Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should the Reds rein in Billy Hamilton?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Should the Reds rein in Billy Hamilton?

AP averaged 19 carries the first 8 games of the season. The second 8 he averaged 25. They did rein him in. They limited his usage a little bit in the hopes of keeping him a little more healthy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the 'rein him in'/'don't rein him in' debate using Rose, Harper, Adrian Peterson, Nolan Ryan or whomever is misplaced.

Why? Because outlier or not, these are all anecdotes. Putting it a different way the decision to 'rein in' a promising player in any sport is multivariate; has to be based on several factors with examples supporting or debunking any decision always available. This is why Managers, GMs and coaches get the jobs. None of them get everyone to agree with their moves and that's not the goal. Goal is to win and you do that by building great organizations and then positioning teams to win. None of us have a clue how 'durable' BH will prove to be. But safe to say Riggleman, Dusty and Jocketty are getting more informed by the day.

Personally, I don't so much see the point of Hamilton going for the minor league SB record. Not because he'd get hurt but, rather, because job 1 has to be his hitting and pitch selection to drive OBP.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Nope, let him learn all he can.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    I think the 'rein him in'/'don't rein him in' debate using Rose, Harper, Adrian Peterson, Nolan Ryan or whomever is misplaced.

Why? Because outlier or not, these are all anecdotes. Putting it a different way the decision to 'rein in' a promising player in any sport is multivariate; has to be based on several factors with examples supporting or debunking any decision always available. This is why Managers, GMs and coaches get the jobs. None of them get everyone to agree with their moves and that's not the goal. Goal is to win and you do that by building great organizations and then positioning teams to win. None of us have a clue how 'durable' BH will prove to be. But safe to say Riggleman, Dusty and Jocketty are getting more informed by the day.

Personally, I don't so much see the point of Hamilton going for the minor league SB record. Not because he'd get hurt but, rather, because job 1 has to be his hitting and pitch selection to drive OBP.
    Well, he doesn't need to worry about going for the professional baseball stolen base record this year because he already owns it. I think he went balls-to-the-wall last year with the intention of breaking that record. However, I think this season is different. Not only does he have the record, but I think he knows this year is more about him learning to play center and continuing to evolve/improve as a hitter. And of course the steals will come in bunches naturally, but I don't think you have to worry about him trying to top 155 steals this year. Just isn't going to happen and I'm sure he knows it.

Turn Off Ads?