Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Ten Bowl Matchups

Big Ten Bowl Matchups

I'm an OSU fan so I obviously want the B10 to do well but this isn't looking too promising.

OSU vs Texas
    PSU vs USC
    MSU vs UGA
    Iowa vs South Carolina
    Northwestern vs Mizzou
    Minny vs Kansas

Hopefully it turns out better on the field than it looks on paper. In 1998 the B10 went 5-0 in its Bowl games, this year could realistically be an 0fer. I'd say 2-4 at best on first glance.

Ouch.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Big Ten Bowl Matchups

I agree that an 0-fer is a distinct possibility. It'll be interesting to see if oddsmakers favor any of the Big 10 teams in their games.

2009 is not really the year I wanted to see the Buckeyes play a rubber game against the Longhorns.
    /r/reds

It doesn't look good does it.

Texas, IMHO, will destroy us. OSU's Big 10 defense is not good enough vs Texas' Big 12 offense. Tressell, being Tressell, will emphasis their strength (running game), ball control, field position, clock management, and try to keep it a low scoring affair to give his team a chance. That may work for the first half, but not an entire game. McCoy (QB Rating 179, 3445 Yds passing, 32 TDs) will have a huge 2nd half simply because our offense won't keep our defense off the field. They'll wear us down. IMO, it won't be pretty.

USC vs Penn State? The West Coast is the Bermuda Triangle for Big 10 teams. I really don't know how good USC is because the PAC-10 is so down this year. But I could still foresee USC coming away with at least a 10 pt win here.

MSU vs Georgia? MSU was destroyed by OSU and PSU. Georgia was somewhat of a disappointment when one looks at their pre-season ranking; but two of their three losses came at the hands of elite teams (Alabama, Florida). And Georgia Tech, their other loss, is a good program. QB Stafford will have no problem with MSU's pass defense.

Iowa vs S. Carolina? I like Iowa. We may get our lone win, which would give us a 1-1 record in bowl games vs the SEC.

Northwestern vs Missouri? Chase Daniels vs Northwestern's pass defense? Nuff said.

Minnesota vs Kansas? Kansas
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think they'll win one or two, but no more. I really believe the Big Ten is on it's way up right now, but it's a couple of years away.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It doesn't look good does it.

Texas, IMHO, will destroy us. OSU's Big 10 defense is not good enough vs Texas' Big 12 offense. Tressell, being Tressell, will emphasis their strength (running game), ball control, field position, clock management, and try to keep it a low scoring affair to give his team a chance. That may work for the first half, but not an entire game. McCoy (QB Rating 179, 3445 Yds passing, 32 TDs) will have a huge 2nd half simply because our offense won't keep our defense off the field. They'll wear us down. IMO, it won't be pretty.

I think a properly coached OSU defense would be fine, it would be the first defense with a pulse that Texas has seen all year. The problem is Heacock and his famous rush 3 drop 8 Chris Leak defense. He will allow McCoy to absolutely pick us apart.

Offensively unless Pryor evolves dramtically during the bowl practices we are screwed. It takes about 30 seconds of watching game film to see we are no threat passing the ball.

The only positives I see are 1) Texas having a bad letdown after missing out on the NC game 2) JT used to be good at getting them ready for a big Bowl game, maybe he's due to find the magic again 3) B12 teams often look like juggernauts untill they play someone who is dedicated to playing an ounce of defense and is physical, if Heacock will be aggressive we fit the bill on both counts.

Bottom line to me is if we use the same gameplan as the past 3 big games (UF, LSU, USC) we will get the same result. If Tress and his staff are tired of getting humiliated and come out swinging we have the athletes to play with anyone.

