Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 2/1

Birthdays: 2/1

Reds:

Kent Mercker (44) -Reds property on three separate occasions. Pitched the last no-hitter to date by a Braves pitcher (I think).

Tim Naehring (45) -Product of Cincinnati's LaSalle H.S. and Miami University. Homered in his second-to-last major league AB.

Geoff Combe (56) -Had the Southern League at his mercy in '78 and '79, but couldn't quite get over the hump in the majors.

Hal King (68) -His homer on July 1, 1973 will live forever in the hearts of all Reds fans.

Paul Blair (68) -"Motormouth"...Has four World Series rings and eight Gold Gloves. In 1971 he tried something few others have- converting to switch-hitting at the major league level. 57 ABs and 11 hits later he gave it up.

Others:

Danny Thompson -Twins shortstop of the early 1970s who played the last few years of his career after being diagnosed with leukemia. Died only ten days after playing his final game. Teammate Harmon Killebrew organized a yearly golf tournament in his honor that has to date raised almost 9 million dollars to fight the disease.

NOTE: On Thursday, Friday and Sunday mornings I'll be unable to get to a computer. I'm going to try to do these the night before and post them then, but if the morning rolls around and you don't see birthdays, someone else could jump in and cover for me. I'd hate for us to miss a day...
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 02-01-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 2/1

Yep, I will always have a special place for Hal King since I was at that doubleheader. Never forget that one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

I was there also. First game of the doubleheader and that homer proved to be the big turn-around for the Reds season. Epic!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    I was there also. First game of the doubleheader and that homer proved to be the big turn-around for the Reds season. Epic!
    Where did you sit that day? We were in the 1st row in lf green seats. If you remember Davey Lopes hit a home run in that first game. I have that ball he hit. It hit off my brothers hand and landed in my brother-in-laws lap. being the brat kid in the family they gave the ball to me to keep. That was one of the best days of my youth.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

My brother and I were in the blue seats a little bit down from first base but quite a few rows back. Somehow I just felt that this homer was the spark that the Reds needed to get their act together.

An extra special day to remember for you, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Hal King (68) -His homer on July 1, 1973 will live forever in the hearts of all Reds fans.
    That home run started the Reds on a 60-26 finish that, of course, overcame the Dodgers lead and gave Cincy the division championship.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Paul Blair (68) -"Motormouth"...Has four World Series rings and eight Gold Gloves. In 1971 he tried something few others have- converting to switch-hitting at the major league level. 57 ABs and 11 hits later he gave it up.
    Paul Blair was a key player to our 1979 Division Title. I think he and Geronimo platooned in center.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?