above-mentioned names.

http://www.coast2coastprospects.com/...g-reports.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I think the pick will be Marco Gonzales.
    I've heard the Reds like him a lot but I hope that's wrong. I don't like polish in the first round. I like upside. Gonzales seems to me a bit like Alex White or Tyler Anderson. If they're going to draft an arm, I'd rather see another arm like Stephenson or Homer Bailey.

That CNNSI mock draft has JP Crawford, Austin Wilson and Tim Anderson still on the board. Interesting.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I've heard the Reds like him a lot but I hope that's wrong. I don't like polish in the first round. I like upside. Gonzales seems to me a bit like Alex White or Tyler Anderson. If they're going to draft an arm, I'd rather see another arm like Stephenson or Homer Bailey.

That CNNSI mock draft has JP Crawford, Austin Wilson and Tim Anderson still on the board. Interesting.
    Completely agree. I would be very disappointed with a Gonzales pick in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Late-rising high-school arm, like Stephenson and Travieso were, so it fits a pattern for their late first rounders these days.

He's got a bizarre delivery from the windup -- kind of a half-stretch. Not a big deal. Otherwise, he's very smooth and the breaking ball looks strong..

Funny thing, I think Mark Serrano, released by the Reds this spring, is Kyle's brother.
    Hopefully the Reds ended Mark's tenure with the Reds on a good note so that Kyle would give the Reds a chance to sign him. Kyle Serrano is the kind of kid I want the Reds to target. I don't mind BA's other option, though. Tim Anderson may be a bit of a reach at #27, but I like the idea of a shortstop who has a decent chance of sticking at the position and hitting in the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    CNNSI First-round mock draft:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...1_a3&eref=sihp

CNNSI has the Reds selecting Aaron Judge.

Scouting report plus video:

http://www.coast2coastprospects.com/aaron-judge.html
    Judge qualifies as a high upside prospect. He does seem to have more red flags than other late first round prospects, though. I think I will have other guys ranked higher than him left on my board if he happens to fall to the Reds at #27. Wouldn't hate this pick, though.

Turn Off Ads?