Wisconsin is playing Florida State in the Champs Sports Bowl as well. I see that as a toss up game unless FSU decides to go shoe shopping.
    Last edited by guttle11; 12-07-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    I think a properly coached OSU defense would be fine, it would be the first defense with a pulse that Texas has seen all year. The problem is Heacock and his famous rush 3 drop 8 Chris Leak defense. He will allow McCoy to absolutely pick us apart.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks OSU's defense is very poorly schemed. They're designed to stop Big Ten offense, but aren't capable of adapting to anything else (that is unless they're just freakishly talented like the AJ Hawk senior year D. Oh man, was that defense outstanding).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Northwestern v. Missouri might be the biggest mismatch of the bowl season. Northwestern is one of the worst 9-3 teams I have ever seen come from the Big Ten...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Northwestern v. Missouri might be the biggest mismatch of the bowl season. Northwestern is one of the worst 9-3 teams I have ever seen come from the Big Ten...
    Yeah, that one could get ugly. But Mizzou's efense is missing the D. That conference as a whole just doesn't play D at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks OSU's defense is very poorly schemed. They're designed to stop Big Ten offense, but aren't capable of adapting to anything else (that is unless they're just freakishly talented like the AJ Hawk senior year D. Oh man, was that defense outstanding).
    Its not that they aren't designed to stop the spread, its that lately they cannot control the LOS. In 2002 OSU had a dominant DL and could rush 3 or 4 and still get a pass rush. OSU hasn't been able to that lately and the current DC seems to be content getting dinked and dunked to death instead of going down fighting and sending some blitzes.

The spread has been in the B10 since 1999, its not new to OSU and in theory if you have an extremely athletic back 7 who are very good at tackling in space I agree with keeping everything in front of you and making the offense work a long field. Chances are they will mess something up and can't consistently drive and score. That all goes out the window if your DL is getting worked and this has been OSU's issue since the 2005 team.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Agreed, this looks similar to the "game" thay had with Nebraska a few years back when they were still good. This could be brutal and Mizzou isn't known for calling off the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Agreed. We need to be more aggressive. If we sit back and don't blitz, McCoy will kill us. If we apply some pressure, we have more than a fighting chance. I like our chances moving the ball on them, as crazy as that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Its not that they aren't designed to stop the spread, its that lately they cannot control the LOS. In 2002 OSU had a dominant DL and could rush 3 or 4 and still get a pass rush. OSU hasn't been able to that lately and the current DC seems to be content getting dinked and dunked to death instead of going down fighting and sending some blitzes.

The spread has been in the B10 since 1999, its not new to OSU and in theory if you have an extremely athletic back 7 who are very good at tackling in space I agree with keeping everything in front of you and making the offense work a long field. Chances are they will mess something up and can't consistently drive and score. That all goes out the window if your DL is getting worked and this has been OSU's issue since the 2005 team.

Agreed, this looks similar to the "game" thay had with Nebraska a few years back when they were still good. This could be brutal and Mizzou isn't known for calling off the dogs.
    OSU has shut down the spread in the past. Heck, they tore a few teams up before the BCS National Championship disasters. Weren't Kansas State and Oklahoma St. both spread style offenses when OSU beat them? Just please blitz and toss in some man coverage. Oh, and find out what a play action pass is and introduce T. Pryor to the tight ends.

The second team in the BCS really hurts the Big 11 again this year.

Imagine say Boise State got the final BCS at large spot.

Penn State vs. USC
    tOSU vs. UGA
    Wisconsin VS South Carolina
    tMSU vs Florida State
    Iowa vs. Mizzou
    Northwestern vs. Kansas
    Minnesota vs. Central Michigan?

I'd feel a lot better about those matchups. Of course as IU profits from the rest of the Big Ten, I'm all about two BCS pay days. Thanks guys, the practice facilities are coming along quite nicely.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 12-08-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: I was wrong, it's CMU in the Motor City Bowl this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    OSU has shut down the spread in the past. Heck, they tore a few teams up before the BCS National Championship disasters. Weren't Kansas State and Oklahoma St. both spread style offenses when OSU beat them? Just please blitz and toss in some man coverage. Oh, and find out what a play action pass is and introduce T. Pryor to the tight ends.

Yes, that's my point, OSU has faced the spread and defended it well many times. The problem the past couple of years has been recruiting/development of DL talent and poor defensive scheme imo. The slow plodding B10 defense that has never seen the spread offense bunk is just a media soundbyte that casual fans take as scripture.

If we take another big game curb stomping I think Heacock and Bollman need to go. There is no coach in America I want running the show at OSU more than Jim Tressel but no one is perfect, I think they need some new blood on the staff.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I saw last night that tOSU is 3-0 at the Fiesta Bowl. I have no clue if that means anything or not for this year but the guys seem to play well in Arizona so it could be a good game for them.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?