Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Why do you say that? Any quotes from Baker that would suggest that. I doubt any of the Reds brass cared for the fact that he came to spring training out shape and overweight.
    Yea, Dusty ripped Francisco on the record for not rehabbing properly. I read that and said "he's a short-timer." I didn't know what to make of JF, but I did not have very much confidence in him assuming the every day job. Obviously, neither did the Reds.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thought for sure this was an AF joke... since its not, I like it. I was ready to dump Francisco. Frazier will do big things up here, IMO. Its just an added bonus that we actually got a decent prospect in Hoover.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I like selling high on Fransisco and opening up a spot for Frazier, but I'm always wary of trading for a Braves pitcher. I think Fransisco will have a nice little major league career along the lines of a Marcus Thames. He'll hit for power and start from time to time, but he'll never get on base enough to be a regular.
    Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yea, Dusty ripped Francisco on the record for not rehabbing properly. I read that and said "he's a short-timer." I didn't know what to make of JF, but I did not have very much confidence in him assuming the every day job. Obviously, neither did the Reds.
    My problem with Francisco, like Dusty, if what you attributed to him is correct, is that he didn't rehab properly with a real shot at making the big league club this season. With his body type, and attitude toward conditioning, injuries would seem to be even more a problem going forward as he ages. I also saw Francisco play in Indy several times and he seemed to be "big leaguing" it. Very disengaged, going through the motions, not attentive in the field, and an overall bad attitude. I have a hard time rewarding that.

I like selling high on Fransisco and opening up a spot for Frazier, but I'm always wary of trading for a Braves pitcher. I think Fransisco will have a nice little major league career along the lines of a Marcus Thames. He'll hit for power and start from time to time, but he'll never get on base enough to be a regular.
    I'm always afraid of Braves pitchers since we've always gotten screwed.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I like the trade. JF looked like a player with tantalizing power that would frustrate and in the end break your heart. A series of events...nagging injuries, reporting overweight, little progress in addressing deficiencies known to exist for several years, and an inability to option him...made a trade likely. The Braves have an urgent need to back and then replace Chipper at 3rd. The pieces fell into place and produced a better return for the Reds than might otherwise have been expected.

I assumed that as Hoover was assigned to Louisville that he is not on the 40 man roster.

Limited tools, questionable durability and a small window to climb through on the current club. Any arm is a gamble, any Brave give away is as well, but it's a good fit, Braves have a power hole and an injured 3rd baseman, chances are the arm is not a pure throw away. Both teams had needs to fill, the Reds needed a slot to open and the Braves needed a body that was ready.

Nice trade for both sides IMO.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

There ya go. Welcome to the Redlegs Todd Frazier. I had a feeling this was going to happen. It was quite clear the Dusty was pretty ticked by the way Juan came into camp. And with Todd raking, more versitile and stuff...makes a ton of sense. The only downside is that we're short a lefty again.

Plus we get an arm. Best of luck to you Juan.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I don't think this is an isolated move...I think it says something more about Bailey and or Leake.
    I don't. I think it says they were ticked with Juan and this frees up the slot for Todd who they're higher on right now.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Here is a fun question.... which number is higher this season for Juan Francisco in the Majors: Walks or home runs?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Other than versatility, I don't understand all the love for Frazier. He has never hit for high average at any level. Nor is he a pure power hitter. He's a utility guy at best.

On the surface I like this move. Frazier is a better option at 3rd and this seems to seal his place on the 25 man. Best wishes to Francisco.

It's been commented today that the Reds are selling LOW on Francisco. Out of shape, injured, underwheliming spring. I don't see how they are selling high on him.

Maybe if they traded him in the off-season after his unbelievable play at third base last year and his 500 foot homer, maybe then it would be selling high.

As for Frazier, I just don't see any major league baseball team being as right handed as the Reds may now be. Votto, Bruce and 11 right handed hitters is bizarre and I still don't think it will happen.

If it does happen, the Reds will pay a price for the lack of balance. But I guess we'll know soon enough.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I don't. I think it says they were ticked with Juan and this frees up the slot for Todd who they're higher on right now.
    Exactly. Plus, the Reds probably got a better player in return than they originally thought was possible.

Turn Off Ads?