Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate display of sportsmanship

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Ultimate display of sportsmanship

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/colum...t&lid=tab5pos1

Kids, there's a lesson to be learned here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ultimate display of sportsmanship

That's a beautiful thing.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Brought a tear to my eye.

That's a pretty cool thing to do, I would hope that most athletes would have done the same thing.

I do kind of wonder why she didn't just crawl or limp around the bases.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

...And thats why girls shouldn't play baseball. A guy wouldn't have let that extra run score. You'll never win if you just give the other team runs./sarcasm

All kidding aside, that is an oustanding display of sportsmanship and charcter. That is how people are suppose to act. It puts things in proper perspective. How many people would have just sat there and not said a word. They would've probably felt bad for the girl if they knew about what it meant to her, but they wouldn't have said anything. I doubt the girl even knew it was her first career homer. She might have suspected, but she asked anyway. Kudos for her.

Man, I had goose bumps all over after reading that.

If I was at that game there is no doubt that I would have had tears in my eyes for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    That's a pretty cool thing to do, I would hope that most athletes would have done the same thing.

I do kind of wonder why she didn't just crawl or limp around the bases.
    I tore my ACL back in November and I can relate on why the girl may not have wanted to limp around the bases. The instant my ACL tore I knew something was horribly wrong and I had no idea what exactly happened. After I got done yelling a few seconds I did not want to move my hurt knee because I had never been hurt before and did not know if I could hurt it more if I tried to limp around.

Now that I am able to look back on things I could have easily got up and limped back to the bench/car with help. I don't think the girls who helped her needed to carry her, she did not know that at the time of the injury.

Thanks for sharing this!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    Man, I had goose bumps all over after reading that.

If I was at that game there is no doubt that I would have had tears in my eyes for sure.

I couldn't imagine what the parents would be thinking if they were there. I really hope they were. If there isn't a movie that comes out of this I will be suprised. It has practically written itself. Kind of a Rudy for softball. A girl who is told she is too small makes a college team and struggles for playing time. She finally gets some and hits a home run in one of her final games as a college player and then this happens. Her team is in the playoff hunt even, and playing against the other team vying for the top spot. What a great story that would be. In the end, her run ended up being the winning run even. 4-3, that run made the difference. The more I think about the story, the more I enjoy the fact that actual people can be that good at heart.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Wow, what a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing that here. I definitely had tears in my eyes reading it too.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I tore my ACL back in November and I can relate on why the girl may not have wanted to limp around the bases. The instant my ACL tore I knew something was horribly wrong and I had no idea what exactly happened. After I got done yelling a few seconds I did not want to move my hurt knee because I had never been hurt before and did not know if I could hurt it more if I tried to limp around.

Now that I am able to look back on things I could have easily got up and limped back to the bench/car with help. I don't think the girls who helped her needed to carry her, she did not know that at the time of the injury.
    I tore my ACL in high school during a basketball game, but I had so much adrenaline going that I tried to get up and play. So do I understand the pain, I've never felt anything else quite like it in my whole life, before or after. I was just saying that if it came down to losing the home run because of not being able to get around the bases I think I'd have found a way to get around those bases. I think most would have. But that doesn't take away from the fantastic display of sportsmanship by the other team.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

That's so crazy she injured herself on her first and only home run. I'm wondering why she couldn't have a pinch runner and then be credited with a HR instead of a single.

But that's an outstanding story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Sometimes there are things more important in a game than winning it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

When all is said and done more is said than done.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

This story gives you hope. Very classy.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?