Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-20-2012 Reds vs Cubs

Re: 4-20-2012 Reds vs Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The Cubs have been smoking the ball all over the place. Homer's lucky the wind is blowing in or his stat line would look a lot worse than this. He's got a great, live arm, but doesn't have much of a clue how to "pitch."
    Another way to look at this is that the pitcher is aware that the wind will keep the ball in play so you are free to attack the plate, get the ball over, and trust the defense to make plays if the ball is hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I get that the Castro ball was hit hard, but the defense for the Reds has be uncharacteristically sloppy.

I don't get the Homer frustration today... It's nit picking IMO. In the 1st he broke 2 bats and had a K and pitched around an error. In the 2nd, he sat the Cubs down quickly. Now an error leads to Cubs runs. He hasn't be Halladay, but his teammates gloves haven't exactly been up to par.
    I don't think it's nit picking, with all due respect. I think he's getting lucky today. But luck or no luck, I'll take it, he's doing well enough. On a day like today maybe this is his philosophy, make them hit it, even if they do crush it, because it probably won't go far.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Another way to look at this is that the pitcher is aware that the wind will keep the ball in play so you are free to attack the plate, get the ball over, and trust the defense to make plays if the ball is hit.
    Absolutely right. In fairness to Homer, that's a great point.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Something happened, and the Cowboy got all flustered. You'd think he would have improved his play-by-play by now...but he hasn't.
    He's just awful. I can't listen to him anymore. I'd be better off by turning the radio off and guessing what will happen than hearing him explain the plays.

As for Stubbs, I like what's going on right now. I'm not criticizing, but how'd he not get a triple on that? It did look like he was grimacing on 3rd base in the first inning after his SB. Hope he didn't pull anything.

I would think this is the norm for anyone pitching at Wrigley. Nice to see us get the 2 runs back.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I agree. I'm not going to fault Homer for actually throwing strikes today under the Wrigley conditions. I think he's only gone to a 3-ball count once.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The Cubs have been smoking the ball all over the place. Homer's lucky the wind is blowing in or his stat line would look a lot worse than this. He's got a great, live arm, but doesn't have much of a clue how to "pitch."
    The wind is blowing in at like 25 MPH. You think the pitchers don't know that and are just trying to pump the zone and get fly balls? I am not one who puts much into pitching to the score, but you can pitch to the weather. Hard contact today isn't likely to turn into much because the wind is going to kill the ball. Castro probably hits that ball 425 feet on a normal day. Today it went about 350. The pitchers know it and are pitching to it.

Just tuned in. Looks like Homer's line is 3 innings, none earned. Is he responsible for errors too?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The wind is blowing in at like 25 MPH. You think the pitchers don't know that and are just trying to pump the zone and get fly balls? I am not one who puts much into pitching to the score, but you can pitch to the weather. Hard contact today isn't likely to turn into much because the wind is going to kill the ball. Castro probably hits that ball 425 feet on a normal day. Today it went about 350. The pitchers know it and are pitching to it.
    THIS. There should be zero walks today by any pitcher. Only excuse is because it's so cold and the hand can get numb.

Now that was a good inning.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    He's just awful. I can't listen to him anymore. I'd be better off by turning the radio off and guessing what will happen than hearing him explain the plays.

As for Stubbs, I like what's going on right now. I'm not criticizing, but how'd he not get a triple on that? It did look like he was grimacing on 3rd base in the first inning after his SB. Hope he didn't pull anything.
    I think he may have got a strawberry on that slide. He slid right on his knee.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Now that was a good inning.
    What was that? Five pitches? Now that's efficient!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Just tuned in. Looks like Homer's line is 3 innings, none earned. Is he responsible for errors too?
    Heisey drop on deep fly ball. He bumped into the wall on a fly ball that should have been on the street. Wind blew it back and Heisey misplayed it. That scored one. A single after that scored the other.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    No. Heisey misplayed a ball to the wall in LF. If the wind wasn't blowing in though it would have been a homer IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    I think he may have got a strawberry on that slide. He slid right on his knee.
    He is a comical foot first slider. He hits the base with his hip like it's a speed bump.

Turn Off Ads?